Awning Or Not?

D_Hilux

Hey Guys,
Recently been looking at getting an awning.
NOW...
The thing is I want an 1200mm (wide) x 2000mm (long) Awning to go onto the top of my toolbox. (Toolboxes are only 1200mm long).
Toolboxes are like this.
ute_toolbox1a.jpg
Awning is this big.
DSCF5181.jpg

Now this is where you guys with awnings come in and tell me if this is a great idea or not?
I would like to use it to cook under and set my swag up underneath when I'm on simple weekend trips to save setting up a tent or tarp when its raining and all the rest of it.

Will this do the job or will it be really no use and I would never set it up?

Thanks

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Small awning will struggle to keep rain off you, usually with rain there's a little wind and rain will likely be driven in at an angle.

It will keep dew off the swag on still mornings ok.

I feel a 1600 x 2000 or 2500 out woul do the job ok.

Can you get 1200 wide ?
Guess maybe, as there are a lot of different sizes come out in the past couple of years.

I have a 1400 at home to fit to the back, only for shade when cooking on the tailgate, and only when doing trips with the missus using the awning tent (usual 2500 x 2000 size).
Just sorta feels more 'like home' cooking / sitting under shelter.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I reckon it would be to small ( narrow). Maybe get a 2500 wide one or slightly smaller X 2000 to 2500 reaching out.. Maybe fit some kind of brackets to each end of your tool box. This may give you a little more height and also more width ( hangover at the back end of your tool box). You could also fit the awning to your brackets in a way that it could be removed when home and quickly fitted when going camping. Then when home and removed it would not interfere with your work.

D_Hilux

Yer you can buy 1200, 1400 and 1600 wide awnings.
The quick brackets are a good idea. Might need to take to the drawing board.

Thanks guys.

Biggsy

What I have done to a old 2.5 side awning is removed the poly canvas from the awning.
I then bought sail track from bunnings and popped riverted it to the bottom of the door to my 1200 long tool boxes. Can also buy canvas eye holes punches for a few bucks.

I then just slide canvas through. The hight is what the door opens at and I just use 2-3 poles to peg it down.

The canvas folds neatly away behind the seat and pole under the tray in a pvc tube
This link shows you can buy separate shade awings that slide into the sail track of a awaning. Most likely find one cheaper on eBay http://www.toughtoys.com.au/products/586/

Swaggie

What I have done to a old 2.5 side awning is removed the poly canvas from the awning.
I then bought sail track from bunnings and popped riverted it to the bottom of the door to my 1200 long tool boxes. Can also buy canvas eye holes punches for a few bucks.

I then just slide canvas through. The hight is what the door opens at and I just use 2-3 poles to peg it down.

The canvas folds neatly away behind the seat and pole under the tray in a pvc tube
This link shows you can buy separate shade awings that slide into the sail track of a awaning. Most likely find one cheaper on eBay http://www.toughtoys.com.au/products/586/

I just rang a canvas place the other day about this, been meaning to do this for over a year , never seen that link before today, seems a bit expensive at $160 for a 2m wide piece...

billolga

I just rang a canvas place the other day about this, been meaning to do this for over a year , never seen that link before today, seems a bit expensive at $160 for a 2m wide piece...
You get what you pay for, BUT, balance out how long you want it for & for what type of trips. For some people it's what you can afford and/or how much you want to use it.
In my case my gear costs a bomb compared to some of the awnings/tents available , but I am still using what I bought 15 years ago.
I got my mate to buy some material for side curtains for my REAR awning with him sewing it for FREE & it cost me more than what you can buy those 2.5 x 2.0 mtr awnings, (watching them fold up after rain or strong winds though is another story).

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
My 2.5 x 2.5 isn't really big enough sometimes in bad weather.

I wouldn't waste your time with anything less than 2meters!

dirvine

I have the kalhari pwerful 4x4 2.5x 3 metre awning and clip on tent. I used it on my two outback trips, and now doubt I will ever use the oztent again unless I stay at a place for any considerable time. Pack up is quick, storage is small and managable. It also fits our queen size framed blow up bed. It has been in some wet and slightly windy weather. All I did was use 2 guy ropes on each corner rather than the one provided. On a wet morning I just packed up the bed and cooked inside the tent. No problems but its not something I would all the time.