Change background image

Apps for tracking your trails

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by The Reaper, Apr 7, 2018.

1. The Reaper

The Reaper New Member

Hey folks! Had a quick look through the forum topics and couldn't find anything on what Im about to ask, but are there any decent apps out there for iOS that can track your driving the same was Strava can for mountain bikers? Could you even use Strava? I will eventually buy a Hema X1, but in the meantime was just wondering if theres a a decent app for tracking my trails.

Thanks heaps!

2. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

Buy hema for your iPhone/Ipad

The Reaper likes this.
  3. The Reaper

The Reaper New Member

Hi mate and thanks for your reply. Yeh I’m saving for the unit. Now for the iOS version app you suggested, does it still work when there is “No Service” as is often the case when Offroad?

4. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Get the Hema or Memorymap app, you don’t need service for it to work

5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Yes, if you use an iPhone (all models have inbuilt GPS chip) or an iPad with SIM slot (don’t need a SIM inserted though). Apple combine their GPS chip onto their cell chip unlike Android who use seperate chips.
    Tink

6. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

Just remember to download the maps while you have service, after that, as said previously, you don't require service.

7. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

motionx is a decent free app that you can track your trails with

8. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Really Tink?

I don't think so, Until last year Apple used Qualcomm 4G chips which do not include GPS on chip. Apple and Qualcomm are now in the courts and Apple are going to Intel.

As to Android, all combinations can happen, even in the one model. For example a S7 for Korea could be totally different comms chip to the US.

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

So you are agreeing with me boobook?
    Tink

10. boobook

LOL I dunno Tink I don't think so. I think each variant has it's own design, some use an integrated comms gps chip some don't, there is no hard and fast rule

11. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Ah OK, just going by what I had read on the interwebs. I should stop relying on what “experts” post :)
    Tink

12. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

As @Tink means. If your Iphone/ipad takes a sim it will have a build in gps. As for android, almost all except the lower cheaper models have a built in gps.

Tink likes this.
  13. boobook

Ha Ha

Well I must admit, I have never actually designed a phone, and if I did it would have to be a very crappy one, I just have a bit to do with Qualcomm.

I did make a variation of this with my kid for something to do as part of a school project. Though Sadly it doesn't work since Telstra stopped their GSM service.

https://learn.adafruit.com/arduin-o-phone-arduino-powered-diy-cellphone/overview

The apple IPad GPS thing is purely a marketing / product positioning decision. Nothing to do with integrated chips or technology.

14. shame dysart

shame dysart Active Member

This is what i use on android and think is great not sure if its on apple but worth a look.
    It has a pay and free version's too Screenshot_2018-04-07-21-40-36.png

15. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

That is a great app, @Shame I like the maps, however even after downloading maps a highest level both my devices with 3gb of ram fail to load a lot of map tiles and presents a patchy screen .