BARAKULA State Forest near Chinchilla QLD

denk

G'day all.
Wondering if anyone has checked out BARAKULA STATE FOREST near Chinchilla QLD? What is the campground like? Tracks worth exploring?

rob_macca67

I haven't been there yet but hope to get there in June this year sometime. Looking at Google Maps, etc, there appear to be some interesting places to explore at least...I then plan to head north to check out Expedition NP as well

I would like to hear your experiences of the place if u end up heading out that way...

denk

I haven't been there yet but hope to get there in June this year sometime. Looking at Google Maps, etc, there appear to be some interesting places to explore at least...I then plan to head north to check out Expedition NP as well

I would like to hear your experiences of the place if u end up heading out that way...
Hi Rob. Well we head out next week for 4 days. It says the entire campground is free... lets see. Im taking the dog so I hope it is. We will check out Simons Mill, apparently there are some old oil bore sites there too. Ill see if I can climb up the fire towers and drive up some of the main features. Will take some photos of the trip and what I found worth doing and post it up here.

rob_macca67

That would be great... hope your trip goes well and look forward to reading your report.

I've attached my proposed tracklog & POI's of the area that hopefully I get a chance to explore

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 29

denk

That would be great... hope your trip goes well and look forward to reading your report.

I've attached my proposed tracklog & POI's of the area that hopefully I get a chance to explore
Nice plan you have there. A lot of those I don’t have on my plan. What are you using to log those routes?

denk

Garmin BaseCamp is my "go-to" program for Trip Planning
G'day mate. Well our trip was restful and didn't see a soul out there. Best camp sites at Dogwood Creek are to the far right when you enter the area. Isolated and almost 360 water views. Midgies in the AM and PM so prepare for that. The place is massive. Takes a full day to get around looking at what is worth looking at. The old saw mill is okay, nothing special really and takes a long time to get there to see two structures. Turkey Mountain has great views also. I don't think I will visit it again but its worth a night to stop over on the way to somewhere more spectacular.

rob_macca67

G'day mate. Well our trip was restful and didn't see a soul out there. Best camp sites at Dogwood Creek are to the far right when you enter the area. Isolated and almost 360 water views. Midgies in the AM and PM so prepare for that. The place is massive. Takes a full day to get around looking at what is worth looking at. The old saw mill is okay, nothing special really and takes a long time to get there to see two structures. Turkey Mountain has great views also. I don't think I will visit it again but its worth a night to stop over on the way to somewhere more spectacular.
Good to know.... my intentions to get there in June may not happen due to things needing to be done at the house and the long waiting period to get things done, so will keep in mind your advice ;)
The midges have me worried though as I seem to get a bad reaction to them that lasts for a few weeks - maybe middle of winter is the better time to visit for me...

denk

Good to know.... my intentions to get there in June may not happen due to things needing to be done at the house and the long waiting period to get things done, so will keep in mind your advice ;)
The midges have me worried though as I seem to get a bad reaction to them that lasts for a few weeks - maybe middle of winter is the better time to visit for me...
They were not overly bad. But i rarely have the mosquito cross-hairs on me so i was surprised that the midgies did find me attractive. But they weren't trip destroying that is for sure. Saw fair few emus, plenty of bird varieties, roos, wallabies etc. Worth ticking off the list that is for sure.

denk

Here are a few happy snaps - Turkey Mountain was the "hardest" track i encountered.... and it was beginner level and only 5 min worth of driving time as well.
IMG_4150.jpg
IMG_4148.jpg

Last edited: