Australian Media Bias

Warby

Just stumbled on this image on Reddit, thought it was interesting.

Personally, I would put the ABC as very much "leans left," rather than centre, but so be it. Getting sick of the constant left leaning reporting on the ABC is exactly why I went searching (again) for other media options and stumbled on this graphic...

1598339916994.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/8vgokb

discomatt

Staff member
Who put that list together to decide who was high, mixed and poor quality, not that I disagree with any of the locations except maybe the Herald sun, that should be below the bottom of the chart, not even worthy of wiping my back side IMO and I am a bit surprised Sky rated so low but I take most news with a grain of salt.
You only need to watch SBS world news then speak to people in relevant countries to know that is also BS based and they rate highly

Reactions: phs

Warby

Who put that list together to decide who was high, mixed and poor quality, not that I disagree with any of the locations except maybe the Herald sun, that should be below the bottom of the chart, not even worthy of wiping my back side IMO and I am a bit surprised Sky rated so low but I take most news with a grain of salt.
You only need to watch SBS world news then speak to people in relevant countries to know that is also BS based and they rate highly

Yeah... I didnt dig too deeply, but it looks like just some random dude on Reddit with an interest in media. I certainly don't agree with some of what he's put in there.

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Whilst I cant comment on the print media in other States, I didnt disagree with the majority of the chart. I do find that the ABC, with the exception of its news telecast & The Insiders, is very much to the left when it comes to its other current affair type programs, such as 7.30, Q&A etc. Same can be said about Sky; I find the news reasonably well balanced, but other programs such as Alan Jones, Credlin, Bolt & Murray etc are biased towards the right, but I will say all of the 4 mentioned are prepared to give the conservative side of politics a serve from time to time. Same can be said with Melbourne radio; Mitchell & Elliott on 3AW lean towards the right; (Elliott makes it very clear), but both will attack the 'right' from time to time. ABC radio in Melbourne is so far to the left that it is quite frustrating to listen to and the only one I would listen to was a former presenter, Jon Faine whilst leaning to the left, was fairly balanced when interviewing pollies, from both sides of the fence, in my opinion.

Fact is we all have same degree of bias, as does the media. It would be good if some of us and the media could be a little more objective & balanced & give credit when due & also give criticism when required, no matter which side of the fence they sit.

phs

the sun is like a teenagers pictorial

John U

The Drum is center? WHAAAAAAT?

Center of the Communist party maybe.

Q&A has to be whatever is left of partisan left too.

Channel 10 leans to the right. What about Waleed and Cary?

I wonder who put that together - the Greens?
The IPA is a fair way to the right wing lobbyist group. It is heavily influenced (controlled) by it's sponsors Murdoch, Rienhardt, and others who hide their agenda and identity. It has entrenched itself in the LNP, a number of IPA members now sitting as LNP representatives.

Members of the IPA have been regular guests on the Drum.

Who/what do you think is a representative of the centre boobook?

Last edited:

boobook

SNIP

Who/what do you think is a representative of the centre boobook?

Good Question John. Beauty is in the eye of the holder I guess.

I don't think there is such a thing in Australia. The Murdoch media is obviously to the right, the ABC and The Age / SMH to the left, though that does seem to have taken a slight right turn in the least 3 months under 9's ownership. I think they have to be left or right to be controversial and get ratings. Murdoch also swings, depending on who he wants in power at times too.

I'd say SBS is closest, but its focus on international news, feeds form the ABC and widespread use of 3rd party news providers makes it hard to say.

This will shock some, but I think Al Jazeera has the most balanced news. Also Deutsche Welle. Though neither of those focuses on Local events.

mikehzz

The Liberal government wanted to hang the ABC out to dry for being biased, and comissioned an enquiry to investigate it. Unfortunately for them the report came back stating no bias.
This isn't the first review that hasn't found any basis in the notion there's a left leaning bias at the ABC. I refer back to my original comment that your position on the left /right spectrum will determine your opinion on a media outlet's political leaning. You tend to read into things what you want to read into them. From my perspective, I get a bit annoyed with the ABC for being a bit pushy on Aboriginal and LGBT issues and topics, probably because I'm not interested at all in them, neither for nor against.
I think that if you perceive the ABC as left leaning then you are sitting firmly on the right side of the spectrum. Interestingly, my wife who is firmly on the left side of the spectrum, will no longer watch or read the ABC news because she feels the Liberal government has pushed it too far to the right by stacking it with their cronies. People cannot recognise their own inbuilt bias.

boobook

The Liberal government wanted to hang the ABC out to dry for being biased, and comissioned an enquiry to investigate it. Unfortunately for them the report came back stating no bias.
This isn't the first review that hasn't found any basis in the notion there's a left leaning bias at the ABC. I refer back to my original comment that your position on the left /right spectrum will determine your opinion on a media outlet's political leaning. You tend to read into things what you want to read into them. From my perspective, I get a bit annoyed with the ABC for being a bit pushy on Aboriginal and LGBT issues and topics, probably because I'm not interested at all in them, neither for nor against.
I think that if you perceive the ABC as left leaning then you are sitting firmly on the right side of the spectrum. Interestingly, my wife who is firmly on the left side of the spectrum, will no longer watch or read the ABC news because she feels the Liberal government has pushed it too far to the right by stacking it with their cronies. People cannot recognise their own inbuilt bias.

MIke that enquiry was not dealing with political and content neutrality ( left or right). It was solely focussed on competitive neutrality, ie was the ABC and SBS using taxpayer funds to compete unfairly with private media. I believe that it didn't study the political standing of the ABC, and does not make any conclusions or recommendations on that. It's a funding allocation/ market share/ finance document. Take a look at the frames of reference and Executive Summary.

It is unclear unless you read the detail though. After all, it is a public service enquiry.

mikehzz

MIke that enquiry was not dealing with political and content neutrality ( left or right). It was solely focussed on competitive neutrality, ie was the ABC and SBS using taxpayer funds to compete unfairly with private media. I believe that it didn't study the political standing of the ABC, and does not make any conclusions or recommendations on that. It's a funding allocation/ market share/ finance document. Take a look at the frames of reference and Executive Summary.

It is unclear unless you read the detail though. After all, it is a public service enquiry.
Fair enough, wrong report, but there have been a few coming to the same conclusion. I read the ABC news website for one reason only, there are no ads and it loads quickly. I can't stand the sites that have ads popping up and crawling all over the screen.
It's easy to spot biased reporting, there are good guys and bad guys in the story. I find Al Jazeera very good for international news as well.

boobook

This site is global, and seems to be quite neutral and doesn't seem to have an agenda other than documenting bias.

Compare to what it says about the Australian

and The Age

and Fox News

That all seems about right to me and is as blunt or blunter about say Fox.

Here is one for the Conspiracy theorists. This list is like a candy shop for some on this forum. Can't wait for the new "facts" to be posted here

Here's one. On a scale of mild to Quackery it gets full Quackery marks.

They even have a conspiracy scale of mild to tin foil hat. Boy this website will come in handy for checking posts on Earth.

LOL

Last edited: