Been lied too

Triton14

I haven't eaten any meat for well over a decade and I can honestly say that 99% of restaurants and shops cannot cook a vegetarian meal to save themselves. I really like the meals we have at home, we stopped trying to eat out because it was a complete waste of money. I think it's because the chefs aren't vegetarian so they don't have a clue. There's a big difference between vegan and vegetarian. I couldn't be vegan.
Mike, I am very interested as a chef to hear what it is that you expect on a menu that your paying for & what it is that you like to eat at home?

Restaurants/café style food is different to event based food which I am used to preparing & serving but I have done it all in my 32 year career.

From an events based style of service which is where I am mostly working these days we are in a position where we have to try & please a larger number of people while trying keep the dishes to a style that will suit the general vego & vegan population.

From an events perspective where we are say doing an event for 1000 people & out of that number there are 100-150 dietary requirements which include vegetarian, vegan, nut onion & garlic allergens, gluten free, no night shades, no preservatives, ovo, lacto, then you get thrown things like pescatarians, paleo, Atkins, keto etc, we try to serve the same dish for as many people as possible, its not going to suit every taste, which in a lot of cases is no different to meat eater specific requests either.

I mean I know how to cook many vegetarian dishes from many types of nationalities , but usually what suits one vego will not suit the next, whether that is personal choice because of some idealist belief or just personal preference.

As the time goes on in what is my trade I enjoy it less & less due to all these rubbish fads people get into.

I guess I dont see it getting any better & to be honest I am over it as most of what going on is just lifestyle choice, I do respect lifestyle choice but just getting totally ridiculous & out of hand imo.

As Ive said where I work we can do events for 1000 Australians & have up to 150 dietry requirements, when we do say an asian based event for the same number we have actually done 0 dietry dishes.

I think so much of what is being prescribed as dietary remedy in Australia is total BS & its all a western brain washing technique to sell more medicinal drugs!

Last edited:

mikehzz

Mike, I am very interested as a chef to hear what it is that you expect on a menu that your paying for & what it is that you like to eat at home?

Restaurants/café style food is different to event based food which I am used to preparing & serving but I have done it all in my 32 year career.

From an events based style of service which is where I am mostly working these days we are in a position where we have to try & please a larger number of people while trying keep the dishes to a style that will suit the general vego & vegan population.

From an events perspective where we are say doing an event for 1000 people & out of that number there are 100-150 dietary requirements which include vegetarian, vegan, nut onion & garlic allergens, gluten free, no night shades, no preservatives, ovo, lacto, then you get thrown things like pescatarians, paleo, Atkins, keto etc, we try to serve the same dish for as many people as possible, its not going to suit every taste, which in a lot of cases is no different to meat eater specific requests either.

I mean I know how to cook many vegetarian dishes from many types of nationalities , but usually what suits one vego will not suit the next, whether that is personal choice because of some idealist belief or just personal preference.

As the time goes on in what is my trade I enjoy it less & less due to all these rubbish fads people get into.

I guess I dont see it getting any better & to be honest I am over it as most of what going on is just lifestyle choice, I do respect lifestyle choice but just getting totally ridiculous & out of hand imo.

As Ive said where I work we can do events for 1000 Australians & have up to 150 dietry requirements, when we do say an asian based event for the same number we have actually done 0 dietry dishes.

I think so much of what is being prescribed as dietary remedy in Australia is total BS & its all a western brain washing technique to sell more medicinal drugs!
Mate, you need a lot of vegetables to make a meal without an animal involved. Vegetables don't really "stick to your ribs". The number of vegetables is usually poor as well. Most of our meals consist of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, corn, capsicum, baby spinach, onions, beans, cabbage, potatoes. That's a base of 11 vegetables done either as stir fry, roast, noodles, or steamed. We use a variety of sauces and garlic. We add mushrooms or small cubes of tofu or sometimes some of the fake meat substitutes just for the iron content. We often add free range eggs and is why we aren't vegan. Salads with pasta or vege pizzas in summer. We don't like any of the "spinach and fetta" dishes which seem to be the standard vege menu item at most restaurants, they make my wife gag and she's paying for the privilege. We've gone to restaurants and asked for the roast meal without the meat and had plates turn up with the same amount of veges as the meat meal except there's no meat, and there's only 3 veges on the plate. In France we got a plate of green beans once, that was it, no sauce or anything. Anyway, our experience hasn't been good.

Wheresmycat

That sucks mikehzz. I'm lucky (or not) because we live in the inner west of Sydney.....so we're kind of spoiled for choice to eat out.

Got our pick of burgers, mexican, italian, south east asian and a bunch of other places we haven't tried yet...even an ice cream bar. It's all vegan, all delicious, and you can get pretty full pretty quick if you want. Not sure what happens when we (are allowed to) head overseas again.

We mostly cook though, and yeah here's a little more prep involved than steak and salad, but I've become a better home cook because I can't just rely on a nice cut of meat for the flavour.

