Been lied too

Wheresmycat

Umm, not upset about anything mate.
I was just asking a simple question in reply to the previous post (which I quoted) about BURGERS which contain a meat substitute patty, that is designed to look like and taste like real meat.
No worries bud. Just with all the caps it seemed a bit shouty? :)

Reactions: CTL

mikehzz

Genuine question for you. Why only seafood? I get the sustainable and Australian bits, but why just seafood? Taste? What? How is seafood different to other sustainable, Australian meat products?
99% of fish are free until they die which is a very important consideration for a lot of people. I think you'll find a lot of vegetarians are against the factory farming methods that people use to maximize profits. I watch science fiction movies where aliens herd people into squalid conditions and then "process them" like they're animals, and can't help thinking that we do the same to millions of animals, especially pigs and chickens, on a daily basis, and very few people give a rats arse about it. No judgement on anyone else except myself. I choose not to support any enterprise that does that in any way. What things taste like is not a part of the equation.

mikehzz

Here's an interesting video that is relevant considering the times we are in. It compares factory farming conditions to Chinese wet markets and the farming conditions are possibly a real danger as virus breeding grounds if we aren't careful. Mad cow disease anyone?

CTL

99% of fish are free until they die which is a very important consideration for a lot of people. I think you'll find a lot of vegetarians are against the factory farming methods that people use to maximize profits. I watch science fiction movies where aliens herd people into squalid conditions and then "process them" like they're animals, and can't help thinking that we do the same to millions of animals, especially pigs and chickens, on a daily basis, and very few people give a rats arse about it. No judgement on anyone else except myself. I choose not to support any enterprise that does that in any way. What things taste like is not a part of the equation.
Thanks for the detailed reply. That was one aspect I had not considered. Makes perfect sense to me. And I was not judging, just trying to understand.
Conversely, and what probably clouded my thoughts when I first read your post, is that my brother-in-law who farms cattle and kills his own, refuses to eat seafood as he reckons it is not humanly caught or killed.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Here's an interesting video that is relevant considering the times we are in. It compares factory farming conditions to Chinese wet markets and the farming conditions are possibly a real danger as virus breeding grounds if we aren't careful. Mad cow disease anyone?

So this is another animal cruelty video. So is someone trying to say that all people who farm animals for meat are all cruel?
So should I post what some of the animal activists and vegans say and do to people who are not like them? No, because not like those people I do not have a hatred for them like some of them have for us.
Or is this just some??? of the animal activists/vegans trying to shove their opinions down the carnivore, omnivore throat.

Triton14

Times are changing all be it probably to slow on the humane/animal welfare production.

Unfortunately the problem is generally many low income end consumers want everything as cheap as they can get which you can understand but it still fuels high density production

I know within the catering industry generally speaking is trying to do what it can to promote on their menu's sustainable & ethically produced products.

Even large supermarket chains are getting on board with RSPCA approved & ethically reared products.

Its only a matter of time before those high density premises are pushed out.

As an example, think about this, if you had 2 options for an egg & bacon roll, roll #1 was made with a caged egg & high density feed lot produced pig & it cost $6 & roll #2 was made with a free range egg & free range raised pork & cost $10 which one would you buy??

Thats the question that needs to ask is if you know the difference between the 2 products which would you buy & how important is $4 to you??

The person selling the product is still making the same % only his cost went up on purchasing the free range product.

mikehzz

So this is another animal cruelty video. So is someone trying to say that all people who farm animals for meat are all cruel?
So should I post what some of the animal activists and vegans say and do to people who are not like them? No, because not like those people I do not have a hatred for them like some of them have for us.
Or is this just some??? of the animal activists/vegans trying to shove their opinions down the carnivore, omnivore throat.
No your're the one saying that all people who farm animals are cruel. The video points out obviously bad farming practices and says they could be a threat of virus mutation. NOWHERE DOES IT STATE OR EVEN INFER THAT EVERY FARMER EVERYWHERE IS CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely stupid generalizations and drawing the fricking longest bow possible, talk about a classic snowflake attitude, try hard not to get too offended. I don't give a flying crap about what you eat or how it got on your plate. It's none of my business. A guy asked a question and got an answer.

boobook

As an example, think about this, if you had 2 options for an egg & bacon roll, roll #1 was made with a caged egg & high density feed lot produced pig & it cost $6 & roll #2 was made with a free range egg & free range raised pork & cost $10 which one would you buy??
I'll take the one with thick cut, smoked bacon and 2 slightly runny eggs in a fresh bread roll with a splash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper thanks. Oh, and a Flat white coffee.

Vesko

The meat problem will be solved very soon - they already grow meat which is not an animal that must be killed for consumption.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
No your're the one saying that all people who farm animals are cruel. The video points out obviously bad farming practices and says they could be a threat of virus mutation. NOWHERE DOES IT STATE OR EVEN INFER THAT EVERY FARMER EVERYWHERE IS CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely stupid generalizations and drawing the fricking longest bow possible, talk about a classic snowflake attitude, try hard not to get too offended. I don't give a flying crap about what you eat or how it got on your plate. It's none of my business. A guy asked a question and got an answer.
I think this bloke and his associates are animal activists who want killing of all animals to be banned and tries full on scare tactics as his weapon.
Klaus Mitchell, Co-founder of @plantbasednews. “Plant Based News is a top resource for the latest up-to-the minute plant-based-interest content.
The aim is to use this website and social media platforms to create awareness about animal rights, environmentalism, ethical consumerism and the plant-based lifestyle.
Do you follow him?
P.S. Careful you don't get too excited and abusive as you may fall into that you know what category.

red hilux

I'll take the one with thick cut, smoked bacon and 2 slightly runny eggs in a fresh bread roll with a splash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper thanks. Oh, and a Flat white coffee.

thats this long weekends 4wd camp trip, brekky Sunday morning will be bacon and eggs between 2 slices of bread, toasted in a jaffle iron over a nice fire... and a flat white

dno67

Times are changing all be it probably to slow on the humane/animal welfare production.

