@BARRA_GU ,400RWKW XR6 Turbo Engine Conversion GU PATROL -Georgie's Twin Locked GU Patrol

Thug

Mate there are grubs in every part of life travelled. You and your crew did an outstanding job and did it the right way from the get go. Don't worry about the turd who had a whinge, it will be outed eventually. Take care and enjoy your new beastie.

Barra GU

Hi Earthlings
So its been a while since i have posted on here but just thought I would give you all a quick update.
The rig has been performing flawlessly around town on daddy duties , as a grocery getter, as a sleeper, and as an off road vehicle.

That was up until i decided to go to the high country a couple months back and i had to get the thing towed home.
It turned out to be a bad connection and wiring from ecu to the bf pedal and i had to get the thing rewired again because the way the original mob that did the conversion did it was kak.

Since then though its been running perfectly with no dramas.

So over all for those of you that arent aware, the purpose of this build was to build a tough af off roader that i could hit up some hardcore tracks by day, go home slap on the slicks and go mix it up with the boys on the strip by night.

I mean, why not right? They are known as being one of the greatest 4wds off road and these days are also known as the go to 4wd if you are wanting to run big hp in them.
Just look at our amazing brothers over in dubai and you will evidently see what they are doing with these rigs.

So given that was my goal, i have been happy with where we are but now its time to go for some serious hp.

Recently i have been doing my head in with who to tune the rig. You speak to one mob and they sound wonderful, you speak to another then they sound better. Over all i have managed to speak to 4 different joint (yes i have done extensive research) as barras are a well known engine so theres many people available for tuning them who know them well.

In the end i have opted to take it to Independent motorsports in Morwell, who are currently home to the worlds fastest ford territory with 1000hp and 9 second quarter mile...

I have been doing my head in trying to figure out what i am going to do tune wise as there are so many options.

Go pump 98 as hard as we can till we hit the limit and be ok but not that fast.

Spend a shit load on 2200cc injector, new 2x fuel pumps, flex fuel system, surge tank, and tune for e85?

Problem with doing the above to options leaves me unhappy with either of them. The pump 98 is never gunna be enough to make me happy and the e85 though expensive and awesome just isnt practical enough when i own a 4wd that visits the high country and goes touring etc. With e85 being up to 35 % more thirsty than pump 98 i was stuck at a cross road until now...

Enter Water to Methanol Injection. Damn, after doing some serious research all i was left with was where have you been all my life ???
The beauty of water methanol injection is that its 50/50 ratio which is stored in its own resevoir on board in your vehicle and it is squirted (direct port entry) to each cylinder along with an extra injector after the cooler on the manifold.

The idea of meth injection is to creat lower intake temps which then allows the engine to be wound up more thus endingnup with more power.

What i find absolutey extroadinary with this is i am still able to run 98 with heaps better economy, my current 1000cc injectors and also my curent walbro 460 in tank pump.

We are also in the process of getting a new turbo built by the boys at procharge in sunbury but can not spill the beans too much with sizes yet.

The set up i am currently going has ran a 9.30et at calder with around 600rwkw on an xr6 turbo

Given the engine is in a big gu and has to go through my driveline and the built re4 i will be lucky to see 500rwkw but either way this is more than enough for me to be happy with it as its peak performance.

The entire process will be getting documented by the a4s media boys for there youtube channel so soon enough you will most probably see it on line.

Eventually when its done i will slap on the slicks and head to calder.

Looking forward to the next couple months

Petunia

You got to LOVE Victoria, try changing your radiator cap colour in QLD is a NO-NO.

Water? WATER? You best read and take note of some of the other threads round here and fit a catch can to get rid of that water. :D In the back of my mind water injection as a HP increase is not new is it? although it would have been as simple as a windscreen washer motor squirting it down the carby in those years. I had never heard of methanol/water mix, yet running methanol been there done that, and poormans methanol - 200ml fingernail polish remover [acetone] to 20lt petrol ... Man WHAT gas you running man? *cough*

Dubai? .... They are ummm crazy is about all I can say, you go down the blacktop 1/4, they go UP the sand 1/4 in 7.5 secondso_O

It is great to read of your endeavours :cool:

dno67

Would be good to see a before and after quarter video's side by side.
Look forward to following the hunt for hp, what's thw go with a cage and front runners sub 10s or you gunna wait for the tap on the shoulder and play dumb. lol
Anyway should be fun, and keep a few intertained.

