Change background image

Beach driving prep

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Adam Maxwell, May 12, 2018.

1. Adam Maxwell

Adam Maxwell New Member

Hi guys.
    I want to start taking my 4x4 on the beach more often.
    I've got sand recovery tracks, a compressor and tyre pressure droppers, and a shovel.
    Anything else I should have?
    Should I bother with the rust proofing sprays, or is that a waste of time?

2. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

LT tyres and you're good to go. Don't be afraid to drop pressure right down if sand is super soft. Also, resist urge to speed, it's amazing the crap that can sneak up on you on the beach.

Just run the car over a sprinkler when you get home and avoid salt water at all costs.

3. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Snatch strap or 2 a couple of large bow shackles, a good set of jumper leads I've had to jump start a vehicle once on the beach and rust proofing in general is a good idea.

4. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

Fishing rod
    Rod holders
    Bait
    Webber

Mr Rum likes this.
  5. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

Don’t worry about rust proofing.

Just wash the car very well. Take the end of the hose off and push it inside all your chassis rails.

6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Rust isn't the problem it used to be, most newer car panels are galvanized now. Still, you shouldn't go driving into salt water and yes, it's pretty well mandatory to wash under the car afterwards.
    Don't go snatching unless there are rated recovery points at both ends. Enough people have died helping others out of trouble. I'd go so far as to say only snatch or be snatched once you've been shown by a competent person who has explained the risks.

Swaggie and 80lover96gxl like this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Not a Amarok :D

80lover96gxl likes this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

Why do you need LT tyres for the beach??

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

In case you stake a whale bone :D

10. Airstrike

Airstrike Active Member

Seems like you're good to go
    Road tyres are better for the beach than mud terrain as they can float over the sand
    Take your right foot when you feel like you're getting bogged, so it'll be easier for you to dig yourself out!

11. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

I suppose it would depend a lot on the tread pattern of road tyres as well my brother use to have a lot of trouble with Pirelli road tyres that came with his Disco he would just sink in the soft stuff and I would quite often just drive around him with BFG or Kumho MT's and pull him out of the sand or help drag him through the thick powdery stuff.
    I use to spend a lot of time driving on the beach and have had different vehicles on the sand a shorty 40 cruiser, hilux, 4Runner, 60ser cruiser, Disco, Patrol and never had any problems with mud tyres I think it's more myth than fact created by a 4WD mag quite a few yrs ago I remember reading it and laughing.

There may be the occasion that MT's might be a slight disadvantage and dig in but also there are times when they dig in and that can help to propel you forward but that can happen with any type of tyre other than that I have found they float fine on sand. I've also had a few different brands of AT's which have all been fine as well.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    cam04 likes this.
  12. Airstrike

Airstrike Active Member

yeah agreed, different tyres got different tread patterns with some M/T being really aggressive. My mate's Hilux running BFG M/T and he does fine on the sand. I guess it all comes down to the pressures you're running + weight of your car
    From what I know, Discovery have really crappy sidewall with big rims hence why they aren't the best. It'll be best to run a skinny tyre with good sidewall e.g. 70 or 75 with 16 inch

Batts88 likes this.
  13. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Well-Known Member

I know Tred recovery tracks recommend a minimum of AT tyres so there is enough tread space for the tracks to work but otherwise any tyre seems to work on sand so long as it's deflated enough.

14. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I can't help myself on the car, same as the boat trailer and camper. After a trip up the beach and a good wash, all moving parts, bolt heads, springs, rubbers etc get a good dose of lanotec. All subframe items painted black or galv get a drink of penetrol. Simple things like wheel alignments become an issue with frozen bolts if you don't do basic maintenance. Ive spent most of my life on beaches.

15. RDM

RDM Active Member

I think tyre pressures matter far more than the type of tyre.
    I spent a week on Fraser Island and the only recovery kit I used was Maxtrax and a shovel.

16. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

For any sand work the 3 most important items are pressure gauge/deflater for the tyres, shovel and an air compressor to air back up. With those items I reckon you can get through 95% of sand and deal with any bog. For a little bit more self recovery a set of maxtrax or similar are great (dont own a set myself) and a snatch strap and shackles are useful items but require assistance from another vehicle to be of any use.

17. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Add a tide chart to what you have and you should be fine.

18. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Well-Known Member

A tide app is even better! I use AU Tides.

19. 2luxes

2luxes Active Member

There are a couple of sand tyres shown here. file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/militaryservicetyres%20(1).pdf One looks like some kind dual purpose while the smooth one is similar to the type used on military Landcruisers during a two year project on Stockton beach NSW that I was involved in many years ago. I have seen both types used on the Army LARC-LX amphibious vehicle.