best muddies?

tuf truck

need new tires i have currently got pro comps but its time to replace them. i do a lot of mud and rock driving im trying to decide between bfg mud terrain km2 or micky tompson baja claw im going to run them on a second set of rims so will mainly be drivern in the bush have anyone had either of these? whats your opinion of them?
cheers

jack48

Too many options, great reply on most tyres, but it is usually the almighty $$$ that matters most. How serious are you for real mud tyres or do you want the best of both worlds, last forever but do not work where I want them to?

tuf truck

Too many options, great reply on most tyres, but it is usually the almighty $$$ that matters most. How serious are you for real mud tyres or do you want the best of both worlds, last forever but do not work where I want them to?

yea pretty serious did even think about simex centerpeads think ill just go with bfg

jack48

I still have 5 of 33X10.5X16 Silverstone Xtremes @ $ 250 each if you want them. Same as Centrepedes
an awesome tyre, more open tread. PM me if intererested, the last at this price. going 16"gives you half an inch extra diff clearance.

nothawhiteGQ

I still have 5 of 33X10.5X16 Silverstone Xtremes @ $ 250 each if you want them. Same as Centrepedes
an awesome tyre, more open tread. PM me if intererested, the last at this price. going 16"gives you half an inch extra diff clearance.

Im just trying to figure out how going 16" rims gives you more diff clearence?:confused:

The tyre is still the same diameter. Just means you have less sidewall..

I just woke up so i could be wrong but i dont think so..

Cheers

teza h

Im just trying to figure out how going 16" rims gives you more diff clearence?:confused:

The tyre is still the same diameter. Just means you have less sidewall..

I just woke up so i could be wrong but i dont think so..

Cheers

No mate yu not dreeming, the overall diameter is same, same.

Sambartom

Any photos mate...

jack48

Done some homework guys, you maybe right, when I went from one brand of 15"tyres to 16" same size it gave me an extra diff clearance, oh well sh!t happens.
Anyhow still have the 16" and just went thru my stock yesterday and found 6 only 31x10.5x15 Silverstone Xtremes @ $230.00 each and waiting for a promised sale of 5 of 33x10.5x15 Extremes till next Wednesday, if he does not come good they will be available @ $250.00 each, this is the last 33" available for some time.

Cannot down load photo but these tyres are on Ebay if you care to look, not by me, we will not use Ebay as we do not need to go down that line of sales, busy enough without it. We don't want to lose track of sales and we enjoy the personal service we offer. Jack
feel free to PM me, thanks

tuf truck

Done some homework guys, you maybe right, when I went from one brand of 15"tyres to 16" same size it gave me an extra diff clearance, oh well sh!t happens.
Anyhow still have the 16" and just went thru my stock yesterday and found 6 only 31x10.5x15 Silverstone Xtremes @ $230.00 each and waiting for a promised sale of 5 of 33x10.5x15 Extremes till next Wednesday, if he does not come good they will be available @ $250.00 each, this is the last 33" available for some time.

Cannot down load photo but these tyres are on Ebay if you care to look, not by me, we will not use Ebay as we do not need to go down that line of sales, busy enough without it. We don't want to lose track of sales and we enjoy the personal service we offer. Jack
feel free to PM me, thanks

hey mate they not much good to me im after a set of 35/12.5/15 muddies do you have them? if so how much? thanks anyway for the offer on the others

jack48

hey mate they not much good to me im after a set of 35/12.5/15 muddies do you have them? if so how much? thanks anyway for the offer on the others

Not available at the moment, shall let you know a delivery date, have just fitted 35x12.5x16 Xtremes onto the Bundy on 8" black wheels. Bit slow on take off, might have to use low range LOL the poor 2.4 petrol doesn't like em on the hard top but they are only for playing. Haven't had em off rd yet, no time available, hopefully during the next week.

stackyj

About a year ago, australian 4x4 action did a mass comparo of mud tyres, including the new KM2 from BFG. The reult? Your micky thompson baja claws were rated the best mud tyre, however BFG km2 was rated the best all rounder and took out overall number 1.

tuf truck

About a year ago, australian 4x4 action did a mass comparo of mud tyres, including the new KM2 from BFG. The reult? Your micky thompson baja claws were rated the best mud tyre, however BFG km2 was rated the best all rounder and took out overall number 1.