CaptainBanana

You got to LOVE Victoria, try changing your radiator cap colour in QLD is a NO-NO.

Water? WATER? You best read and take note of some of the other threads round here and fit a catch can to get rid of that water. :D In the back of my mind water injection as a HP increase is not new is it? although it would have been as simple as a windscreen washer motor squirting it down the carby in those years. I had never heard of methanol/water mix, yet running methanol been there done that, and poormans methanol - 200ml fingernail polish remover [acetone] to 20lt petrol ... Man WHAT gas you running man? *cough*

Dubai? .... They are ummm crazy is about all I can say, you go down the blacktop 1/4, they go UP the sand 1/4 in 7.5 secondso_O

It is great to read of your endeavours :cool:
You need a lot of pressure to run the fogger nozzles at the required droplet size, from memory 95psi +. My setup used a 40 micron nozzle post throttle body which was triggered by a simple boost switch to come on at 10psi. A washer bottle type install will effectively pour water in which is not ideal but you're right the technology is ancient.

discomatt

Water injection has been around for years, my brother had a HQ with a sick 350 that had it, we would drive it to Calder put on slicks , run mid 10's all night, put the road tires back on and drive it home. Not sure what was more fun, Calder park or the trip there and back;).
Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Barra GU

Would be good to see a before and after quarter video's side by side.
Look forward to following the hunt for hp, what's thw go with a cage and front runners sub 10s or you gunna wait for the tap on the shoulder and play dumb. lol
Anyway should be fun, and keep a few intertained.
Heya pal,
There will definitely be a before and after vid of somesort.

A4smedia will be documenting this next stage of the project (chasing 500rwkw) so they will be heading to procharge in sunbury to ducument the turbo build, the meth injection and the tune itself at independent motorsports.

After all this we will be filming a day trip out at ellis track and then straight from there we head to calder to run it on the same night to try and achieve our goal of producing a vehicle that is versatile, reliable and well built.
Fingers crossed it works in my favour and nothing breaks during this.

With 500rwkw there is something bound to break but we will work on strengthening it as we go.

It ran a 20.86et at heathcote before the barra swap so if i can beat that i will be happy ;)

In regards to the tap on the shoulder I'm going to try my luck with calder, but if they become painful to deal with in regards to andra requirements then I'll just head to heathcote...

Just recently i had full boost contact me as they got wind that we were thinking of competing in drag challenge later on in the year.
Its still not a definite but i think it would be pretty amusing to rock up to an even, run a few passes then open up your awning, slide out the fridge and grab a couple cold ones whilst you're watching the rest of the beasts during the event .

Barra GU

thought about a flex fuel system? saw its now possible on the fords. Then you can run 98 or e85 or anywhere in between just by filling up
I was seriously concidering flex up until i got wind of water to meth. From then on i decoded it would be better for me to stivk to water to meth.
1 : i dont need 2200cc injectors
2: dont need twin pumps and surge tank
3: dont have to worry about draining tank or having seperate tanks

Barra GU

Water injection has been around for years, my brother had a HQ with a sick 350 that had it, we would drive it to Calder put on slicks , run mid 10's all night, put the road tires back on and drive it home. Not sure what was more fun, Calder park or the trip there and back;).
Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Thanks Matt same here... only i never think this thing will ever be finished...
After this power i will be looking at suspension and body to make it drive better and look better

Barra GU

do love your build mate, Good work on pushing the boundaries again. When are we going for a wheel?
Hey bruv,
Cheers,
At the moment, im laying low playing dad to a 2 yr old and a 3 week old so dont think I'll be going anywhere any time soon.
Im going to utilize this time off to get the above mentioned sorted then its game on!

Barra GU

So this week i have managed to get the ball rolling with a number of things with the rig.

We have been over to see Ben from Procharge turbochargers in sunbury and have arranged the specifications and build of the new turbocharger...
We have now decided, rather than go 67mm front and rear with 7 blades on both sides, that we will make the rear 9 blades to spool a little faster...

Rather than the turbos capability is to produce 600rwkw it will now only produce around about 550rwkw whoch quite personally i dont think is a big problem anyway.

We have contacted aus 4x4 sales (a4smedia) and they will be filming the process at procharge turbo chargers new complex on the 6 of april next month where they will be documenting what we are doing, why we have chosen this set up amd what we belive it will achieve.

