• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Best muddies on road?

south_maw

Hi guys
If money was not an issue, which mud terain performs the best on wet roads?
As i have a dual cab ute, i want to minimise the tail becoming slide-happy every corner
Im lookingat a 31x10.5x15 (or equivelent in a 16inch)
Cheers

chilli

I had 33 inch Maxxis Bighorn on my GQ patrol and never experienced any slippage on the road. Very good value for the money and there is a newer one. I think it is MT764.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've tried BFG, Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, Cooper and Procomp. I reckon the best in the wet on bitumen and in mud on rocks and just about any terrain, have worn absurdly supurbly is the Procomp extreme mud terrain. You did say "if money was no object" because they are not cheap. Mine were $470 each for 265 x 70 x 17. I have just sold that car and have ordered the same breed in 33 x 12.5 x 17 for my new jeep.

NIAL8R

I just put a set of Maxxis MT762 BigHorns on my HiLux Duel cab ( 33/12.5/15 ) and havent had anything to complain about yet. they are wearing good, no slippin & slidin in the wet on the black top. cant really comment on the off road department only done a couple of tracks wear i didnt have to air down and what not.....

ruffgq

I've tried BFG, Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, Cooper and Procomp. I reckon the best in the wet on bitumen and in mud on rocks and just about any terrain, have worn absurdly supurbly is the Procomp extreme mud terrain. You did say "if money was no object" because they are not cheap. Mine were $470 each for 265 x 70 x 17. I have just sold that car and have ordered the same breed in 33 x 12.5 x 17 for my new jeep.
I'd have to agree about the Pro Comp extreme MT, they would be the best aggressive tyre I've driven on the road. The only things that let them down in my opinion is the price and they are not as good as say a BFG in the mud, but in all other conditions they are great.

south_maw

What sort of price would i be looking at for the procomp extreme mts in a 31x10.5x15? (if you all are talking about the extreme mud terains that is)