Beautiful old trees

discomatt

greysrigging

There are some big old Mountain Ash up in the carpark at the Dandenongs Rhodendron Gardens.... well they seemed big to me coming from the NT.
Also some huge trees at the base of the Scenic World Skyrail in Katoomba
20151117_153135.jpg

peterfermtech

Did you know nearly every tree was cleared off the Dandenongs about 100 years ago and all of it is just relatively new growth . The old trees were some of the biggest in the world.
Go and check out the Ada tree in Warby

https://www.visitwarburton.com.au/activity/the-ada-tree-walk
Grew up in The Basin so know the history quite well. As I often say when people think/pretend it's old growth forest - "they didn't call it one tree hill because it was covered with trees"
regards

discomatt

Grew up in The Basin so know the history quite well. As I often say when people think/pretend it's old growth forest - "they didn't call it one tree hill because it was covered with trees"
regards
Small world, my first house was in The Basin, just off Basin Olinda Rd, we are now in Belgrave and I have a gum in the front yard that is about 2.5-3m around the base and about 25-30m high. Its a great tree and looks awesome at night with a spot light shining up the trunk.
Some people ask how I live with the risk of a tree that big near the house but it is just to majestic to cut down , I have more chance of being killed in my car on the way to work than that sucker falling on me

peterfermtech

Small world, my first house was in The Basin, just off Basin Olinda Rd, we are now in Belgrave and I have a gum in the front yard that is about 2.5-3m around the base and about 25-30m high. Its a great tree and looks awesome at night with a spot light shining up the trunk.
Some people ask how I live with the risk of a tree that big near the house but it is just to majestic to cut down , I have more chance of being killed in my car on the way to work than that sucker falling on me
Even smaller world. Most of my relatives lived in Belgrave. Spent a lot of my childhood weekends and holidays fishing the Monbulk creek and exploring the local bushlands.
regards