Best GPS for Offroad Tracking for 4WD trips.

4x4 Earth Black Friday Sale

MatRug

Hi all

I am looking at a GPS for mapping of 4WD off-road trips. I was looking at something that will record the trip via GPS & then I can download it on my PC to a digital map to create trip logs for future events. Ideally something I can make notes on (e.g. Great bog hole, Nice view, extreme 4WD only & so on). And something that is simple to use :rolleyes:
Any ideas what is out there & where to get them. Pricing would be good too if you have that info on hand (I have looked at the new 4x4 earth map data base & it may be suitable in the future, but not yet ;)).

Cheers,
MatRug :D

rob_macca67

Can only speak from what I use - I've got a Garmin Montana 650T & I use this in conjunction with the Garmin Basecamp. I can add Waypoints/Notes, Other people's tracklogs and then once I'm happy, then upload it into the 650T and all is good.... I assume the Hema / Ozi-Explorer stuff would be similar....

MatRug

Can only speak from what I use - I've got a Garmin Montana 650T & I use this in conjunction with the Garmin Basecamp. I can add Waypoints/Notes, Other people's tracklogs and then once I'm happy, then upload it into the 650T and all is good.... I assume the Hema / Ozi-Explorer stuff would be similar....
yep, ive looked at the Hema stuff & Ozi-Explorer but they want a kidney to buy it all. That's why I'm looking at all the options out there.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Not bfg’s one. It’s been a horrible failure.
Just downloaded it to give it a try, and so far it seems alright.

If the failure you speak of is due to the issues with registering, the developer seems to have fixed that, as I was able to sign up first go.

From a few minutes of playing with it, I don’t think it’s going to suit MatRug, but so far it seems to do what it says it will.

Mickkk

Just downloaded it to give it a try, and so far it seems alright.

If the failure you speak of is due to the issues with registering, the developer seems to have fixed that, as I was able to sign up first go.

From a few minutes of playing with it, I don’t think it’s going to suit MatRug, but so far it seems to do what it says it will.
19A0BA0D-6605-403B-9416-BC62D47B945B.png
Just tried again, I keep getting this.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
View attachment 51919 Just tried again, I keep getting this.
Well that sucks.
I did sign up using my Facebook account, perhaps that’s what makes the difference.

Going by the responses from the developer to the many negative reviews, I have a feeling they’ll probably have it sorted soon. Well one would hope anyway.

For what it’s worth, it doesn’t really have the most detailed maps in its library.

Hoyks

I have myTracks running on my iphone. It sits there doing its thing happily tracking my movements. I don't know how to add notes while I'm traveling though.

I also have a Magellan eXplorist GPS that does allow you to log your travels. It has a touch screen and is more aimed at hikers, but lets you tag locations with symbols and notes. I'd look at a Garmin though, Magellan are a bit shit.

Paddler Ed

Are you wanting a 'proper' GPS or an app on a device that'll do the same?

I used Memory Map on an Android tablet for tracking, and just used free 1:250,000 maps. Undoubtedly there were gaps there in terms of roads etc, but for free it wasn't too bad - I'm also used to Memory Map having used it on desktop for the last 12 years or so.

I also have a Garmin GPSMap64s that runs full Garmin Topo maps on it - when I plug that into the laptop I get all the maps up on BaseCamp which makes it easy to export the GPX files etc. About $500 from Ryda's eBay store when there's a deal on.

I'm also experimenting with what I can do from QGIS into Memory Map etc.... but that's another story... I now have the NSW SIX Maps Topo downloaded to my laptop though... and I might be able to get it into Memory Map...

Shmang

+1 for Memory Map,

I can run it on the ipad and/or my android phone with the same account, so only need to buy the maps once.
The PC software is pretty good to use, and once again uses the same account so the same maps again.

sharkcaver

I've been using the ozi platform for nearly a decade now. The PC version isn't cheap, but android version is. Couple that with the 46Gb of mapping data I have and its not an inexpensive exercise. Personally, I reckon you need both versions, android whilst mobile, PC version for planning/editing etc at home. I only recently went over to android while mobile, and its been a win. No rooting around with lappy's in the car now, just a 10" tablet. That said, it does everything I need and it does it well, but it comes at a cost. But you can make pretty pictures over time :)
Tracklogs 2011-2017.jpg

boobook

Hey Sharkcaver. I think your GPS logger has a serious positioning error. It shows that you were in an Eastern state for about 200 km between Poeppel corner and Birdsville. That can't be right.

Apart from that, nice.

Albynsw

yep, ive looked at the Hema stuff & Ozi-Explorer but they want a kidney to buy it all. That's why I'm looking at all the options out there.
They cost less than $100 for the whole set, I think that is pretty reasonable, even less if you use discount iTunes cards
Hema use the same platform as Memory maps which I find an easy to use system that you can add notes and photos to.

Ditch

I've been using the ozi platform for nearly a decade now. The PC version isn't cheap, but android version is. Couple that with the 46Gb of mapping data I have and its not an inexpensive exercise. Personally, I reckon you need both versions, android whilst mobile, PC version for planning/editing etc at home. I only recently went over to android while mobile, and its been a win. No rooting around with lappy's in the car now, just a 10" tablet. That said, it does everything I need and it does it well, but it comes at a cost. But you can make pretty pictures over time :)
Got to agree with you there, have been using Ozi for about 8 years now. Planning trips on the laptop then transferring tracks & waypoints over to a pedestal mounted 10 inch netbook in the 4by. Like the file attachment feature for waypoints - can carry info on campsites, POI`s etc. all on the one device. Being able to use Google Satellite & maps on the same platform is also an advantage. 3D mapping & the ability to scan in your own maps also comes in handy at times

Just started using the tablet version as well but mainly have it as a backup in case something goes wrong with the computer.

Bit pricey to set up but worth it in the long run.

sharkcaver

Hey Sharkcaver. I think your GPS logger has a serious positioning error. It shows that you were in an Eastern state for about 200 km between Poeppel corner and Birdsville. That can't be right.

Apart from that, nice.
Sorry mate, I don't understand your question. Of course I was in an Eastern State between Birdsville and just before K1, as its all in Queensland. Its 150 odd K's from Birdsville to the NT border, then another 20 odd K's down to Poeppel via K1 and French Line. Here is a close up of the particular track. I must not understand your question- I keep re-reading it trying to understand what you mean???

The red is the active track, which directly lays over the inside Birdsville track, QAA, K1 and the French line. No positional inaccuracies there. There is an error though: Just to the east of Birdsville, between the 40Km mark and the point of interest #4, the track turns blue. That was a gps fade out and it draws a blue line between the start and end point of actual logging, filling in the blank so to speak.

birdsville.jpg