Change background image

Best paper maps

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by shame dysart, Apr 19, 2018.

1. shame dysart

shame dysart Active Member

Hey all just after some recommendations on paper maps for 4wding in NSW mainly coffs region.
    Yes i know of hema just look at all my options before i buy.

2. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

Forestry commission Maps show every track. Many have been closed off in recent years. Other may be overgrown. I scanned and calibrated these maps on Oziexplorer PC and run them on my devices.

Attached Files:

3. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

There is also the newly released EoTopo maps from the ExplorOz Team of the whole of Australia in ozf4 format for Oziexplorer only. These will cost about $100 coffs.jpg coffs1.jpg

shame dysart likes this.
  4. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

mauriceb and shame dysart like this.
  5. shame dysart

shame dysart Active Member

Cheers thanks mate these are 2 very good options

6. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Yep I used this https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html as well recently, downloaded what i needed for Kosciuszko National Park and took to a printer, cost me $20 per map because their 1:25000 come out an odd size not a standard A1. Probably cheaper to have them sent unless you can print A1 or A0. If you look at the State catalogue a lot are only available as 1:25000, system won't let you download 1:50000 or 1:100000 unless that is the only one available as the areas become more remote. Maybe I missed something but I could find them to access, could find map titles for 1:50 and 1:100 but couldn't access.
    This site is actually quite a good resource. You can zoom in and change the opacity of the topo overlay and sat image. Well worth a look even if you are just using it for planning.

Ditch and shame dysart like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think 50k is the sweet spot for detail, cost and coverage, if you're navigating in areas where signage is unreliable.

shame dysart likes this.