Kippie

Mate, you need a lot of vegetables to make a meal without an animal involved. Vegetables don't really "stick to your ribs". The number of vegetables is usually poor as well. Most of our meals consist of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, corn, capsicum, baby spinach, onions, beans, cabbage, potatoes. That's a base of 11 vegetables done either as stir fry, roast, noodles, or steamed. We use a variety of sauces and garlic. We add mushrooms or small cubes of tofu or sometimes some of the fake meat substitutes just for the iron content. We often add free range eggs and is why we aren't vegan. Salads with pasta or vege pizzas in summer. We don't like any of the "spinach and fetta" dishes which seem to be the standard vege menu item at most restaurants, they make my wife gag and she's paying for the privilege. We've gone to restaurants and asked for the roast meal without the meat and had plates turn up with the same amount of veges as the meat meal except there's no meat, and there's only 3 veges on the plate. In France we got a plate of green beans once, that was it, no sauce or anything. Anyway, our experience hasn't been good.
Over the years we have reduced our meat intake. Not for any specific reason, we just ate less of it. Now we have reached the point that we don't eat meat at all when we do the cooking. If others cook, then we eat whatever is served. However I have gone off the taste of meat, so avoid it if I can. We replaced the meat with lentils, beans, nuts and eggs. Our cooking style includes indian, asian and middle eastern cuisines; stir fries, dahl, vegetable curries etc. There's no shortage in variety and flavours.
We don't go out to restaurants anymore because of the limited choices and our food at home tastes better.
When we travel we find that being vegetarians we travel lighter as there is no need to carry refrigerated foods.

mikehzz

Over the years we have reduced our meat intake. Not for any specific reason, we just ate less of it. Now we have reached the point that we don't eat meat at all when we do the cooking. If others cook, then we eat whatever is served. However I have gone off the taste of meat, so avoid it if I can. We replaced the meat with lentils, beans, nuts and eggs. Our cooking style includes indian, asian and middle eastern cuisines; stir fries, dahl, vegetable curries etc. There's no shortage in variety and flavours.
We don't go out to restaurants anymore because of the limited choices and our food at home tastes better.
When we travel we find that being vegetarians we travel lighter as there is no need to carry refrigerated foods.
Yeah, I used to love bacon, but now I have to leave the room if my son starts cooking it because the smell is too powerful and not nice at all. How things change over time...

Komang

Iam not against people who change their dietary but when we look back the story what we learn “true or not” human/homosapien eat meat before they know how to settle and produce greenery to eat.
everything that i think I can be survive in this world and healthy I will eat it (easy in this life time just go to shop pick and choose)
If you thing it will make you healthy eat it what ever your dietary normal,vegan or what ever they call it.
just remember all produce (veggy/meat) has been direct or non direct get insecticide or hormonal in it unless you grow your self then you know what you eat

boobook

If Impossible Burgers ever come to Australia. Try them. They are beautiful. 100% vege. They are as good as, or better tasting as meat and are like a perfectly cooked beef burger. We ordered them when one guy was in the dunny and didn't tell him we ordered vege burgers. He did not believe us when he ate it. So we called the waitress, he didn't believe her, ot even the bill.

They are beautiful.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok. That's it. I have had enough :eek:. Here we go, it's now the vegans and vegetarians thread :eek:. You were warned not to go there so here is one for the meat eaters. You have to watch this bloke , Adrian Richardson and he will show you some absolutely beautiful meat recipes. This show is called SECRET MEAT BUSINESS and it is a ripper show. Enjoy cooking and eating lots of meat from lots of different animals.:D.

CTL

If Impossible Burgers ever come to Australia. Try them. They are beautiful. 100% vege. They are as good as, or better tasting as meat and are like a perfectly cooked beef burger. We ordered them when one guy was in the dunny and didn't tell him we ordered vege burgers. He did not believe us when he ate it. So we called the waitress, he didn't believe her, ot even the bill.

They are beautiful.
The one thing about vegans/vegetarians which I have never understood is this. If they don’t eat meat, based upon their beliefs that eating meat is mistreatment (or whatever descriptive word/s they use) of animals, then why the heck do they want to eat stuff THAT TASTES LIKE MEAT?????

Last edited:

Wheresmycat

The one thing about vegans/vegetarians which I have never understood is this. If they don’t eat meat, based upon their beliefs that eating meat is mistreatment (or whatever descriptive word/s they use) of animals, then why the heck do they want to eat stuff THAT TASTES LIKE MEAT?????
Are you really upset that there are vegan products that taste like meat?
If you ate vegetarian/vegan your whole life, sure, the taste for meat products wouldn't even be there. But like I said the first time I chimed in, until last year I'd eaten meat, dairy, eggs etc my whole life. And to be honest, most meat dishes don't actually taste like meat anyway.......unless the recipe is just cook meat and eat?

Kegs1972

not all vego's want stuff that looks and tastes like meat, i certainly don't but if people want to try a meat free meal during the week it's maybe a good stepping stone for doing that. In saying that, I am peskatarian and the only meat I eat is sustainable australian seafood.

CTL

Are you really upset that there are vegan products that taste like meat?
If you ate vegetarian/vegan your whole life, sure, the taste for meat products wouldn't even be there. But like I said the first time I chimed in, until last year I'd eaten meat, dairy, eggs etc my whole life. And to be honest, most meat dishes don't actually taste like meat anyway.......unless the recipe is just cook meat and eat?
Umm, not upset about anything mate.
I was just asking a simple question in reply to the previous post (which I quoted) about BURGERS which contain a meat substitute patty, that is designed to look like and taste like real meat.

Last edited:

CTL

not all vego's want stuff that looks and tastes like meat, i certainly don't but if people want to try a meat free meal during the week it's maybe a good stepping stone for doing that. In saying that, I am peskatarian and the only meat I eat is sustainable australian seafood.
Genuine question for you. Why only seafood? I get the sustainable and Australian bits, but why just seafood? Taste? What? How is seafood different to other sustainable, Australian meat products?