Bendeathra October Long week end.

Split pin

Our little family group is planning a camping trip to Bendeathra camping grounds this long weekend. If any body is interested just give me a yell and I will forward any information we have.

Family range from young couples to old farts like me and the kids from 18 months to old farts like me lol so everybody is welcome will keep you all posted.

P:S Guess us going depends on weather we get our patrol back from Brunswick first!

Kento80

I would be very keen to go there on the LW. Any info you could forward Split Pin would be much appreciated. Also, just wondering if anyone knows about fishing opportunities around there.

dysolve

I am going down next week end, maybe I can try and make it back for that weekend also. I will let you all know what the roads are like. what why do you guys go in? I am from canberra so I come from capt's flat and the sydney boys come via braidwood. we all meet at the capt's flat road turn off.

do any of you have a track logged from that side?

grit

Bendethra is a great spot. I have been in from both Dry Creek end which I highly recommend if you have the extra time, and via Dampier Trig from Snowball Road.
The caves are a nice little added feature for those fit enough to survive the walk.
I think the best camping is a couple of K's (& several crossings) into the valley. I had all the tracks plotted on my new GPS which decided it didn't want to share them with the computer (had to flash the firmware and lost it all).
I'll check my old logs on the handheld GPS and if you have no luck finding it elsewhere, let me know & I will upload them.
Bendethra was my first choice for the Middle Earth Meetup, mainly due to the enormous space available and decent tracks close as well as the south coast being only a short drive away. Maybe next time...

Unless I'm fortunate enough and things change this end allowing me to make the trip, take heaps of pics and post them up for others to see what they are missing out on. When the weather's good its a great spot.

grit

Okay, I had a look and yes I do have the track in along Merricumbine Fire Trail from Dry Creek crossing. Its a Garmin file and would suit Mapsource, Shonkymaps, etc. I may need to do a little bit of work to it before uploading and will have a look at doing it over the next few days (time permitting).

cloughcarib

Does anyone know what the track conditions are like going into the campground?

All the track information I can find, suggests that taking our old trailer may not be a good idea. But I'm not sure where the campsite is.

Cheers. Clough.

teza h

Hi Clough, the tracks are very verry steep with some hair pin bends and are not wide enough for two cars to pass in many places, people do take off road trailers down there though.Any hint of rain is a worry going up or down. The camp site is in a deep vally, its marked in the south east forest map.

cloughcarib

Cheers teza.

I think we'll pass on the trip this time, until I get around to building a trailer I trust off-road.

Cheers

Split pin

We took our trailer last october weekend

We took our trailer last time as long as you dont go like a hairy goat you should be fine. I think I may be able to load some photos

Walkabout

Clough 2 months back when I was last there people had bike trailers (no higher than a std box)
Only trouble you may have is ramp over if coming in from the coast and maybe a little water when crossing the creeks. Tracks in and out are in pretty good condition compared to years back, if coming in from braidwood stop b4 the cutbacks and work out your route as reversing could be an difficult (with the swb should not be an issue tho ;))

cloughcarib

Cheers Gordon

There is no way thay I'm taking my seive(trailer) near water(unless it's on the way back out and it doubles as a washing machine), so that settles that for now.

You've sparked some interest with us in the park, so we'll visit as soon as I get to the trailer build.

Let us know how your w/end goes, and have heaps of fun.

Cheers. Clough.

dysolve

I just got back from "bendy" yesterday, It was a great weekend. the track from snowball road was nice and dry, the deepest creek crossing did not even get up to my side step's ( 60 series with 2" lift) rained for about an hour over the whole three days but the wind got bad one night. The tracks a little cut up. (looks like someone had some issues getting out) but everything is good down there!

dysolve

got some info for the people heading down.

watch out for the wombats and roo's.. once its hits 4pm they are every where!

last location for telstra mobile coverage is 35°59'0.22"S 149°42'48.73"E

we camped here, great place and you will be left alone only one track in and once some one see you they turn around. 35°58'0.61"S 149°44'40.37"E

heaps of firewood here, may need a chainsaw 35°57'44.92"S 149°44'31.74"E

i found a google maps/earth track in, just search Queanbeyan to Bendethera

Split pin

lol well last year we went and thats when the patrol and camper decided on one of the wet steep down hill parts to leave the track. Just as well we had all the grog packed in the patrol and camper it made everybody else give us a hand in pulling her back on the track. I dont think we had a straight panel after that eposode lol. oh yeh the roof panel wasnt bent. Well the old girl was due for a complete rebuild any way lol. But we kept going and had a blast of a weekend.Only thing is I hope we get the patrol back from Brunswick in time for the longweekend. New body New motor just dont want to bend it again lol.

Split pin

Ok Every one
Looks like we will be meeting up at Suttons Forest Macas at 7.30 am Saturday 3rd October. I will be on Channel 26 uhf for those joining. Hopefully leaving by 8am for the 2 hour drive to dry river creek fire trail then roughly 70 ks of good driving up hill and down dale with a couple of water crossings thrown in. So hope to see you all there.

Cheers

Split Pin

gdog

I'm a regular visitor to those parts. If there has being any rain two weeks or so before your trip. Come in from the West, Captains Flat, if you plan to take a trailer/camper. Else it's just hard work from the East. Of course, if you love a Challenge.... Hope it stays fine for you!