Best crank battery and best deep cycle for under bonnet? 1HZ.

muc the truck

after killing a pair of batteries with Pilbara/Kimberly heat and Gibb River Rd corrugations I just went for best warrantee so at least I get 3 yrs out of them
gib river kills calcium carbonates like nothing else . Everyone I know that's had them has had to replace there battery around there on this trip . The first road house my friend came to had a mountain of batteries out the back from it . Its harsh. His agm fridge bat saved him from being stuck about a km off the road were he puled up for the night. I understand were you are coming from . I too have bought products for there warranty.

Triton14

So opening up an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I need a new battery for the MN Triton & looking into Optima as they seem to be a good HD vibration resistant option.

Ive been through many threads here & looking at these because of most users high opinion of them.

Any MN Triton owners out there with Optima & what model.

Thinking the Yellow D27F is what I need, does that fir the footprint of the MN?

Any opinions welcomed.

Cheers

shaun0

I'll just leave this here. I have a 100ah lithium in the engine bay for over 18 months now and not a single issue. It charges very fast and i have hardly had it under 90% the lowest was around 55% siting at my mates place for more than 7 days with the fridge on. So much misinformation regarding these. My other bat is an Optima D27

Triton14

I'll just leave this here. I have a 100ah lithium in the engine bay for over 18 months now and not a single issue. It charges very fast and i have hardly had it under 90% the lowest was around 55% siting at my mates place for more than 7 days with the fridge on. So much misinformation regarding these. My other bat is an Optima D27

What is the Lithium you have Shaun?

BISON

Me personally I love my Lead Crystal Battery, better usable hours then all others, can be completely discharged and recharged and wont lose capacity (not something you should be doing but they can be brought back to life unlike alot of others i have used including most expensive big branders). They like higher amp charging, they are safer, last longer, handle heat better but they weigh a tonne and pricey but no more then others.

TonyF8

I have an 1997 80 series, i use supercharge allrounder or century overlander's for the crank battery. The auxiliary is always a Fullriver AGM, i average 7 years from each batteries, if that's not a solid recommendation I don't know what is.
Stay safe and play fair.

boobook

Me personally I love my Lead Crystal Battery, better usable hours then all others, can be completely discharged and recharged and wont lose capacity (not something you should be doing but they can be brought back to life unlike alot of others i have used including most expensive big branders). They like higher amp charging, they are safer, last longer, handle heat better but they weigh a tonne and pricey but no more then others.

Yes I have had mine nearly 3 years and have been giving mine a punishing lately.

While the jury is still out for me, it does seem to hold a charge well. No doubt that it shyts all over my previously Optimas.

2002GU3

I have an all rounder battery that I use as my second battery, it says on the label that it has 760CCA / 105AH deep cycle, I've never tried to start my car with it but with 760 CCA it should kick over pretty much any car.

BISON

Yeh agree Boo book. i used optima for years the lead crystal runs rings around it not sure why they havent taken off. better then LIon IMOP more robust better deep cycling cheaper. Only - compared to LION is weight.

shaun0

Yeh agree Boo book. i used optima for years the lead crystal runs rings around it not sure why they havent taken off. better then LIon IMOP more robust better deep cycling cheaper. Only - compared to LION is weight.

Have you used lithium? The only disadvantage I see is cost in every other way its awesome. Ive never had a single problem with mine and its in the engine bay. Its running as the secondary to my Optima and most comments on lithium ive seen are from people that have never used them. Why do you do say its better deep cycling? What about ability to throw heaps of amps into it and charge it up fully in a short drive thats one big advantage ive found also Ive never come close using its capacity most camping trips with the engel 45 its still way up in the 90% range and even after a few days its never been below 60%. Its also made my 190w solar blanket just about redundant ive never had to use it unless Im camped in one spot for 4 or 5 day or more even then no idea have never needed it. Ive used it once to jump start the optima as well. Basicaly ill never go back now its lithium for now on.

BISON

Now dont get me wrong LIon are good. But expensive and not ENviro friendly to get rid off. but...
Yes i have owned several Li on batteries and wont go back. They dont like heat. 50% of people are lucky 50% have failures.
Ok sooo. Once again this is IMOP im sure i have heard some crappy lead crystals going around but there is only one you should buy.
Filling a battery beyond full state-of-charge turns excess energy into heat and gas. With Li-ion, this can result in a deposit of unwanted materials. Prolonged over-charge causes permanent damage, trickle chargers for AGMS and lead dont have this problem.

I have never seen a Li On battery from 0v be recharged back to life and get back 90% if not 100% or original charge. Lion are expensive to say the least but they do get back the most amount of DOD but being careful not to go to low or it dies in the ass. and once dead are DEAD!!!Lead Crystal batteries can be discharged in full frequently, even to 0 Volt. This makes Lead Crystal batteries extremely resilient for deep discharging. and Lead crystal dont suffer from SULFATION. from memory LIon are not good for winching high current draw applications could be wrong here so correct me. But i do know Lead Crystals are great. SSS Winch Challenge in Queensland the 1st & 2nd winners had Lead Crystals powering their winches.

Lead Crystal batteries are half the cost and is the newest tech out atm, and was built to be must robust. Has double the shelf life of all batteries including LIon. !!!Lead crystal prefer a 30% charge rate from memory LIon is 20%!!! (so 200amp LIon needs a 40amp charger a lead crystal is 60amp)
from my many years in the trade Lion batteries in your tools left out in the sun have killed soooo many of my makita batteries (not sure if its a makita thing :) )))
Lead crystal has the least of all batteries in capacity loss, and the highest usable AMP hours per rating. Has the best operating temp range of all batteries being -40 deg c to +65deg c (Lion is -20 to +65 deg c).

ALso my personal preference i would never ever leave a battery inside my wagon (in the back of my car unless it was a ute) as all batteries release gasses being sealed or not. and no one wants to wreck havoc on their lungs.

shaun0

No worries I can get a lead crystal here as well I have a local supplier and I like what Ive seen but honestly my lithium is awesome paired with the redarc 1240D it pumps out about 42amps at first and then gradually gets less down to a few amps to fully charged and its really quick. I have this for almost 2 years now and no issues now not a single issue. 45c heat ambient last summer no issues I dont see what the issues are. Ive had this thing flat as as well whil overseas no issues. Power it up with an AGM charger as well at the time just to to accept charge from the redarc and its been no problem ever since. Ive since got a 60amp lithium AC charger but dont need it.

BISON

Honestly mate
Lion are great too. but they are more pricey and if i can save myself 2-300 i will. lead crystal i think will be a little more robust and i have been burnt twice with lion, 2 different expensive brands i wont mention but extremely popular and cost me over 1k each time. warranty was void due to being put in an engine bay as they say engine bays can reach 75deg. One other was the useable A/hrs convinced me to try crystal. My saying is if it aint broke dont fix it. so if your having a great run with Lion with what you do, stick with it. They save loads of weight and room compared to others. if in the future your situation changes keep Lead crystal in mind.

Last edited:

dno67

Just picked up another starter battery today.
20190628_171047.jpg

The real dead pile is growing.
20190628_171126.jpg