ARB Rated Revovery Points

Stunub

Just to follow up on this, I went on the NSW I-Venture Club day at River Islands last weekend. We had 4wD instructor Dave from Adventure 4wd. Part of the day was to get an Isuzu bogged in some sand and learn how to snatch one out.

With a group of Isuzu reps and a certified instructor they happily hooked up to the factory recovery points and pulled the stuck car out. Someone asked about the factory points, Dave said that they are rated but once in a million they may fail, which is why he used a dampener.

So....the big question....do you need the arb points when the factory ones are good enough. for most cases I would say no. But for me I might just be getting on one on the left hand side, back in 2009 I came off a motor bike and broke my back so my ability to crawl around under a car is a bit limited, having a bright big red point to put my shackle through would help me out a lot if i was stuck on a beach with a rising tide.

Just my two cents.

Stu

Bendman

I think you ask good questions Stu. I have used my factory points for a snatch out of sand and they were good enough on that occasion. However, it was after that I thought I should probably get something that is a little more suited to purpose 'just in case'. Although in my opinion despite them being a superior product (along with a 'superior' price tag), I didn't go with the ARB ones as I felt the cheaper Roadsafe ones were upgrade enough.

MUX STX

We are heading to Rainbow beach in a couple of weeks time for 4 nights.
My son in law is taking his new Colarado so I expect to be snatching him at least once, maybe after I change the the selector from 4wd to 2wd without him knowing of course.
So this morning I went out and bought a recovery hitch and a equalizer strap to spread the load between the the two tow points.
I had a good look on the Mux as well as the Colarado and can't see any problems with using the original points, so I won't be upgrading just yet.
Sure if I was heading into mud bogs that tend to suck you down, then that may be a totally different story.

MUX STX

He has been digging me about how he will be towing me all over the place, so there is a chance I may do the wrong thing and put him in it.

Nothing to serious, just some harmless fun.

Chatty

We are heading to Rainbow beach in a couple of weeks time for 4 nights.
My son in law is taking his new Colarado so I expect to be snatching him at least once, maybe after I change the the selector from 4wd to 2wd without him knowing of course.
So this morning I went out and bought a recovery hitch and a equalizer strap to spread the load between the the two tow points.
I had a good look on the Mux as well as the Colarado and can't see any problems with using the original points, so I won't be upgrading just yet.
Sure if I was heading into mud bogs that tend to suck you down, then that may be a totally different story.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - these "rated" recovery points are so much smoke being blown up your backside. And dollars being sucked out of your wallet!

The simple fact is that they are rated when bolted to a really, really big lump of steel in a test bed and then loaded to destruction (or excessive deformation) and this setup bears absolutely no resemblance to real life. The steel structure they are bolted onto in a test bed is designed to withstand loads in the tens to hundreds of tonnes range - which the chassis of your 4WD is not designed to withstand.

The simple fact is that the structure they are bolted onto on a vehicle is nowhere near as strong as the test bed they are bolted onto for testing - so you will not get anywhere near the "rated" load in a real life situation. Your chassis will fail long before you get anywhere near the "rated" load.

Look at it this way - ARB are claiming a "rated" load of 8t per point - so 16t total for two points. If you had just one "rated" load point connected with 8t pulling on it (that is on just one chassis rail) you don't have to be Einstein to work out that you're going to bend something pretty quickly due to the eccentric loading.
If you have two points connected (to get rid of the eccentric loading) does anyone out there seriously believe that their chassis would cope with a 16t load being applied to it? I can assure you that the front half of the vehicle will part company with the rear half of the vehicle pretty quickly under that sort of load.

MUX STX

The old saying goes with regards bull bars , they are only as strong as what they are bolted to.

Same applies with unrated and rated recovery points.

Who knows what the loads are in any given snatching situation?

Comes down to common sense IMO.

MUX STX

Good Read abw, surely standard recovery points(2) connected with a equalizer strap should do the job easily on all decent built vehicles.
The only problem I have with the article is no one can estimate the amount of force required for the many variants when snatching.
We do have a guide line, so back to my original statement.........................use common sense.
Hey, if your going from one desert to another into the never never then you would take every opportunity to upgrade every thing that is available to you, including aftermarket recovery points.
Just not for around the block type beach drives. IMO

Mud_x

A lot of what if talk. Choice is yours don't like the ARB recovery points don't buy them. Personally looking at the design I think they will do what they say they will and represent fair value when you factor in era search and development. I will be purchasing a pair when they release the bash plates for the MUX.

lurkr

He has been digging me about how he will be towing me all over the place, so there is a chance I may do the wrong thing and put him in it.

Nothing to serious, just some harmless fun.
I want see a photo ! ;) ... nothing wrong with some harmless fun - call it a learning experience - you get to show him how to snatch, and eat humble pie at the same time.

MUX STX

Well said, all harmless fun and he does need some snatch experience. (That does not read well lol)

Ziggy

Isuzu's website says that each MU-X factory point is good for 2000 kg and together 3000 kg.
Robert Pepper says that a snatch of c. 4500 kg is pretty violent. So I'd assume that snatches above 3000 kg strain are well within the bounds of possibility.
The 4WD club that I'm looking to join is very reluctant to have me out there with them with just the factory points so I'll be getting an ARB unit fitted soon.

Chatty

Isuzu's website says that each MU-X factory point is good for 2000 kg and together 3000 kg.
Robert Pepper says that a snatch of c. 4500 kg is pretty violent. So I'd assume that snatches above 3000 kg strain are well within the bounds of possibility.
The 4WD club that I'm looking to join is very reluctant to have me out there with them with just the factory points so I'll be getting an ARB unit fitted soon.
I would tell the club to pull their head in until they know what they are talking about.
You know why there is a 3,000kg combined limit on the recovery points (And not 2 X 2,000 = 4,000 kg)?

Because the manufacturer has worked out that 3,000kg is the limit you can impose on the chassis before you start to damage things. It doesn't matter if you have recovery points rated at some stupid figure like 8,000 kg each - the vehicle itself isn't capable of handling this sort of loading. And in any case you will NEVER get near these sorts of loads in real life.

Have a look at this site where they actually put a load cell into the recovery rig to test ACTUAL REAL LIFE LOADS.http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.c...overy-techniques/snatch-strap-loading-on-test
2 tonne was what they found as a maximum!

I am so over ignorant people insisting on "rated" load points being fitted to vehicles - these points aren't rated on vehicle, they are rated on a test bed and the rated load cannot be achieved on the vehicle!

Ziggy

No mate. It's 3000 cos it's not a straight pull on each point.

And Pepper used a load cell on the snatch whose reading I mentioned. Well over 4 tonnes.

You think ARB are ready for massive damages for selling a point the chassis can't handle?

hiluxdriver

I think the MU guys really need to get something like this ;)

It would be interesting also to know if ARB in fact copied the design first. Who says they pioneered the design? And like someone else said, it's not hard to cut a plate and put some holes in it. I work in a laser profile shop, if anyone wants anything cut let me know. What would be interesting to know is the grade of steel they use. Mild steel or bisalloy even? I was going to pinch another forum members brand spankers Bushskinz bash plates and make some up at work using 4mm bisalloy. It's not hard but I just ran out of time before I bought some myself lol. I might do it when I get back from the cape.