Battery Tray Install for Prado 90ser, With ABS - where to put Carbon Canistor?

ShaneB

Hi guys,

WHERE DO I RELOCATE THE CARBON CONISTOR?
I have a 1999 VX Grande with ABS, V6.
Now I have got the battery tray from Piranha -"Prado 90 series (Non-ABS)" as they say they don't have a kit for ABS model.

Now we know that the battery tray is going to mount in the same location and bolt holes as the "Non-ABS" model.
For what I can see the only difference here is where you locate the Carbon canister.
For "Non-ABS" models you would relocate the Carbon canistor over where the ABS would be, in front of brake booster.
Has anyone done this install, any tips ?

Attachments

• DSCN0126.jpg
    DSCN0126.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0127.jpg
    DSCN0127.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

ShaneB

I managed to fit the battery tray in after carefully adjusting plumbing under tray a bit (ABS). Carbon canister is shoved in the corner on an angle, still need to move it.
If I can relocate canister, then I can make a bigger batter tray by an inch longer.
This will let me then upgrade Aux battery from 65 Ah to 80 Ah.

Triton14

And it only took 9 years :p :D

Just kidding mate, in all seriousness its great that you updated your own thread!

Someone can always use the info at a later time.

Looks good ;)

ShaneB

And it only took 9 years :p :D

Just kidding mate, in all seriousness its great that you updated your own thread!

Someone can always use the info at a later time.

Looks good ;)
Yeh it took me long time to update this and current pics.
I did do the work a bit after orgInal post.
I came across my log details and thought I would log in.
I was hoping someone might have given me an answer to relocation of carbon canister.
Today will pull out Aux battery tray and start making a longer tray.
Still need to find a spot for canister.
Normally you would put it where the ABS is if you don’t have ABS likes GLX model.
But because I liked the sunroof, I have ABS with this 4WD.
Thinking where the idle adjuster screw is.

ShaneB

New Loca Carbon Canister.jpg

This is where I am thinking of relocating the Carbon Canister too. Need to find out what to do with drain pipe on the underside and where to run that too.
I have unbolted the idle mix pot to the side. (will connect bracket to throttle cable bracket in front of ABS)

cam04

Wow, old post. I actually did that mod on my 3400 v6 hilux in about 2003 when it was a new car. The charcoal canister went in front of the booster, the rear tray went in, the front battery tray base had the side 'lips' ground off and a N70 sized deep cycle battery just fitted in there. The start battery was turned into a smaller optima blue top in the rear position and the engine cables extended to suit. It was a lot of stuffing around but worth it in the end. I think the tray and canister relocation bracket came from 4wd systems in S.A.

ShaneB

Thanks Cam. Sound like you did the suggested method from Piranha with their battery tray. It didn't go with that idea.
As I would prefer a large main battery with winch attached.
The setup with the smaller 60-65Ah battery has served me pretty much. Aux Battery would last until about 10am in the morning before going flat and have to go for a drive. Running: Waeco CFX-50W fridge, with a LED light strip on rear door (~1amp), 1x work light for a short time while setting up if required (15W) & another 1 meter LED light strip on side for a couple of hours at night.
And of course charge mobile, and maybe run a Bluetooth small speaker for some tunes.
Don't know how much juice the Waeco CFX-50W fridge uses, at night set at -3Deg Cel, during a drive during the day crank up to -5 or -7 Deg Cel to get it nice and cold for the night. My guess, 2amps per hours.
65 ampH battery, 50%>10.8 volts = around 30 amps usable.

If I upgrade to a Aux battery 80 ampH, (40 amps usable), with Kings 110w Fixed Solar panel and upgrade controller to a MPPT.
Hopefully this should last until morning, and then the sun kicks in and puts a bit of juice in the battery to at least keeps fridge going, and a bit for charging. Hope I can get an average 5amps power flowing.

I also have replied to a post on Prado Point hoping I can find some answers there too.

>But to make life easy I will put my details post below.

As my current question at the moment is:

If you move the Carbon canister to drivers side.
What do you do with the drain pipe at the bottom of the canister?

Where did you run the pipe down to?
In the original position (passenger side), drain pipe goes into the chassis.

Pic attached: Original drain pipe on passenger side - black plastic pipe going into chassis rail behind front wheel, rear of strut.
(to see it you need to take the little plastic panel off in wheel arch by rail & jack up car to get a good look.)
I had to clip mine back in, as I had to replace a rubber joining pipe.
You wouldn't normally have to do what I did. It just popped out on me.
At Ieast I now know where the original pipe goes.

>> So do I do the same on the passenger side ?
Run a fuel pipe down along the chassis rail & into a hole in the rail near the exhaust hanger bracket?

Attachments

• Canister Drain pipe.jpg
    Canister Drain pipe.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

cam04

Thanks Cam. Sound like you did the suggested method from Piranha with their battery tray. It didn't go with that idea.
As I would prefer a large main battery with winch attached.
The setup with the smaller 60-65Ah battery has served me pretty much. Aux Battery would last until about 10am in the morning before going flat and have to go for a drive. Running: Waeco CFX-50W fridge, with a LED light strip on rear door (~1amp), 1x work light for a short time while setting up if required (15W) & another 1 meter LED light strip on side for a couple of hours at night.
And of course charge mobile, and maybe run a Bluetooth small speaker for some tunes.
Don't know how much juice the Waeco CFX-50W fridge uses, at night set at -3Deg Cel, during a drive during the day crank up to -5 or -7 Deg Cel to get it nice and cold for the night. My guess, 2amps per hours.
65 ampH battery, 50%>10.8 volts = around 30 amps usable.

If I upgrade to a Aux battery 80 ampH, (40 amps usable), with Kings 110w Fixed Solar panel and upgrade controller to a MPPT.
Hopefully this should last until morning, and then the sun kicks in and puts a bit of juice in the battery to at least keeps fridge going, and a bit for charging. Hope I can get an average 5amps power flowing.

I also have replied to a post on Prado Point hoping I can find some answers there too.

>But to make life easy I will put my details post below.

As my current question at the moment is:

If you move the Carbon canister to drivers side.
What do you do with the drain pipe at the bottom of the canister?

Where did you run the pipe down to?
In the original position (passenger side), drain pipe goes into the chassis.

Pic attached: Original drain pipe on passenger side - black plastic pipe going into chassis rail behind front wheel, rear of strut.
(to see it you need to take the little plastic panel off in wheel arch by rail & jack up car to get a good look.)
I had to clip mine back in, as I had to replace a rubber joining pipe.
You wouldn't normally have to do what I did. It just popped out on me.
At Ieast I now know where the original pipe goes.

>> So do I do the same on the passenger side ?
Run a fuel pipe down along the chassis rail & into a hole in the rail near the exhaust hanger bracket?
My kit came with a couple of hose extension lines which ran around the firewall and back into the originals if I remember correctly. To be fair, charcoal canisters do stuff all anyway, just arrest the fume smell on hot days. You could make one any size or just delete it - your prado forum should have better ideas than me trying to remember back nearly 20 years though hopefully haha.