Australia day weekend Trip. Porepunkah - Dargo to Kevington.

4WDN

4x4 Earth Contributer
Australia day weekend. 23/1 to 26/1 Will stay at Porepunkah on the Friday night (22/1).
We Are Planning on Leaving Porepunkah on Saturday Morning , traverling over to Blue rag, Down Basalt Knob to Talbotville staying Saturday night on the Crooked river.
Sunday will be from Talbotville to Dargo for some lunch and if anyone needs fuel. On then to Billy Goat Bluff Track to have a look at the veiw from the fire tower on the East Pinnacle,
back down billy goat and staying on the Wonnangatta.
On Monday we will be heading along Tea Tree spur, out on the Snake Edwards Tk at Kevington, staying the night in the Pub camp ground on the river.
May go from Jamieson to Merrijig on the Tuesday before heading home if we have not had enough by then. otherwise home from Kevington.
May make some changes depending on the weather.

At this time there are 3 4wds going, There is room for a couple more, so if you have nothing planned for that weekend, why not come along....
There will be alot of river crossings, most no deeper than 300mm (but that can change with rain). There will be steep hill climbs. So only come if you and your car are up to it.
Just reply for more details...... Cheers Paul

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
SOUNDS LIKE A RIPPER TRIP

unfortunately the Bride has organised doing something more to the west.

have a great trip and please remember to do a trip report and pics a very special place

kingo

Sounds like a great trip mate, alot of driving there you will have a ball, ive been on nearly everyone of those tracks bar a couple. Not sure how well you know the area but If you are interested i happen to know the area quit well.
This is a trip i used to do a fair bit.
When you leave the pub head back towards Woods point and at the WP45 sign turn at the river crossing (bains bridge) and go along sappers track. This track brings you out at Jamo it takes about 55mins. Alternatively half way along you can turn right (at the top) this will take up behind Jamo and from there you can get down into the mitchells and go through to the slate mines, shepyard flat, and finialy Merijig pub for a well deserved froffy.;)
Maybe you already know all this, but if you dont maybe give it a go. Let me know if you do;)

P.S. i will be staying at Skipworth reserve at Kevington that weekend,,,my friend is getting Married there in the reserve on the saturday and the bucks party is on top of Mt terrible.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day Paul. would love to do it but as you know we got to be home for that weekend. i did end up doing the South Basalt track yesterday afternoon and of course KT stayed back at camp. it was pretty steep and very loose. may i suggest you do a run up and down to check it. there are two sheer rock faces to traverse and no where to go but off the side of the mountain if something goes wrong.
we are still sitting here at talbotville. the rain set in last night and only in the last hour or so started to clear. weather says to expect snow on blue rag by saturday so we will hang around and do it then. it was good to catch up the other day.

4WDN

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Kingo, all ways good to here other peoples ideas, i get out that way a bit, did it alot on motorbikes, its alot different on 4 wheels.

Hey Mark, good to hear from you, Leave some fruit on those trees. It was good catching up, sorry i could not hang around till you got back, we left about 2.30. hope you had a great day, and good luck with the rest of your trip, sure we will catch up again.

We might see you there Allanmac, Talbotville was so Quiet, early this week, but i am sure it will have alot of campers on the Australia day weekend, eventhough monday is not a PH i am sure alot will not be working, we will only be there over night. I can understand if your there for a few days its good to get in early for a good spot.

kingo

Thanks Kingo, all ways good to here other peoples ideas, i get out that way a bit, did it alot on motorbikes, its alot different on 4 wheels.

Hey Mark, good to hear from you, Leave some fruit on those trees. It was good catching up, sorry i could not hang around till you got back, we left about 2.30. hope you had a great day, and good luck with the rest of your trip, sure we will catch up again.

We might see you there Allanmac, Talbotville was so Quiet, early this week, but i am sure it will have alot of campers on the Australia day weekend, eventhough monday is not a PH i am sure alot will not be working, we will only be there over night. I can understand if your there for a few days its good to get in early for a good spot.

anytime paul cheers