Auto or manual, petrol or diesel

J80 series

Hi,

I'm researching to buy my first J80 series Landcruiser and my first 4x4!

I won't be towing any loads. I'll be using it mainly for camping trips, 4wd tracks & dunes in NSW with some Sydney driving. I'm happy to buy mods to suit my wants and needs.

I'd like to know what experienced drivers think about auto or manual & petrol or diesel?

If you advised the diesel engine, does engine choice make a difference between 1HZ, 1HD-F or 1HD-FT if you can buy after market mods anyways?

TIA!!

2002GU3

G'day mate, welcome to earth, a diesel will cost more than a petrol to buy - BUT diesel should be more reliable and pretty much available everywhere, ( petrol can be hard to get in the outback areas ) maintenence costs would probably even out over time - petrol you need plugs, leads etc...diesel you need to change filters and oil regularly - diesel will also hold it's re-sale value better, also you would be better off getting a factory turbo diesel engine over a NA with a turbo bolted on............Auto or manual is a personal choice on which you prefer - some love manuals, some love auto's.......either way, an 80 series is a capable 4x4

TYNO87

The only downside to petrol is the fuel usage. Autos weren’t too bad for their day, nothing like today’s autos though. If I was in the market for an 80 and wasn’t looking at doing long range touring, just local trips I’d ignore petrol/ diesel/ auto/ manual and just focus on buying the best/ cleanest example I could find for my budget, eg one elderly owner, full service history, always garaged, etc. It’s getting hard to find 80s that haven’t been thrashed though and even good ones are 20+ years old so expect to do some maintenance. Only thing I would avoid is one that’s on gas. Gas was new back then and older engines didn’t always handle it well.

rob_macca67

From reading your post, it doesn't sound like u will be doing long-distance trips, so I would think a petrol version would be your best option as they usually are cheaper to buy, giving u more $$ in your pocket to install the mods u want. Auto/Man is a personal thing, just know that if the Auto starts to play up that usually will cost u more to repair. The Manual has an advantage that if your starter motor plays up or u have a flat battery, u will always be able to clutch start it, but by the sounds of it u don't plan to travel too far from civilisation so that may not is a issue... Just do what was mentioned above and try and find the cleanest/best example u can find in your budget and then start having fun exploring your local area.... but always doing it sensibly ;)

mikehzz

The only downside to petrol is the fuel usage. Autos weren’t too bad for their day, nothing like today’s autos though. If I was in the market for an 80 and wasn’t looking at doing long range touring, just local trips I’d ignore petrol/ diesel/ auto/ manual and just focus on buying the best/ cleanest example I could find for my budget, eg one elderly owner, full service history, always garaged, etc. It’s getting hard to find 80s that haven’t been thrashed though and even good ones are 20+ years old so expect to do some maintenance. Only thing I would avoid is one that’s on gas. Gas was new back then and older engines didn’t always handle it well.
Every taxi in Sydney was running gas in the 70's. I was driving them back then, Falcons and Kingswoods, no problems. I had a Patrol in the 80's on gas, and it went well and saved me a lot of money. It certainly wasn't new, as by 1990 it had been in use for nearly 20 years. It wouldn't put me off, but gas these days is too dear to bother with.

CaptainBanana

This is correct gas has been around forever the earlier tanks look like Bombs, terrifying looking devices but it was certainly not new in the 90s. Some of the initial concern was with valve seat recession but most cars built after 1986 have hardened seats anyway so it became a non-issue really. The issues around gas were simply people being cheap installers using Bunsen burner Style gas rings causing power loss, lean running, backfiring etc.

TYNO87

Every taxi in Sydney was running gas in the 70's. I was driving them back then, Falcons and Kingswoods, no problems. I had a Patrol in the 80's on gas, and it went well and saved me a lot of money. It certainly wasn't new, as by 1990 it had been in use for nearly 20 years. It wouldn't put me off, but gas these days is too dear to bother with.
It may not have been new on carbied engines but it was still in development for injected engines in the 90s. A good mate of mine made a living converting/ installing gas in the 90s/ early 00s. Their systems were new tech at the time and 4x4s made up a large portion of their sales as did falcons. Used to spend a lot of time with him doing “research” on the company card at eastern creek lol.
Ask him about an fz 80 and his answer will be “as long as it’s not on gas”. He’s very familiar with the engine and owns an fz105. If a mechanic that’s had his hands on hundreds if not thousands of gas engines says he wouldn’t touch one I’d do the same.
Anyway if people have had no issues that’s good, if I was buying a used 80 I’d look for one with out a gas tank.

mikehzz

It may not have been new on carbied engines but it was still in development for injected engines in the 90s. A good mate of mine made a living converting/ installing gas in the 90s/ early 00s. Their systems were new tech at the time and 4x4s made up a large portion of their sales as did falcons. Used to spend a lot of time with him doing “research” on the company card at eastern creek lol.
Ask him about an fz 80 and his answer will be “as long as it’s not on gas”. He’s very familiar with the engine and owns an fz105. If a mechanic that’s had his hands on hundreds if not thousands of gas engines says he wouldn’t touch one I’d do the same.
Anyway if people have had no issues that’s good, if I was buying a used 80 I’d look for one with out a gas tank.
Fair enough mate, I have no experience with that model car. I did have 4 cars on gas pre 2000 and never had a problem with any of them over 100's of thousands of kilometres. The last was a '98 3.3 Pathfinder.

discomatt

LPG is well know to kill Toyota heads, i wouldn’t touch an 80 on gas unless the head has been re done. They need replacing every 200,000 km when on gas and are expensive so no long term savings

TYNO87

Fair enough mate, I have no experience with that model car. I did have 4 cars on gas pre 2000 and never had a problem with any of them over 100's of thousands of kilometres. The last was a '98 3.3 Pathfinder.
I don’t doubt it, like I said I’ve spent a lot of time “seat dynoing” different models on gas and most were actually an improvement. As discomatt said though, for some reason gas just didn’t mix with the old ford and Toyota heads. It’s ironic because left untouched the old fz’s and falcon 4.0 are renowned for their ability to clock up some enormous miles.