Be careful with your dog in the bush .

Bomber2012

Well-Known Member
#1
I was up at the Running Creek camp area near Mansfield over the week end with a few mates and had my dog (Murphy) with me . While out getting firewood for the night I noticed signs saying 1080 baits had been laid for wild dogs , we were about 2k from camp so while collecting wood i was vigilant that the dog was with me and didn't let him out of sight . We got back to camp on the Howqua River got the fire going and enjoying a few coldies , the dog was hanging around and didn't stray off all good no problems . I left camp around midday Sunday to come home , its about a 3.5hr drive and was uneventful . Monday morning I was off to work and the dog always comes with me , I noticed he was coughing and gagging a bit so to be on the safe side we called into the local vet on the way home for a check up , the vet took his temp and heart rate and said he seems ok . Tuesday morning he was lethargic and was asleep in the car for the whole morning while I was working which is very out of character , later in the arvo he was coughing up blood so back to the vet for a blood test and came back positive to rat bait . Rat bait takes 2-3 days to start work on a dog which made me think of where he picked it up , he was with me Sunday arvo driving home , all day Monday at work which only leaves Saturday arvo Sunday morning at camp where he could have picked up the rat bait . I can only conclude some idiot has scattered rat bait around the area we camped as there was no other opportunity for him to have eaten it . Thinking I will buy him a muzzle for bush trips now , 1080 isn't a real worry unless your in a baiting area and then it is signposted and they don't 1080 bait in camping areas where dogs are permitted . Anyway his on medication for the next month and all is good (apart from costing me a fortune) but be aware of dickheads in the bush scattering rat baits in camping areas where dogs are permitted .
IMG_3259.JPG

The boy waiting for the blood test to come back .
 

discomatt

Well-Known Member
#3
Good to hear Murphy is OK, I never use rat bait any more, the rodents eat it then the local Kookabarra's eat the dead or dying rodents only to die themselves a week later.
On a side note, we have a little gift for him that was left at camp on our last trip which he can enjoy at the vic gathering
 

mac_man_luke

Well-Known Member
#4
wow lucky (unlucky...)! baits and just general junk people leave around is such a worry and reason id be nervous to take a dog away
At least it was not 1080...

Good to hear Murphy is OK, I never use rat bait any more, the rodents eat it then the local Kookabarra's eat the dead or dying rodents only to die themselves a week later.
On a side note, we have a little gift for him that was left at camp on our last trip which he can enjoy at the vic gathering
I use some stuff from a pest control customer of ours, it has no secondary poisoning and is a fair bit safer but has to be used in bait stations.
 

Bomber2012

Well-Known Member
#5
Good to hear Murphy is OK, I never use rat bait any more, the rodents eat it then the local Kookabarra's eat the dead or dying rodents only to die themselves a week later.
On a side note, we have a little gift for him that was left at camp on our last trip which he can enjoy at the vic gathering
Rat bait is a destructive method of taking out rodents as you said anything that eats the dead rodent goes out the same way .
 

Toddyh

Well-Known Member
#14
We were at camp in Barrington Tops a few years back and a dog died pretty obviously from 1080. Horrible stuff. Sometimes the birds will pick them up and drop them elsewhere.
When I was camped out past Marree, SA the camp managers out there said they've had cases where crows have dropped baits in camp and dogs have died.
If you're anywhere near an area that has been baited or near pastoral land need to be careful. The only hope is that you see them eat it and force them to spew it up. short of that they are done. 1080 should be illegal. It's banned in most other countries in the world.
 

silkwood

Well-Known Member
#15
1080 poison should be ilegal its the most evil poison in the bush. Its Indiscriminate it kills every thing pigs deer you name it and natives as well.
I agree it is not a great control option, the science supports that view. What native animals does it kill though?
 

shanegtr

Well-Known Member
#18
1080 poison should be ilegal its the most evil poison in the bush. Its Indiscriminate it kills every thing pigs deer you name it and natives as well.
From my understanding most native animals are immune to it and its only toxic to introduced feral animals - which I have no issue with indiscriminate killing of those
 
Top