Auto Insurance Reviews on productreview.com.au?

nicolai_lyle

Curious to how legit the reviews are for auto insurance on productreview? Seems like every auto insurance company has really horrible reviews. Also being from America I'm not sure what insurance companies are reputable here in Australia. After doing some research here some of you love club4x4 others of your have your other opinions about them. I've gotten a quote with them but I think it might be too much insurance for me. So back to the main question can I trust all the reviews on productreview.com.au or can you guys recommend auto insurance companies you use and have been happy with? Thanks in advance!

CaptainBanana

I'm actually a product review ambassador on that website. What that means is we are sent items for assessments and in return we have to write reviews on them. We are not ask to do anything other than use the item as much as possible and write reviews, so I can say from that end of the reviews are true and are designated as ambassador reviews when someone has written them on behalf of product review or the manufacturer / service provider.

The rest of the public reviews are real and true and for most products I would suggest they are fairly accurate. Unfortunately with the insurance products there's a disproportionately high amount of negative reviews because a lot of people have probably been burned when something has not gone their way often as a result of their own doing but not always.

If you look at the underwriters for Australian insurance many of them use the same parent company and that says something too. Me personally I choose my insurance based on the company that provides me the agreed value I want and choice of repairer because that is extremely important if you don't want your car repaired to a poor standard

John U

. Unfortunately with the insurance products there's a disproportionately high amount of negative reviews because a lot of people have probably been burned when something has not gone their way often as a result of their own doing but not always.
Insurance companies are there to make money. It is the client’s responsibility to understand what they are paying for. If you CBFd reading the Insurance policy fine print don’t be Surprised when it doesn’t cover what you imagined it would cover, or disappointed when the insurer points out someThing in your policy which makes your claim invalid.
I put myself well and truly in the ‘non fine print reader’ bucket. I can understand that it would create negative feedback.

I am not sure how insurance applies to overseas visitors. Australia does have consumer protections to stop people getting shafted.
This should cover insurance also.

My cars are insured with AAMI. They have been pretty good with the road car. Haven’t made a claim with the Ranger yet.

boobook

Curious to how legit the reviews are for auto insurance on productreview? Seems like every auto insurance company has really horrible reviews. Also being from America I'm not sure what insurance companies are reputable here in Australia. After doing some research here some of you love club4x4 others of your have your other opinions about them. I've gotten a quote with them but I think it might be too much insurance for me. So back to the main question can I trust all the reviews on productreview.com.au or can you guys recommend auto insurance companies you use and have been happy with? Thanks in advance!
Pretty much every insurance company is just a brand for 2 main insurers and a handful of smaller players. Suncorp, Alliance, and smaller ones like IAG. Smaller in Australia anyway.

As Captain says get one that allows your own repairer.

Albynsw

Yep one that allows you to choose your own repairer and also check their policy for off-road cover some have exclusions of where you are covered like on a beach etc

CaptainBanana

Insurance companies are there to make money. It is the client’s responsibility to understand what they are paying for. If you CBFd reading the Insurance policy fine print don’t be Surprised when it doesn’t cover what you imagined it would cover, or disappointed when the insurer points out someThing in your policy which makes your claim invalid.
I put myself well and truly in the ‘non fine print reader’ bucket. I can understand that it would create negative feedback.

I am not sure how insurance applies to overseas visitors. Australia does have consumer protections to stop people getting shafted.
This should cover insurance also.

My cars are insured with AAMI. They have been pretty good with the road car. Haven’t made a claim with the Ranger yet.

But when you do make a claim they will send it to Capital smart and your car will come back with dirt in the paint it will be the wrong colour and it will have been painted outside with fast dry clear which will shrink badly.

John U

But when you do make a claim they will send it to Capital smart and your car will come back with dirt in the paint it will be the wrong colour and it will have been painted outside with fast dry clear which will shrink badly.
Went through that. They tried to reuse the old seals. Lesson learnt. Never again.

Lettsy

For what it's worth, I used to work at Shannons and they had decent cover (I am biased though).
Choice of repairer was standard, they covered mods, to a degree they covered river crossings as well (though there was some discussion about that) and had recently introduced roadside assist Australia-wide when I left.

Anyone looking for insurance outside just the norm, I'd strongly suggest reading the PDS as legally the companies have to tell you what is/isnt covered, yes it's a bit dull but if you're not sure you're far better off checking than winging it and finding out later you're not covered for something

Krumpy

ive been with club 4x4 for 4 years and after getting some quotes I definitely won't be going back. Tossing up between shannons and aami

discomatt

ive been with club 4x4 for 4 years and after getting some quotes I definitely won't be going back. Tossing up between shannons and aami
After working in the smash repair game for 13 years I would never ever ever consider AAMI or any other company that trade under them such as pensioner insurance

Albynsw

If you have a preferred panel beater ask them about insurers. You will find the better shops don’t do work for the cheaper insurance companies because they only pay low rates
If an insurance company does does allow you to choose your repairer they are one of those low rate paying companies. That may not worry some, it depends on how much you love your vehicle

Batts88

Never had issues making claims with any insurance company but always been with the bigger one's. I think some people that have issues might expect to much from them at times as just one eg.. AAMI was good when I had a 4wd stolen quite a few yrs ago we've had 3 or 4 claims with RACQ no issue I change to Club 4x4 a couple of yrs ago because they offered a higher insurance value nearld double because they covered my extras where RACQ would't and I was with them for quite a few yrs. Have'nt made a claim with Club 4x4 yet to see what te process is like but hope I never need to either.

LongRoad2Go

Agree with the comments above regarding the ability to choose your own repairer.

Another thing to consider is, the choice to retain the vehicle if it is considered a 'write off'. I have a 'classic' vehicle, so a replacement isn't an option. The same might be said for most 4X4's these days with the current (and ongoing) price hikes, mods, etc.

Albynsw

The better workshops won’t do insurance work for the cheap insurance companies as their pay rates are too low. I was speaking with a BMW accredited shop owner and he said he pays his Spraypainters more an hour than what some insurance companies want to pay him so you can read between the lines to see the level of tradesmen that the cheap shops are using churning out jobs
I always use an insurance company that lets me choose repairer