Belt slip noise under load

Dynadan

2012 RG Colorado, replaced belt tensioner assembly and put new belt on because they were stuffed, now I only get the dreaded belt squeal when take off at low revs in 2nd / 3rd not from stop obviously but slow down speed up and when under load eg. pulling jetski out from boat ramp is the worst, doing my head in please help

You shouldn't have to put anything on the belt to make it grip properly. There will be an underlying problem; the belts not tight enough, pulleys out of alignment, pulleys worn, incorrect pulley. If its squeeled a fair bit already you may need to replace the belt. What belt brand did you use? There tends to be a big difference between some of the brands in terms of quality.

Aaron

Dynadan

You shouldn't have to put anything on the belt to make it grip properly. There will be an underlying problem; the belts not tight enough, pulleys out of alignment, pulleys worn, incorrect pulley. If its squeeled a fair bit already you may need to replace the belt. What belt brand did you use? There tends to be a big difference between some of the brands in terms of quality.

Aaron
I used the dayco tensioner assembly with the pulley it comes with and belt was exelbelt brand maybe should of got dayco belt aswell

I used the dayco tensioner assembly with the pulley it comes with and belt was exelbelt brand maybe should of got dayco belt aswell
You shouldn't have to do that. Dayco have a pretty good reputation. What brand does Holden use?

load shouldn't really have anything to do with belt slip?
If a belt is going to slip, it will always do it under heavy load. When you down change gears for example, it loads everything up. I've fried vee belts in the past doing this

Aaron

Dynadan

You shouldn't have to do that. Dayco have a pretty good reputation. What brand does Holden use?

If a belt is going to slip, it will always do it under heavy load. When you down change gears for example, it loads everything up. I've fried vee belts in the past doing this

Aaron
So it’s more turning a corner say in 3rd with revs low say should prob change to 2nd and it happens a little, if I’m going up hill eg. pulling the jetski out the water up the boat ramp it’s squeals really loud.

dno67

Aaron
I agree, theres any number of reasons a belt will squeel. Contamination during the fitting, incorrect tension and worn pulleys would be the three most common IMO. I would not recommend a permanent fix via beltgrip or candle wax, but sometimes it only needs one or two aplacations and a belt will settle in.
Over tensions belts can and will flog expensive parts also, like powersteering pump bearings.