Auto or Manual?

shalesh

Hello ,
i am new to the 4x4 game.
i am curently looking for a 4x4 ute mostly but i am open minded to a wagon.
i wanted to know a few things i should know aout buying my first 4x4.

Auto/Semi auto or manual?
Ute or Wagon?
Where can i get a second fuel tank?
best 4x4 wheels (i am guessing rocky terain tyres are the best option?)
would swamp boggers be crap for rocky/dusty terain?

how much would it take to turn a car into a good 4x4 car?

what should i be looking for?

sorry if these questions seem dumb i am really new and i dont want to make a wrong decision and stop our family from going camping in better positions. (lol, seems dumb i know)

thanks for your time !

croozza

Hello ,
i am new to the 4x4 game.
i am curently looking for a 4x4 ute mostly but i am open minded to a wagon.
i wanted to know a few things i should know aout buying my first 4x4.

Auto/Semi auto or manual?
Ute or Wagon?
Where can i get a second fuel tank?
best 4x4 wheels (i am guessing rocky terain tyres are the best option?)
would swamp boggers be crap for rocky/dusty terain?

how much would it take to turn a car into a good 4x4 car?

what should i be looking for?

sorry if these questions seem dumb i am really new and i dont want to make a wrong decision and stop our family from going camping in better positions. (lol, seems dumb i know)

thanks for your time !

Welcome aboard.
You should get an auto, it is the way of the future, and because you are new to this will be easier you you to learn how to 4wd, just remember you still change gears manually when off roading, and leave it in drive when on the road, unless when you are going down steep hills then you change down manually.
If you get a Landcruiser, Patrol, or Prado you get twin tanks anyway, if you still want more fuel, your friendly 4wd shop will put you in the right direction.
Keep the tyres you already have and use them for on road use, and buy a set of muddies and steel rims for off road use.
It is up to you with getting either a wagon or ute, but remember if you get a ute you donot get as a comfortable ride as a wagon.
Depends if you are going new or used to how much it will cost to turn it into a great off roader, but I recommend just doing tyres and lift (2 inches) go for EFS as it is one of the best kits on the market (if the vehicle has leaf springs it will cost more to do the suspension), and some recovery gear, (do not go out on your own, always go out with some mates), when you come to terms with the vehicle then get other gear like lockers, bull bar, winch, lighting, ect as the list goes on.
And remember to have a sence of humour, as no matter what vehicle you get you will always cop a ribbing from someone else, (if we all drove the same vehicles we would most likely stir each other up about wheels), never take anything to heart, just give back as much as you take as it is all in fun!.
Enjoy

shalesh

thanks

Cheers , thats helped alot and thanks for the welcome :).

i think i might go something like a landcruiser. i didnt know they all came with a second tank.
so pretty much to get started all you need is wheels and a lift kit?
so it might just cost $5,000 ontop of getting the car?(no idea how much it cost)
i never thought of an auto as being better. i thought people only stuck to manuals.
but i guess you never go to 3rd gear do you?
then you dont have the clutch problem,Also is there anything i should know about driving an auto 4x4? the other peple i know who have 4x4 all have manuals. when it stalls what should i do? just brake and try again ?
i have only been on burgynoes track in licola in vic.
(i am so very new to this and i am not really a cars person, and i have only driven an auto atm my car is a VE Calais lol)

kiwijaz

Well your question about auto or manual is about to open a big can of worms, i say Manual all the way. Have a look at he Poll that is running on here at the moment on Auto or Manual you will see what i mean by the can of worms.

As to what to buy i dont think anyone can really tell you what truck to buy it has to be really what you are going to be comfortable in. As you can see i have the Navara which has taken me alot of places already but even it still has its plus's and minus's as do all 4bys so do you homework and test drive a whole lot of different ones then make ur desision.

Thats pretty much my advice for you.

croozza

Cheers , thats helped alot and thanks for the welcome :).

i think i might go something like a landcruiser. i didnt know they all came with a second tank.
so pretty much to get started all you need is wheels and a lift kit?
so it might just cost $5,000 ontop of getting the car?(no idea how much it cost)
i never thought of an auto as being better. i thought people only stuck to manuals.
but i guess you never go to 3rd gear do you?
then you dont have the clutch problem,Also is there anything i should know about driving an auto 4x4? the other peple i know who have 4x4 all have manuals. when it stalls what should i do? just brake and try again ?
i have only been on burgynoes track in licola in vic.
(i am so very new to this and i am not really a cars person, and i have only driven an auto atm my car is a VE Calais lol)

That is going to depend on what landcruiser you are going to get.
lets start from the top......
200 series, comes with auto only, twin tanks (136lts, unless you go for the top of the range which only has one tank 90 ltrs, due to weight) suspension kit is around $1500. accessories are coming onto the market, so will get better.
76 series, manual only, single tank only (90ltrs), suspension kit around $2000. due to rear leaf springs.
100 series (late), Auto or Manual, twin tanks (136 ltrs), suspension kit around $1200 - $1600 depends if you want to do the front torsion bars, but if you don't then you just wind up the front. Lots of after market stuff to get
100 series (early) and 80 series Auto or Manual, twin tanks (145ltrs) suspension kit around $1200 and heaps of gear to get for them.
Now if you stall a manual on a hill, the rule of thumb is, handbrake on, select reverse (low range, which you should already be in anyway), ensure your are pointing straight, feet off brake and clutch, take handbrake off, car should hold on hill, (now this is the fun part as it goes against everything you learnt) crank over the engine.......your vehicle will now gently drive down the hill backwards (depending on the terrain) but remember to now ride the brake if neccissary.
hope this helps

GippsSurfer

Apart from the advice above, if you have never driven a 4wd and by the sounds of it, you are not a real car type person, go and enroll yourself in a 4wd course.. you will learn heaps..

also, dont go offroad by yourself.. ever...