Unfortunately the problem is generally many low income end consumers want everything as cheap as they can get which you can understand but it still fuels high density production

I know within the catering industry generally speaking is trying to do what it can to promote on their menu's sustainable & ethically produced products.

Even large supermarket chains are getting on board with RSPCA approved & ethically reared products.

Its only a matter of time before those high density premises are pushed out.

Thats the question that needs to ask is if you know the difference between the 2 products which would you buy & how important is $4 to you??

The person selling the product is still making the same % only his cost went up on purchasing the free range product.
Im not saying all farms are the same here.
But have you ever seen a rspca accredited free range broiler farm ?
I think most would be shocked, if they did.
Basically, large commercial farms have a small area for the birds the go out into the natural light and scratch around a little.
There are minimum requirements they have to meet to gain accreditation, but there nothing like people would imagine.

Triton14

Im not saying all farms are the same here.
But have you ever seen a rspca accredited free range broiler farm ?
I think most would be shocked, if they did.
Basically, large commercial farms have a small area for the birds the go out into the natural light and scratch around a little.
There are minimum requirements they have to meet to gain accreditation, but there nothing like people would imagine.
Sure, it's not "free range" but at least there are guidelines for animal quality of life etc!

My ideal scenario as a chef would be to be able to grow my own produce chemical free & raise my own animals for the table giving them a good life.
That would at least give me a somewhat rewarding feeling that I have treated everything with respect.

It's a hard thing to do for millions.

As it is I go out & harvest as much of my own meat as possible from the wild.

You can't get much more free range than that!

Andrew_LN65

My journey away from meat started after an easter camping trip 7 years ago. On the last night, we had a LOT of meat left over. So for about 6 hours we sat there cooking and eating what was left. Sausages, chops, bacon, steaks, even a roast -we feasted like kings.
I felt like crap the next day and decided to have a week off meat to clear out the system. Within 3 or 4 days I felt so good I knew I wasn't going back. It felt like someone had turned the gravity down by 30%, I had so much more energy I was jumping around everywhere. My thoughts were clearer and my general mood improved greatly.

I'd been lactose intolerant for many years (most westerners are) so take out meat and I'm basically on a vegan diet. I'm not too strict about a tiny bit of egg or dairy in something but I try to avoid on the whole.

Where it really shines is camping -no meat in the fridge means more room for beer. No sausage juice floating around, nothing going mouldy or smelly. We can self sustain much longer now.

I dont go for any of the fake meats or cheeses though. If I wanted to eat meat I would but tbh within a couple of weeks my tastes changed and now the thought of meat makes me a little sick.
The mrs uses coconut milk as a substitute in cooking, or sometimes almond. They are ok and there is even a chocolate almond milk that tastes pretty good. I reckon i have more variety in my diet than before, often I'll eat over 20 different plants in a day when you add it all up.

Cos I like data, I got a blood test before I started and a year later. My iron and protein counts went UP and my cholesterol and bad kidney/liver indicators went right DOWN.
It's all about variety and being sensible. As a vegan you can live on oreos, burger rings, fake meat, fake cheese, fake ice cream and of course you will be unhealthy. The idea for me is to basically live on fresh fruit and veg only (and nuts).

For me it's all about health. I've found what my body thrives on so I will keep feeding it that. I never felt better or healthier since eating a solely plant based diet and I won't go back to the dark days of eating meat.

My mrs does it for ethical reasons, save the koalas and all that which is great for her. I'm try not to shove my beliefs down anyone's throats. You eat what you want and I'll eat what I want. Pretty simple.

Kegs1972

Genuine question for you. Why only seafood? I get the sustainable and Australian bits, but why just seafood? Taste? What? How is seafood different to other sustainable, Australian meat products?
CTL, my mum always said as a child i just genuinely didn't even like meat, when i did eat meat it was never anything with a bone in it eg chops, drumsticks etc. I never begrudge people eating meat, I cook it for my wife, she even says i cook the best steak ever lol.

it's really no biggie for me to have a meat free meal. We eat a lot of fish, squid, prawns. The only meat i really do miss is a fresh ham sandwich on white bread with lots of butter and pickles lol... The cruelty issue is a big thing for me also and how some of the animals are treated and raised before being killed eg the chicken and pig industries.

Warby

The meat problem will be solved very soon - they already grow meat which is not an animal that must be killed for consumption.
Thats not meat.

Edit to add... I know that they are calling it meat, but if its grown in a lab or made in a factory, I don't care what you call it or what it looks like - It's not meat. Meat comes from animals.

Last edited:

RDM

Another genuine question... How do you feel about hunting wild game for food? would you try wild caught game if you were given the opportunity?