Been lied too

Wheresmycat

I'll chime in guys. :)
Went vegan late last year and generally don't try to talk about it too much, cause I know how annoying bloody vegans are!
Had been thinking about it for a while, but wasn't convinced about getting enough protein and have enough energy for gym, work, sport etc. and didn't understand the B12 thing (which you only get from eating meat because they supplement it to the animals you're eating anyway). Did the research and haven't looked back.

I don't care what anyone else eats. Meat is bloody delicious and I ate it all my life until recently, so that's why I love plant based substitutes and making my own meat tasting versions. I probably couldn't have stuck with it 5-10 years ago, but now there are so many options and recipes that it's very little drama really.

Getting a vegan meal when you're expecting meat isn't good form. But, if they knew what they were doing, you never would have known :)

Albynsw

Went vegan late last year and generally don't try to talk about it too much, cause I know how annoying bloody vegans are!
Had been thinking about it for a while, but wasn't convinced about getting enough protein and have enough energy for gym, work, sport etc. and didn't understand the B12 thing (which you only get from eating meat because they supplement it to the animals you're eating anyway). Did the research and haven't looked back.

I don't care what anyone else eats. Meat is bloody delicious and I ate it all my life until recently, so that's why I love plant based substitutes and making my own meat tasting versions. I probably couldn't have stuck with it 5-10 years ago, but now there are so many options and recipes that it's very little drama really.

Getting a vegan meal when you're expecting meat isn't good form. But, if they knew what they were doing, you never would have known :)
why did you go vegan?

Neil Watts

Good on you for speaking up Wheresmycat, totally respect people that genuinely do it for all the right reasons although from my experience most relapse. I would have no problem with a plant based diet but to me vegan is just a little too far. There a lot of solid research for the benefits of plant based diets.

Wheresmycat

why did you go vegan?
Watched my otherwise very healthy mum die from bowel cancer.

Good on you for speaking up Wheresmycat, totally respect people that genuinely do it for all the right reasons although from my experience most relapse. I would have no problem with a plant based diet but to me vegan is just a little too far. There a lot of solid research for the benefits of plant based diets.
Yeah, cheers mate. Just thought it was getting a little one sided ;) Never thought I could do a vegetarian diet to be honest. And NEVER thought I'd give up dairy!! In laws are vegetarian and to be honest, their food is boring AF. Found some good vegan options...I eat tastier food than I did before to be honest.

Wheresmycat

and meat caused it?
Maybe. Maybe not. Was the right decision for me.

I started looking at a few other factors too, and I don't want to sound like a preachy vegan jerk, especially since it's been less than a year :)

I feel better energy wise (which I was NOT expecting) and was still getting stronger at the gym (before covid shut that down). I honestly thought I'd try it, it wouldn't be for me and that would be it. So far so good.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
As far as any diet. Each to his own. I guess why I get a little annoyed is that some vegans, maybe more than some vegans shove it up meat eaters. Yet in reality, meat eaters just eat meat and now joke about vegans because many of them get it shoved up them by vegans. Well, that's how it started.
Funny thing is, I have always been a meat eater and always ate heaps of veggies (including vegetable soup) anyway. My diet is varied, however I still eat meat at seventy five.
I know there are vegans who believe that it is good for their health, I also know there are many vegans who are vegan because they don't believe in killing animals, drinking cows milk ( it's for their babies) , eating eggs ( Murder of chicken"s babies) and have said they would rather see humans who kill animals die, rather than the animals they kill.
Plenty of evidence on the internet about that.
So if a vegetarian, vegan, meat eater, whatever comes to my place, all good.
As long as no one tells me I should not eat meat, especially because animals are slaughtered, or drink beer, or wine, or scotch, or bourbon, or champagne, or port, or etc. etc. etc.

Neil Watts

As far as any diet. Each to his own. I guess why I get a little annoyed is that some vegans, maybe more than some vegans shove it up meat eaters. Yet in reality, meat eaters just eat meat and now joke about vegans because many of them get it shoved up them by vegans. Well, that's how it started.
Funny thing is, I have always been a meat eater and always ate heaps of veggies (including vegetable soup) anyway. My diet is varied, however I still eat meat at seventy five.
I know there are vegans who believe that it is good for their health, I also know there are many vegans who are vegan because they don't believe in killing animals, drinking cows milk ( it's for their babies) , eating eggs ( Murder of chicken"s babies) and have said they would rather see humans who kill animals die, rather than the animals they kill.
Plenty of evidence on the internet about that.
So if a vegetarian, vegan, meat eater, whatever comes to my place, all good.
As long as no one tells me I should not eat meat, especially because animals are slaughtered, or drink beer, or wine, or scotch, or bourbon, or champagne, or port, or etc. etc. etc.
Doctor once told me to have 2 alcohol free days each week, I try to carry that approach into the kitchen. No that doesn't mean not drinking in the kitchen ........... but trying to have 2 meat free meals each week. I must admit I find this easier in the summer.

slivertoy

Well guy's, I make about 1000, Meat pies a week in my workplace, Bakery/Cake Shop, but No Vegan alternatives,
We do have Vegetarian varieties, but Vegan is a costly exercise, most ingredients are expensive, i know we can charge more for the product, but our customer base would be very small.
Most pastry Margarine's are made from animal fat, or contain dairy based emulsifiers, you can get Palm oil based margarine, for making pastry, but it's crap to use, in my opinion, and it kills Orangutans, well, Malaysia is the major supplier of Palm oil based products and they are cutting down all the palm trees. (That's off topic,)
But we have never sold goods that aren't what they are, you can't pass off a vegetarian pie as a Vegan one, you can't sell, plant based goods as meat goods, because their not, a pie is a pie, it only matters what's in it. Apple, Berries, Meat, Plant based Vegan filling.
I have a daughter who is Vegan ,(lifestyle choice) and some of the stuff she buy's and cooks is fantastic, nice flavor and texture, but it's plant based,
it only takes us cooking crumbed lamb cutlets at home, and she goes, "I"m so tempted to go back to meat, just for the cutlet's", Ha ha

Albynsw

I think the majority who go vegan are making a lifestyle choice not for a healthier diet
I suspect that those that say they feel better after going vegan would be as a result of eating good quality food and no junk food.
My son is a vego and his good friend was a vegan up until Christmas and says she feels heaps better and has more energy after going back on meat so I think the answer is a good quality balanced diet ( just like all the medical professionals have always subscribed)

mikehzz

I haven't eaten any meat for well over a decade and I can honestly say that 99% of restaurants and shops cannot cook a vegetarian meal to save themselves. I really like the meals we have at home, we stopped trying to eat out because it was a complete waste of money. I think it's because the chefs aren't vegetarian so they don't have a clue. There's a big difference between vegan and vegetarian. I couldn't be vegan.

Albynsw

I haven't eaten any meat for well over a decade and I can honestly say that 99% of restaurants and shops cannot cook a vegetarian meal to save themselves. I really like the meals we have at home, we stopped trying to eat out because it was a complete waste of money. I think it's because the chefs aren't vegetarian so they don't have a clue. There's a big difference between vegan and vegetarian. I couldn't be vegan.
Mike I would of thought there were restaurants that would look to Vego and Vegans as their target audience ?