Good luck and welcome!

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
Also not getting into auto vs manual

i am an auto person as my 4by is my daily ride as well.

learnt to 4by in a gxl manual and don't mind either way.

once you learnt the driving through the brakes in an auto things are pretty much equal between the two.

Pick what suits you best and learn what is the best way to drive that one.

Whatever type you get of the toyos or niss... are going to serve you well. some models of each have their problems so talk to as many people as you can before you commit.

99% of your initial 4wd work will be able to be completed in a fairly standard rig. when you get a bit more advanced then the mods become more relevant. But beware your 4by at that stage becomes a yacht on wheels. That is it is cheaper to stand in the shower and push $50 notes down the drain.

It doesn't take much for mods to exceed the cost of the vehicle.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Auto or manual.

Auto is the best for most things besides that long down hill must have in 1st gear thing. On the beach, over rocks and most offroad driving it is Auto all the way. My brother hasn't turned back since changing to auto and he has been offroading for the last 25 years.

big_60series

hey there,
I have owned both a manual 60 series and my current truck is an auto 60 series, both have there advantages depending on what type of 4 wheel driving you plan on doing, for example, beach driving is much easyer with an auto, you dont have to worry about shifting gears before you bog yourself, but in saying this autos, some autos can over heat on the beach due to the extra strain on the 4wheel drive(very common in nissan xtrail so i here, if anyone has one to confirm this) so you could be considering things like a good oil cooler for your auto box
The oil in a manual box has one job, lubrication
In an auot box it has 3 jobs
1. it cools the box
2.it lubricates
3. Gives drive to the torque converter

So servicing of your auto box would be an important thing to keep on top of to avoid costly repairs.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, do you want to shift gears a hundred times when going on long trips? And it may be a little more comfortable for the family in an auto wagon...

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nissian Pathfinders and Challeger have a over-temp senor which dis-engages the drive if the auto gets to hot. Just have to wait until if cools down. Bad luck if the tide is incoming

shalesh

the thing that frustrates me is , i want to be able to keep up and i dont want to get left behind or something like that , i dont want to restrict where the family goes because i cant get there , atm the family has a patrol/80sereis and a suziki rocky (sorry for my spelling)

and i am taking everyhing in to acount .. and i think i am going about it all wrong .
i am now thinkin that a duel cab ute might be to light at the back? is that the case?

also thinking that a wagon is what would suit better (even thou i think utes looks sexy as! lol)
but what about fuel? diesel/unleaded/duel fuel??
i have a feeling you might loose to much power with gas, but is there mush difference between unleaded and diesel?

the ideal think i am looking for really is an auto duel-cab turbo-diesel 4x4 ute but if you have ever tried to search that in carsguide.com you will know its impossile.

also does anyone know if there are any 4x4 gear shops in the frankston area?

big_60series

The ute when unloaded may give you a bit of a ruff ride compared to a wagon, the diesel motors tend to keep on going with regular servicing and are better for things like water crossings(no dizzy or spark plugs to get wet) if you want something with a bit more up and go get the turbo diesel.. depending on how far you want to go with your 4 wheel drive set up, 4 wheel drives like gq patrols, suspenion parts are easy to come buy when raising...utes can be a bit resitrictive unless you have deep pockets but if you only after something with a 2 inch lift, a ute would be fine...utes tent to not flex as well as wagon aswell...i guess it all comes down to how far are you going to go with this?
Can i ask what your budget is?
Have you tryed car sales and ebay?

shalesh

i havent set a budget yet because i havent found something that makes me go "ohhh yay!"
i figured that i would probably speand near 10ish for a wagon(im a bargin hunter :p )
then i thought i would spend near... 7ish on parts/modifications (please excuse my spelling) , but i didnt really want to spend more than i guess 18all up i will most likely spend 18ish straight up and get what i want done straight away raising it and wheels and a snokel roof racks and some starting recovery gear..

also i have noticed in everything people saying stuff about jeeps? is there a big hidden joke ? or are they shit lol

croozza

i havent set a budget yet because i havent found something that makes me go "ohhh yay!"
i figured that i would probably speand near 10ish for a wagon(im a bargin hunter :p )
then i thought i would spend near... 7ish on parts/modifications (please excuse my spelling) , but i didnt really want to spend more than i guess 18all up i will most likely spend 18ish straight up and get what i want done straight away raising it and wheels and a snokel roof racks and some starting recovery gear..

also i have noticed in everything people saying stuff about jeeps? is there a big hidden joke ? or are they shit lol

They are ok, they have there quirks, and unexplained fires, stick to Toyota or to a lesser extent Nissan, don't listen to "the Nissan is bullitproof" statement because they are not.

Brisey

the thing that frustrates me is , i want to be able to keep up and i dont want to get left behind or something like that , i dont want to restrict where the family goes because i cant get there , atm the family has a patrol/80sereis and a suziki rocky (sorry for my spelling)

This is all up to making ground rules at the beginning of the trip. All trips I organise have these basic rules:
No one does anything they are uncomfortable with there is always another way around.
No one ever turns a corner & continues unless the person behind sees where you have gone.
The trip is always designed around the least capable / slowest vehicle otherwise a second group is formed.
Always have a tail end charlie keeping in radio contact with the lead vehicle.
One vehicle stops all vehicles stop.

Cheers

Bri