Change background image

Battery Charging correctly

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jackolux, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

From my reading the calcium Batteries recommended charge rate is 14.2v minimum.

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

That is their MAXIMUM charge rate. They will still charge with a lower voltage, just take longer.
    Tink

3. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate it wasn't directed at you personally just an overall observation...

4. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

A lot, maybe the majority, of recreational vehicle owners get all hung up about how much they should or shoudln’t discharge their batteries. Some get obsessive and spend way too much time checking and double checking their batteries when they should be enjoying their time camping. Yes, I check my batteries, morning and night, but I don’t check any other time, unless the beer is not cold.
    Let’s have a look at what you can realistically expect. The below chart shows how many cycles you MAY expect for different Depths of Discharge (DOD). Now, like everything in the 12 volt world, there are different opinions, even from the battery manufacturers. Trojan, for example, say you will get 1000 cyles at 50% DOD. But for this exercise, let’s just stick with the below chart to illustrate what life you MAY expect from your AGM battery.
    100% DOD - 300 cycles
    50% DOD - 650 cycles
    30% DOD - 1600 cycles
    First up, most AGM warranties are around the 3 years. So battery manufacturers reckon they are pretty safe guaranteeing an AGM for 3 years. Any more and it is a bonus.
    Now, how many times a year do you go camping. For the very keen, a 4 week annual holiday, so 28 days. Add another 2 weekends every month for the remaining 11 months, so another 48 days. A total for the year of 76 days. I certainly do not get to camp that many times each year and I don’t know too many who do. Some grey nomads or map lappers might but they are the exception.
    Let’s say you discharge and recharge every day you are camping for the year. That is 76 cycles per year. So, by the chart you can expect the following battery life (provided your battery is correctly maintained and charged):
    100% DOD - 300/76 = 3.95 years
    50% DOD - 650/76 = 8.55 years
    30% DOD - 1600/76 = 21 years

Now who is stressing for no reason?
    Tink
    45F769F9-290C-419D-AF65-3C6641991E44.jpeg

komaterpillar, Swaggie and GaryM like this.
  5. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

I note your piss take, didnt piss take your side of the argument and it definately started with putting words into the mouths of those you were 'not arguing' with. A distortion, or more accurately a LIE that is the foundation for a lot of the scoffing that went on in there.

Plausible deniability is less effective when its text.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  6. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

No Swaggie I know , I was just saying , all good

Swaggie likes this.
  7. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Whats that ? lol
    Yes your right, Max charge. :)

8. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

It's just a lot of us have been led to believe that unless we can achieve the max voltage for the type of battery before it goes to float the battery will never be fully charged , I now believe that's BS .

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Yep, BS! If you need proof, go to your battery’s manufacturer’s website and check the specifications. Do not go to a battery reseller’s website as they often have the wrong info.
    Tink

drivesafe likes this.
  10. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Difference re: Calcium from what I can tell, is 100% related to its ability to keep cool.
    - Charging generates lower temps due to the calcium replacing antimony in the lead plates
    - Lower temps means they can deal with higher voltages before they would boil (there is possibly a trade off, and they could have a slightly higher minimum too??)
    - Lower temps means less evap of electrolyte
    - Less evap means maintenance free is more realistic
    - Less heat and evap means they will likely last longer, provided you dont undercharge
    - Cheaper to make

Meaning is just a slightly more reliable lead acid battery.

Any shortfall from a 14+ volt alt, is not going to be improved with DC-DC, it would be worse.

Downside, if it sits stationary for periods like one of the poster TVan might, then the acid can stratify and needs agitation from high voltage. That is, it needs to boil? Or be otherwise shaken up. It will appear charged when it isnt, and will sulphate and thatis the one thing they are still susceptible too?

Will be hard to find a start battery that isnt calcium now since it suits makers to use it.

Theres actually questions in there, Im not certain of a fair chunk of that.

11. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

My car fridge doesn’t get turned off. My Ute hardly gets driven on weekends and the single optima is struggling come most Monday mornings. My current battery is 6 y.o. and still floats at 13v. Some of us obviously have more to lose or gain by getting charging systems right.

dabbler likes this.
  12. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

I thought I would give the Tvan Calcium battery a reco charge , the Ctek has been set on reco for 2 days now and is only on the 7th stage , my multimeter shows it's sitting on 13.67volts , the reco stage (8th) hasn't come on , just wondering why that might be .

13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

How big a charger is it?

14. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

Only a 5amp

15. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

My GUESS is that the amperage is too low to complete the cycle
    5 amps would be more of a maintenance charge

16. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

Just googled the charger, specs say it good for batteries up to 110ah and it will automatically change back to float mode after it has completed the reco cycle , so it may have done that when I was looking the other way.

Albynsw likes this.