Bearing Witness

discomatt

I find the hate for anything religious a little adherent, yes any fanatic can be a little dangerous, yes they should pay some tax , thats up to world governments to decide that, hate government not religion and lets not put all people who follow a religion in the same fanatical and sex pervert category.
For the majority they do lots of community and charity work and provide some decent set of morals and standards that are severly lacking in a increasingly large portion of the public.

mikehzz

The government does far more good for society than any religion. I don't really get this hate government BS. We choose our government and we fire them too. Most of the important things that we take for granted have been provided by government if you really think about it. Health, education, defence, major infrastructure, social services, safety laws and rules plus plain old law and order are all provided by government. You don't have to agree with them because you might have voted for the other guy, but in general, the job gets done and the framework of our society is pretty solid. If the government is deeply religious then you can start worrying because you could end up with the Taliban. Religion is a pox that sucks nice people in because of the wholesome narrative. Those people would still be nice without the religion and they'd still be doing their good deeds, it's not the religion that made them nice. If religions only had nice people then we wouldn't be having this discussion, so obviously religion doesn't turn arseholes into nice people. Therefore I ask, what's the point of religion? None, it's a BS framework you're born into and hold onto because if you were born in India you'd all be Hindus worshipping Krishna.

peterfermtech

The government does far more good for society than any religion. I don't really get this hate government BS. We choose our government and we fire them too. Most of the important things that we take for granted have been provided by government if you really think about it. Health, education, defence, major infrastructure, social services, safety laws and rules plus plain old law and order are all provided by government. You don't have to agree with them because you might have voted for the other guy, but in general, the job gets done and the framework of our society is pretty solid. If the government is deeply religious then you can start worrying because you could end up with the Taliban. Religion is a pox that sucks nice people in because of the wholesome narrative. Those people would still be nice without the religion and they'd still be doing their good deeds, it's not the religion that made them nice. If religions only had nice people then we wouldn't be having this discussion, so obviously religion doesn't turn arseholes into nice people. Therefore I ask, what's the point of religion? None, it's a BS framework you're born into and hold onto because if you were born in India you'd all be Hindus worshipping Krishna.
Agree wholeheartedly about the government. Even the ones you don't like do a reasonable job most of the time.

Albynsw

I have noticed that some people need a religion or tribe to hold onto to find their way in life

discomatt

The hate the government comment was in context to the tax system that allows religious organizations to not pay tax as an organization, all paid staff still pay income tax.
Agreed as a whole government does a reasonable job providing you ignore the lies, corruption, blatant waste of tax payers money and the looking after the big end of town and their mates

Albynsw

If you are going religious organisations for tax how about the charities, there is plenty of funny business going on there too financially

I don’t give to them anymore and rather provide direct support to people I am aware of in need in my community that way I know 100% goes to the people who need it

drmahodi

EVERY CHURCH slash RELIGIOUS CORPRATION does exactly the same thing. From Catholics to the Muslims!
EVERY one of them do the same, read a fictional book and then ‘interpret it’ into how they can control ppl.
Are you aware that NOT ONE RELIGIOUS ORGANISATION slash CHURCH PAY ANY TAX?
WELL, awake-Up.
They DO NOT PAY TAXES!!
That is why they are the richest corporations in the world.
They cause wars because of some of the radical ways they teach and enforce WHAT THEY WANT PPL TO BELIEVE.
EVERY GOVERNMENT AROUND THE WORLD HAS COWED-DOWN to these ppl.
It’s time EVERY RELIGIOUS ORGANISATION slash HURCH WAS TAXED AT THE HIGHEST RATES POSSIBLE BY LAWS, and that means at 99cents tax on every dollar ‘earned’ if that is possible!
EVERY country could then afford all of the ‘reforms’ etc that have been caused by this World-Wide COVID problem!!
TAX ALL CHURCHES AND RELIGIOUS ORGANISATIONS NOW!!!

As a Christian who attends a small church I feel the need to defend churches in a sense here.

The church I attend has about 50-60 regular members, who give money out of their post-tax income to help the church function. This would total maybe $130-150K over the course of a year. This covers the renting of a community centre for meetings, a few ancillary bills, occasional larger purchases (sound gear, a computer for live streams etc.), and the employment of a Pastor.

The hate the government comment was in context to the tax system that allows religious organizations to not pay tax as an organization, all paid staff still pay income tax.
What Matt says here is right, our pastor pays income tax on this income he receives.

Once all this is done, we manage to save maybe $10k a year that is for emergency/extravagant situations (our last Pastor was from America so there were relocation costs, visa related costs that we had to pay as an example)

I thought I'd share this because the topic of Churches paying taxes comes up quite often. Our entire church is run on donations (I think Alby talked about how this was the same as charities that also pay no tax). Why then should churches be required to pay tax on the donations they receive?

Of course there are larger churches who also receive income from music, book sales, TV shows and other means. Should this be taxed? Absolutely, I think you'll find that many churches agree with this, and you'll probably find that many do pay it.

Are there corrupt churches/people that abuse their power for financial gain? Definitely.

Are there corrupt churches/people that abuse their power for sexual gain? Definitely.

Do true Christians think both of these things are bad? Definitely.

I'm not here to argue that churches are perfect and they should be able to do whatever they want, rather give an insight into how many smaller churches are run. Not with extravagant amounts of money, but rather just enough to be able to function, and that's without the added cost of unreasonable taxes.

rob_macca67

As a Christian who attends a small church I feel the need to defend churches in a sense here.

The church I attend has about 50-60 regular members, who give money out of their post-tax income to help the church function. This would total maybe $130-150K over the course of a year. This covers the renting of a community centre for meetings, a few ancillary bills, occasional larger purchases (sound gear, a computer for live streams etc.), and the employment of a Pastor.

What Matt says here is right, our pastor pays income tax on this income he receives.

Once all this is done, we manage to save maybe $10k a year that is for emergency/extravagant situations (our last Pastor was from America so there were relocation costs, visa related costs that we had to pay as an example)

I thought I'd share this because the topic of Churches paying taxes comes up quite often. Our entire church is run on donations (I think Alby talked about how this was the same as charities that also pay no tax). Why then should churches be required to pay tax on the donations they receive?

Of course there are larger churches who also receive income from music, book sales, TV shows and other means. Should this be taxed? Absolutely, I think you'll find that many churches agree with this, and you'll probably find that many do pay it.

Are there corrupt churches/people that abuse their power for financial gain? Definitely.

Are there corrupt churches/people that abuse their power for sexual gain? Definitely.

Do true Christians think both of these things are bad? Definitely.

I'm not here to argue that churches are perfect and they should be able to do whatever they want, rather give an insight into how many smaller churches are run. Not with extravagant amounts of money, but rather just enough to be able to function, and that's without the added cost of unreasonable taxes.
100% Totally agree...
And also people need to be aware that a lot of small churches put back into their local communities in various ways in helping the less fortunate with food; help the disable; even pay people's bills if the people are unable to pay themselves; help broken families when needed... these are just some of the things that the churches do but is never really acknowledged in the media...