Today i also was told the aquamist water to methanol injection system was going to be getting semt down from sydney early next week so we can get it ready for install.

This is 1 bloody high tech bit of kit.... the fail safe mechanisms involved in this bloody ripper are second to none... the unit will require itto be hardwired into the ecu picking up certain sensors etc so my auto elec will have to wire in to the water flow sensor, boost control lockout, and the input wore which has to go to bank no2 on the o2 sensor signal.

My auto elec is a bloody genius btw so if any of you are in the east give peter from 1st class auto electrical a call.

After this is done, we have booked for the big week of tuning to be not far off that.

As mentioned above all of this will be getting documented for a 2 to 4 part mini series on the a4s media YouTube channel so some time soon you may see my ugly head on the screen.

Anyway.
Big month coming up and i think its just in time for the cool change to occur for a decent run at calder...
Keep you all posted of course!
Hoping you're all well

Barra GU

Hi Earth,

Some time in the near future i am wanting to body swap the old girl to a series 4 plus wagon body.

Is there anyone else here thats taken off a series 1 to 3 body and swapped it with a later model GU series 4 plus??? Or if not on a patrol, has anyone swapped a cab of a car before and can shed some.light??

Was it difficult? What was involved?
If you paid someone what did it cost you???

Now that i have done the barra conversion i am finding that the body has come to the end of its life and is far from saving.... There is not a straight panel on the rig and it looks worse than a comp truck...

The ultimate goal for me is to club reg it in 4 years (counting down the days) with m plate permits through my club when it gets to 25 years old the ace kicker would be to cab swap it.

That way i would have a newer body on a 25 plus year old chassis which allows it for club reg which for me ultimately ends up as the cherry on top.

Question is
Whos done it?
Whats involved?
And i assume it needs to be engineered?
If later model body has abs or asc i also assume it doesnt need it cos its all recognised as being a 98 still???

Cheers in advance

Barra GU

Been a bit slack with the updates on the build lately but at the moment we are full steam ahead.

We took the existing turbo off the car and had procharge turbochargers in sunbury build the new turbo for us.
The new Procharge 67mm turbo has been known to run up to mid 600rwkw on some set ups as of late so to find a turbo that sits on the original ford manifold that produces that much power with very little effects of big lag is astonishing.
The procharge 67 is litreally based off the factory garret but they have an ar70 housing thats been macined both front and rear housings to fit the 67mm wheels on fromt and back...

Here are some photos of it

20190412_155954.jpg
IMG-20190412-WA0065.jpg

Barra GU

Next up in order to do all this both manifolds were stripped off the car and had to buy a 10mm spacer for the turbo not to foul up against the exhaust manifold as the turbo is obviously bigger than factory.
With this spacer it allows us to place the turbo in its exact same location but lifts it up slightly as it was just touching the manifold.

The cold side inlet plenum/manifold has also been removed so i can drill into it for the direct port water to methanol injection system.

20190413_121851.jpg
20190413_121903.jpg

Barra GU

So with the turbo sitting back with the car and getting ready for re installation i had taken the manifold home last night so i can drill out the manifold for the direct port injection system.

Once the kids and wife were in bed and my daddy duties were over i jumped into the man cave , slapped on the tunes, grabbed a beer (or two) and began.

Drilling inti the intake manifold isnt something i felt conpletely comfortable with unless i had asked the 100's of questions that i had in my mind answered.
We found that there was a flat circle section on the manifold that was there for casting purposes from factory which seemed to be the perfect place for them...

I marked out all the spots and pre-drilled then with a pilot hold first then worked my way up to the 8.5.. drill bit that we needed to use for the correct fitment of the injector adapters.

20190416_222805.jpg
20190416_223137.jpg
20190416_223703.jpg

Barra GU

After this was done i carefully began to insert the tap into the holes using most probably more cutting compound than i needed to as paranoia starts to creep in.

I found that this was the most intricate part of the process as i had to ensure i was not going in on any funny angles and had to also ensure the 1/8 npt tap was being turned with the same amount of firmness each time i went further in whilst it was tapping out the holes... (if you're ever going to do this into aluminum i found that its much easier than steel but the second you feel more resistance than normal just give it a bit more of a spray with the cutting compound and it will continue to turn easier).

20190416_225100.jpg
20190416_225111.jpg