i keep hearing all different storyies about tyres some say mickys others say bfg, but im pretty sure im getin bfg km2 can only try them and see how they go i guss i mainly play local anyway which is a bit of everything so they proberly suit the best

andyjim243

I've used both, and would go the BFG's if using on road a lot, other wise, it's hard to seperate the KM2 and the MTZ both self clean quite well and wear well. I prefer the KM2 personally.
The claw is a little over rated, there wear badly and scollop the tread on all trucks i've seen. They don't work any better in the mud and clay than the KM2 or MTZ. I you need a comp style mud tyre, buy a Maxxis Trepador or Simex Jungle trekker/centipede, after that you are spending $600+ per tyre
Good luck, KM2's are are good all rounder and work very well.
Cheers Andy

grit

Muds and blacktop don't really mix. I run MT Baja Claws (when I think they are needed) whiich are 80/20 and not good for a daily driver. Awesome off-road in either Mud or rocks. Its always best to have a second set (of AT's or less aggressive muds) for prolonged periods of daily driving on the blacktop. I was a little surprised how well they perform on sand (as in climbing dunes, etc) when the tyre pressure is correct. The simple choice is whether to compromise or have 2 sets. Its good to know they are there and ready for when the going gets real tough...

stackyj

Why changing from pro comp

i keep hearing all different storyies about tyres some say mickys others say bfg, but im pretty sure im getin bfg km2 can only try them and see how they go i guss i mainly play local anyway which is a bit of everything so they proberly suit the best
Hey cheif, just wondering why the change from pro-comp? As in why are you not going with them again. I am also in the market for a new set of
tyres, I'm almost certain I'll be getting the bfg km2s and I just got a ripper quote at widetred in ferntree gully Vic, $349 a tyre and that's for the 285. Thing is iv had 3ppl tell me go pro comp, one of them, a 4x4 earth member, is the one trying to sell me them so she's bias hahahahaha sorry elise!! Ne ways talk bout the pro comp has been these new AT extreams. Just wondering if u have had an issue etc with pro comp

PAJ

From personal experience I've run my Mickey T claws in 35's on my rig which is a daily, and touring plus the rough stuff with the boys, I can not fault them with the exception of the off camber stuff which is not that bad. I would buy them again and reccomend them, but I'm going to try the Radial Treps next. It's all good to have two sets of tyres but I know if I got home late on a Sunday arvo I wouldn't be bothered to change to the smaller road tyres and trash my soft trail tyres.

As with everything tyres are a compromise, especially if you like to tour and do the "A" grade tracks on the weekends.

tuf truck

Hey cheif, just wondering why the change from pro-comp? As in why are you not going with them again. I am also in the market for a new set of
tyres, I'm almost certain I'll be getting the bfg km2s and I just got a ripper quote at widetred in ferntree gully Vic, $349 a tyre and that's for the 285. Thing is iv had 3ppl tell me go pro comp, one of them, a 4x4 earth member, is the one trying to sell me them so she's bias hahahahaha sorry elise!! Ne ways talk bout the pro comp has been these new AT extreams. Just wondering if u have had an issue etc with pro comp

gday mate what size was your price for? i brought the car with pro comps on it that are only 40% tread so cant really say much good or bad about them just gettin bfg because my mate is a manager of a tyre shop so i get a fair discount and they dont sell pro comps there but even with only that much tread the pro comps were good on the rock and dirt and ok in the mud for what they are. i have the pro comp xextreme they are not to bad with road noise either yes elise loves the pro comps

Towie

I run KM1's & find them great now with about 30K on em & plenty of tread with heaps of off road work.. just got back from the Cape with them no worries & a mate with the KM2's also great so i would not hesitate to run them again... & far better than the Coopers (2 sets) & a set of Bighorns which were noisey as hell but grip like shit.

We do alot of rocky stuff up here i am not into mud much as i hate the clean up
I do have a second set of 35/12.5/16 Creepy Crawlers which are a rag tire & are awesome & no probs running 10psi without beadlocks... but would not run anything that agressive as an everyday tire.... they do have sipes which is why i chose them over the Treps..

Claws are way overated & out of date IMO but the MTZ's seem very popular up here in FNQ

Last edited: