TassieTourer

G'day all,

I'm starting to accumulate a bit of money and was considering upgrading from my 2003 Mitsubishi Trtiton MK 2.8L Turbo Diesel. My budget is under $10,000 for sure, but i was wondering what vehicles i could purchase fairly cheap and modify (Over in Tasmania, there are stuff all parts for Tritons. Pajero parts, on the other hand, are very common.)

Every man and his dog has their flogged out 80 Series or GU/GQ Patrol for sale for $15k (or swaps for vy ss commodore), but i was thinking more of a GQ Ute, 60 Series Cruiser or Land Rover Discovery. Any advice would help, but i'm happy to keep the almighty triton.

Ideally, it has to be reliable, have between 200 and 300 thousand kilometres, be roomy enough to fit me, my dog (a Whippet) and my missus, and for me to be able to chuck my bike in or on the back.

Cheers.

Last edited:

dirvine

If the bike is not pedal power then forget the Cruiser or Discovery, wont fit in the back, At the price you want to pay reliability is very questionable. Better to say a vehicle that is cheap to fix with an abundance of spares (new or used) available.

TassieTourer

If the bike is not pedal power then forget the Cruiser or Discovery, wont fit in the back, At the price you want to pay reliability is very questionable. Better to say a vehicle that is cheap to fix with an abundance of spares (new or used) available.

Its just a pushbike. I have heard Land Rover's aren't as reliable as other vehicles but i like the idea of some luxury. Otherwise I should probably stick to something bulletproof like a gq or cruiser

Bomber2012

Under 10k is a very low budget , you might get lucky but expect to buy somebody else’s problems .
If the triton is still good I’d stay with that and save some more money .

discomatt

LR not reliable , cruisers and Patrols bullet proof, this should be in the joke thread...
Seriously though if all you have is 10k stick with what you have, no point in changing a old crapper for a new to you old crapper unless you want an old crapper for smashing through bog holes and extreme w4ding then get an old Patrol but that will very soon see more than 10 k

littleGem

This is something I've been monitoring for the last 12-18 months or so, I don't believe these days there are any "Budget 4x4's" the days of Sierra's, Feroza, 2k GQs and 80 series etc seem to be done (and the one's that are still around that price aren't worth even scrapping), I've seen Sierras fetch upto 18K for a good condition one and a standard price for a 4.5 80 is around the 11-12k mark, for those prices you may as well start looking at loans etc for a modernish dual cab for not much more $$$ a base 2012+ Dmax/Colorado is around 20, and a decent triton is around 17.5, the days of cheap 4wds seem to be over for the time being any way, you're only real hope is to just watch gumtrew, carsales etc set your budget at 10k and refresh it every few days etc and see what comes up, take some test drives, measurements etc and play it by ear