Change background image

Best 80 out there

Discussion in 'Vehicles 4 Sale' started by discomatt, Aug 8, 2018.

1. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Hi all, just got a txt from a mate who has decided to sell his 80 series.
    Its a genuine 2 owner car with NO expence spared with the current owner who has spent a bomb and maintained it like it was his only child.
    Its a factory turbo auto with a list of mods so long it would take an hour to write them all up and one of the toughest and best 80's I have ever come across. Its got 450km on the clock so a lot of km but as we all know these 4bys can do that east with correct maintenance.
    Now the scary bit, he wants around the 30k mark so that counts out a lot of people but if you want an awesome 80 with heaps of goodies, and I mean heaps its worth a look
    Its not on car sales yet but if your interested send me a PM for his contact details

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

castle.jpg

3. discomatt

I did have a laugh at his expense but I have seen people asking insane prices for 80's in the past and this one is a good one but...
    I did offer him a trade, his 80 for my Disco 1 plus I would throw in a free driving lesson:D

Spooner, callmejoe and 80lover96gxl like this.
  4. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

you got a pic Matt , rust usually kills them before the motor dies .

5. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

You know what? He will probably get it too. Vehicles sell for what ever perceived value they have. Factory turbo diesel 80's are still extremely sought after, especially if its after 1996.

I sold my 1991 factory 80 nearly a year ago now for 21k, with 390k on the clock

Aaron

80lover96gxl, Albynsw and Bomber2012 like this.
  6. Spooner

Im sure they are , but hardly a Brock Commodore appreciating type asset for a 20-25 year old car .
    Ol mate in town had a really neat 96 year 80 that he started price at $19k
    He could have sold it 5 times over at full price , to serious wanters , but guess what ? , they all fell through.
    They could not get finance & insurance for it :D
    Ended up selling it for $11 cash .

7. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I agree, but there aren't many 4WD's that age that are still sold for so much. I was asking 22 for mine, and got 21. Had a fair bit of interest too, so it wasn't priced incorrectly.

The guy that bought it paid cash, and was paying about $900 a month in insurance. Yep, you read that right.

It's still not too difficult to get insurance, if you are prepared to pay for it. Not everyone gets finance either.

Aaron

Spooner likes this.
  8. discomatt

Just goes to show how stupid some people are, at that price less than 2 years and he would have forked out more cash than what he spent on the car:confused:

9. Spooner

There is a sucker born every minute , especially if they come here from overseas cashed up , so who knows ?

10. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

The price of 80s was one factor when I brought my Disco. I wanted a factory turbo one but I couldnt justify the asking price for most of them - all the ones I seen where in fairly average condition for the age.

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  11. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

yep had 25k when i was looking for a 80 ended up paying 4750.00 for a 91 basic and rebuilding it with the rest of the cash, because there is more than a motor when looking at cars of that age.

Spooner likes this.
  12. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Yep. I think he was shopping around for a better price though

True, but a lot do sell for that sort of money. This was a young Aussie bloke through and through

Agreed - I had a few issues over a short time and was tired of it, and figured as the 100 series TD's were finally dropping in price due to the 200's it wouldn't be long before the 80's lost a lot of their value.

Not wrong mate
    Aaron

13. Spooner

Thats a smart way to do it mate . They are a great 4wd and built to last unlike the things we have today .
    I guess they are becoming the realm of 4x4 enthusiasts and you can't really put a price on one .
    They are definitely out of the daily driver range these days ;)

14. SeaJay

SeaJay Active Member

$900 a month insurance is a bit steep, mine is insured for 40k and its just over $30 a month

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  15. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Yep. It would have put me off buying it for sure. He was about 19, and had already had an accident, and I think it was insured for about the same value.

I was paying about 900 a year to have it covered for 42k

Aaron

16. discomatt

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  17. Spooner

Cant see it , its been removed .
    All I see is a 78 Kingswood SL for $28k :eek:
    The worlds gone mad lol.

18. discomatt

fixed , link now works

19. Barra GU

Barra GU Well-Known Member

To be honest with you lot asking 30k for a 2 owner turbo diesel 80 series in great condition isnt ludacris as there are many patrols and cruisers out there with engine conversions asking for much more...

My rig looks like crap and i wouldnt ask for anything less than 35k and my rig looks like a pos lol

Personally though i would pay 30k for a decent 80 series if it grabbed me but i personally do not like the look of those rims, the stickers, the rear bar and side steps and also the fact that its only got a rear auto locker and aint twin locked....

I guess what im saying is if i was to pay 30k for one i wouldnt want to have to spend a dollar on it...
    He may get 25k though since thats his asking price now.

Best of luck though it does seem like a nice rig