Beach or sand tracks near Melbourne?

Hamyz

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to off-road driving in general. Are there any tracks on or near a beach near Melbourne that might be safe in the current bushfire situation?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

CaptainBanana

No beach driving in Victoria anywhere, Portland has dunes and you can Park on the beach but that's it. Robe SA is the nearest spot, in actual fact we're heading there soon.

Bomber2012

Welcome aboard @Hamyz , we don't have any beaches to drive on in Victoria and closest tracks to a beach would probably be the Otways . As far as the bushfire situation goes your probably better off waiting until everything settles down until you hit the tracks again, everywhere is quiet dangerous at the moment .

Reactions: phs

phs

-Otway's, has A tiny section at Aire river and Princeton ( sand driving Near the beach )

-Portland dunes

-Wyperfield / big desert

Closest decent runs To Melb

Cunanda / Beachport / Robe

Just got back from there plenty of beach and sand runs

As Bomber said not a great time to be travelling

Attachments

• 6096264E-0623-4563-BE9E-850CDAB1BD78.jpeg
    6096264E-0623-4563-BE9E-850CDAB1BD78.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 99
  • 4AD80485-6596-4CA8-8DA0-D76EBCBD5FA6.jpeg
    4AD80485-6596-4CA8-8DA0-D76EBCBD5FA6.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 143DAABD-192F-4E50-B831-6F780C07EF94.jpeg
    143DAABD-192F-4E50-B831-6F780C07EF94.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105

Hamyz

Welcome aboard @Hamyz , we don't have any beaches to drive on in Victoria and closest tracks to a beach would probably be the Otways . As far as the bushfire situation goes your probably better off waiting until everything settles down until you hit the tracks again, everywhere is quiet dangerous at the moment .
No beach driving in Victoria anywhere, Portland has dunes and you can Park on the beach but that's it. Robe SA is the nearest spot, in actual fact we're heading there soon.

Thanks. How many days are you allowing for the trip to Robe? Is it best to go with a 4wd tour or would solo be okay? I am the first one to get a 4x4 so my mates will be in the car with me, no winch etc. at this stage.

CaptainBanana

Going solo is insane. It's about 6 hours from Melbourne cbd, Portland is quite a bit closer, being new to wheeling I think Portland would more than wow you.

You need to set up a group trip with at least a couple experienced guys, you WILL NEED compressor and recovery hooks, I would suggest 4 maxtrax also.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks. How many days are you allowing for the trip to Robe? Is it best to go with a 4wd tour or would solo be okay? I am the first one to get a 4x4 so my mates will be in the car with me, no winch etc. at this stage.
If you enquire you will be able to get on to a 4wd tag along tour around the Robe/ Beachport S.A. areas I reckon. A tag along tour leader will make sure you have the right equipment and set up to get through safely. Your mates could maybe hitch a ride with you and leave their cars in town. Beachport is a nice place to stay over and Robe is nice maybe more cosmopolitan, but all good fun. This time of year bit busier, however check out spots to stay if you are looking for accomodation and give yourself at least a week.
Or here is one at Stockton Beach up Newcastle NSW way.
https://www.4wd.net.au/4wd-tours/1-day-tours/stockton-beach-1-day

Last edited: