Change background image

Bash Plates

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by richardmcgowan, Oct 8, 2018.

1. richardmcgowan

richardmcgowan New Member

Thinking of getting under body bash plates for my BT50, Looked at all on the market and think I will go with "tough toys" which is 3mm stainless steel. But will have to see if they come with a hole directly under the diff plug so it can be drained without removing the bash plate.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Buy whatever you like. I have the 4 piece TJM plates .
    Work well , plenty of smacks , no stress servicing , and they have raised rounded dome nut protectors so you don't rip a bolt head off ;)

Bambi05 likes this.
  3. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

I have ARB and all mounting bolt heads are recessed, no chance of damage. Nothing underneath to get caught on rocks or ledges either. It is these details which cost that bit extra.
    Tink

4. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

I just bought a trans guard from Boo's & wish I had of know about Boo's before I bought my TJM because I would have saved a heap of money for basically the same product!!
    They do a 3 plate set for the BT for $380!
    That's cheap!!!!!!!!
    Think I paid the same for the TJM for the intercooler & sump guard alone!

Check them out-
    https://www.boosbashplates.com.au/price-list/

5. Aza013

Aza013 Active Member

I just got a full set from Boo’s for the challenger. I would recommend them, service/product and price verry good.

6. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

They're not really the same product though, mine are bush skinz which are just pressed flat plate and that's fine, they're solid as anything but the bolt heads are fully exposed and cop a pounding. The arb/tjm and I think even ironman are all somewhat nicer made.

7. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

Ok so I cant compare the same TJM's parts I have to the Boo's components but apart from actually analysing the type of steel used between the 2 I cant see there being much difference.
    Comparing the prices for the same 3 pieces between the bush skins & Boo's which are both black powder coated the Boo's are $255 cheaper!
    So approx. 38% cheaper.
    If you can tell me that the bush skins are 38% better then I will just have to believe you ;)

Some people buy by brand & pay a premium because they think they are getting a better product but in reality they are really paying for a name without any real advantage or quality...………...like ARB or TJM :rolleyes:

I am very happy with the Boo's & like I said I would could have put a couple of tanks of fuel into my Triton with the difference I could have saved if I got the full 3 plates from Boo's over the TJM's.

Big name= bigger prices imo!!

8. CaptainBanana

No - bigger name means pressed ribs, potentially thinner steel, less weight and same or more strength. It will likley also have recessed bolt holes so you won't tear off your mounts (super common on shitty triton pressed mounts)....its not just the brand you're paying for.

20181006_122507_100.jpg

9. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

You want thinner steel :confused:
    Buy 3mm instead of 4mm then :D

No recessed holes on my TJM's!!

10. CaptainBanana

Many tjm and arb do have a raised area around the bolt hole..
    Seriously I don't own them nor do I care but making a blanket statement saying it's all the same is not true. Also powder coat vs zinc vs paint vs nothing is a consideration, be serious not all things are made equal.

11. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

I will rephrase then...……………………………..very similar but much cheaper :cool:

12. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

Is that like saying a Triton is the same as a Ranger?

dno67 likes this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Its all relative , and really any brand plate / plates would work ok , which is better than nothing.
    Its only the diff dragging that kills you in the end ;)

14. joekar

joekar Active Member

I fitted the Bushskinz plates to the 'jero and they have worked well and copped a couple of clangs.
    The main reason for fitting them to a Pajero is to protect the intercooler which is mounted far too low down below the radiator and in a very vulnerable position.

15. Cokedaddy216

Cokedaddy216 Active Member

Some folk buy ARB because we have lots of money , like there products love Australian made & we like to spend our cash :rolleyes: how we see fit ;)

16. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

They make bull bars in Melbourne but what of their whole product line??
    I expect most of their other components comes here from their Taiwan plant :rolleyes:

They all do it!

17. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

I think you mean Thailand, not Taiwan :)
    Big difference between buying from a retail company who sources their product feom an offshore manufacturer at the cheapest possible price, like a lot of accessory manufacturers do, to buying from an Aussie company which designs and develops its own products AND owns its offshore factory and manufactures to your own quality standards like ARB does.
    Tink

18. Lost1?

Lost1? Member

Fitted Bushskinz to my Ute. Like others have said there are no recesses for bolt heads. But at 4mm thick they are robust. They have just started making 6mm alloy plates if weight is an issue.