Back Door Action!!

knot_gillty

So the day started off slow today. Got up late, thought of going out to O'Tooles for a drive but saw the amount of vehicles heading in that general direction so didn't go. Ended up thinking "Bugger it, i'll muck around on the Cruiser and see what i can't break"!

So, this is where it started:

Before:

Filing the edges:

End result:

All i need to do now is buy some webbing strap. I will also be doing the other rear door and all doors in the front of the Cruiser. I might even put some map pockets on the 2 front doors, see how talented i'm feeling at the time! :D

I'm happy with the result so far. Total cost when i've done other back door: $95.00. Can't complain about that at all!!:D:D:D

Grumpy

Might pay to round off the other corner, hate to see one of the kids walk into that, well done, your just so talented.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Was looking to do something like that in wood. It would be good to put rubber edging on it so no one cuts themselves

Jacked Surf

Very nice, I like that idea.

And exactly what i was thinking Grumpy and Bmurray2250, Put some rubber edging, like door seal around it to prevent any accidental injuries. at that height thats a kids throat just waiting to get cut.

A quick and cheap alternative, chain might be better to use to hold it in position if you intend to put heavier items on there, plenty of metal on those doors to bolt it to as well. Although that may be noisier (rattles etc) and more agricultural then you are looking for.

Last edited:

knot_gillty

Yeah it's not 100% finished yet. I will be putting some webbing strap to hold it level Bushnut so Kirra wont have sore arms for long. Grumpy and bmurray, edges are rounded off beautifully so no-one will get cut. It's only for making sangas and the like on so nothing heavy will be paced on it. I will be doing the other rear door and making it sturdier for holder one of those butane cookers. Any heavy items will be placed on the drawers in the back.

It will only be folded open when there is someone standing there so kids shouldn't run into it! I might do some sort of edging on it, we'll see how it goes for now.

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
well done gilly

looking forwward to seeing the final presentation at otooles

Tats

Backdoor Table

Well done, it looks great! An old idea, but a goodee. A mate of mine had one of those strange looking little 'cruisers they brought out in the mid to late '80s. Being stint for interior room, he made and fitted something very similar, but instead he removed the interior panelling of the larger back door, and made the table fold inside the door, he attached the original panel to the underside of the table so that it was almost undetectable when folded up. He also had a small ridge around the edge to prevent "stuff" from sliding off if the truck was at a bit of an angle. Another mate bought an ex-police troopy at auction and fitted it out for an around Oz trip. He also included something similar for quick stops, but as well he fitted secure compartments into various parts of the cabin, where he could leave valuables. Again they were almost undetectable unless you knew they were there. He was able to carry ready cash for purchases in the outback - credit cards were not as popular back then, and wifey was able to carry a bit of "glitter" to hang around her neck when they had a night out on the "town". There's nothing like Aussie ingenuity.

Tats

knot_gillty

What i was planning on doing originally was remove the door panel, place this table there and fill the door out with little shelves to store things on. I was a bit concerned about it rattling too much, it might drown the other rattles out....

I've heard of people using the door space or the rear guard as water storage. Obviously, frosty and Yobbo, they would put some sort of container in there first..:rolleyes:

Pure Yobbo

What i was planning on doing originally was remove the door panel, place this table there and fill the door out with little shelves to store things on. I was a bit concerned about it rattling too much, it might drown the other rattles out....

I've heard of people using the door space or the rear guard as water storage. Obviously, frosty and Yobbo, they would put some sort of container in there first..:rolleyes:

What you trying to say there Gilly? That Landcrusiers have lots of rust holes and you need a container?

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer

Most Toy,,,ota's ARE just water containers, that roll!!! a bit!:rolleyes:

Tats

Strangely, Toyota's aren't made in heaven as some think, and they submerge quicker than an RAN submarine. When the old Kenthurst fire trail was open and used as a training venue for a number of clubs, a friend took his brand new 'cruiser out for a run with his teenage son. This bloke was very experienced and a very good driver, but like many of us he was a bit complacent. On this day he failed to inspect the water crossing that he had negotiated so many times in the past, and, literally, plunged right in. The 'cruiser went to the bottom rapidly, the water closing down any operation of the electric windows which were closed. The vehicle became completely submerged with no easy way out. My friend realised the seriousness of the situation whilse the back window was still above water level and managed to kick the back door glass out - he and his son made an exit to safety. He was very lucky, and also managed to get a super wash inside and out for the Tojo with very little effort!.

Tats:D:D:D

billolga

What i was planning on doing originally was remove the door panel,..................

I replaced the Door panel with a piece of Masonite on both doors - It's easy to keep clean & when it does get daggie you just re-paint it. You can get the plastic press studs from super cheap to hold it on the door.