Beach fees

goldrush

The affordability of a family day out is under threat. The Rockhampton Regional Council has put up the price of Beach access Permits from $25 to $100. The reason given for this outrage is that " people who pay for luxury 4wd vehicles can afford to pay extra for beach permits." I do not mind paying for beach access but would like some accountability as to where this money is being spent. Last year the RRC made $60000 from beach permits and spent nothing on the area at all. This year they stand to make over $200000 from beach permits. I want to see some evidence that this money is being spent to maintain the facilities at Five Rocks and the surrounding areas. In the Capricorn Coast area we have only 2 beaches left open to vehicles and I think $100 is not only a bit steep considering the limited areas and facilities but also will stop the battling families from enjoying a cheap day of fishing at "The Rocks." This scene is being played out all over our great land and I have had enough. It is time to stand up to these Government clowns and let them know how many of us enjoy 4wd'ing. I will be actively stirring up opposition to the current administration of RRC and doing my best to make sure they are not re-elected to wreak more havok on the 4wd community. To all who are voting in upcoming elections, state, or local, I urge you to ask your local candidates about their views on 4wd'ing. Let's make them see that we mean business.
Sorry for the political grandstanding but these people really p!ss me off!!!!!!

darlingd

I think the only thing this price increase will achieve is a lot more people not paying for the permit, and taking the risk of not getting caught, and possibly casing more damage in the process:mad::mad:

I'm with you on this one Cliff!!!

knot_gillty

:mad:That is bloody ridiculous!!:mad: Even not being from anywhere near there i am outraged for you all! All that coin will be sitting in there doing bugger all. Whats the beach access like up there Cliff? Maybe they could put it to use there as well.

Bloody bureaucrats!!!:mad::mad:

How long are the permits for and if, say i was to come up for 2 weeks of beach driving how much would they sting me??

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Here here Goldy, By the time I get a chance to drive our rig up you way it will be like paying to go to a theme park. That is so wrong. :mad:

darlingd

Hey Gilly

The permits are for each year ending 31 August, which for $25 you don't mind paying, even if only using it for a couple of weeks, but at $100 it's even a bit steep if you do plan on using it regularly.

knot_gillty

Hey Gilly

The permits are for each year ending 31 August, which for $25 you don't mind paying, even if only using it for a couple of weeks, but at $100 it's even a bit steep if you do plan on using it regularly.

Absolutely!! It's very unreasonable to be expected (told) to fork out for it.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
....................The affordability of a family day out is under threat. The Rockhampton Regional Council has put up the price of Beach access Permits from $25 to $100. The reason given for this outrage is that " people who pay for luxury 4wd vehicles can afford to pay extra for beach permits." ..............

So what about the people who driver normal non-luxury 4wds? Do they get a cheaper rate?
And how many BMWs and Porche 4wds use the beaches up there? I didn't realize it was such a popular hobby with the moneyed set.

darlingd

So what about the people who driver normal non-luxury 4wds? Do they get a cheaper rate?
And how many BMWs and Porche 4wds use the beaches up there? I didn't realize it was such a popular hobby with the moneyed set.

The problem is that by the Australian Tax Office definition of Luxury Vehicles (Currently any vehicle over $57,180.00 new) most, if not all real 4wds are classed as luxury vehicles.

gdog

Friggen Heck! That's a big jump. How long does the permit last? - I'm guessing 1 year. If you look at some beach areas that charge $10 a visit then, you only need to use it 10 times in a year to get your money's worth....... I'm trying to make it not hurt so much, but really - that sucks and blows!!

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah, it is not right that they can be demanding such high prices. It would have to be designed to stop people going to the beaches :( Their logic about luxury vehicles is a bit flawed I think. My Maverick cost me 5K, and I have to admit that it is a very spartan, a long way from luxury!!!

Here is an article about it.

Who is the contact person up there?

James

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
400% increase is a bit rich, send a letter to the local council person and complain. If he fails to listen, send it to the opposition member. Bribie Island is over priced but most people head to north shore of Noosa instead now.

Patriot

Administrator
Does anyone know who is responsible for this? I am happy to give them a call and talk to them about it.
I wonder if they have thought about the implications for tourism, or if they simply don't care :(

James

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Where do you purchase the premit, they should know or it will be printed on it. If it is like Bribie, it will be the local council or EPA/forestly

darlingd

Where do you purchase the premit, they should know or it will be printed on it. If it is like Bribie, it will be the local council or EPA/forestly

The permits are purchased through the Rockhampton Regional Council. I believe it was the Mayor who wants to increase the permits to $100 per year.

I did read a story during the week saying that when they first decided to start charging for the permits it was agreed with the community that they would charge $50 for a 3 year permit, however when the council actually started charging it was changed to $25 per year without any community consultation.

havok011101

Sounds a bit rich, I definitely wouldn't count my truck as "luxury".

I agree with OP though, if it's flat out revenue raising that is a load of cr*p, but I guess it can be justified if it goes towards maintaining / developing the areas you're being charged for, that is the point.

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just another out of touch council!!! They should try coming down off their high horses!

goldrush

Great news on this issue. The Rockhampton Regional Council has given in to overwhelming public pressure and decided not to proceed with the proposed price hike for vehicle beach permits. In fact they have removed the need to have them at all. Sometimes the Good Guys do win. The official media release is here.
Rockhampton Regional Council

darlingd

That was great news, fo a change they have actually listened to the people they represent.
The only problem we may have now is the state government talking about closing access to Three Rivers and Five Rocks Beaches.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
so you mean to say cliffy i payed for a beach permit last time i was up there with you guys that i dont need bloody heck lol