Anyone using OBD-II data?

Patriot

Administrator
Hi all,

Does anyone have much experience with using the OBD-II connector that is in most new vehicles? We want to grab performance data in real time and monitor speed, RPM and fuel consumption while 4 wheeling.

We are looking for somewhere that has a universal OBD-II to USB connecter and maybe some software to monitor it, although we will probably write our own, just for the fun of it :)

Any help on where to buy connectors and what info we can pull out would be much appreciated. Lastly, how universal is OBD-II, does it work across all makes that support the standard?

Thanks

James

centaur

Hi all,

Does anyone have much experience with using the OBD-II connector that is in most new vehicles? We want to grab performance data in real time and monitor speed, RPM and fuel consumption while 4 wheeling.

We are looking for somewhere that has a universal OBD-II to USB connecter and maybe some software to monitor it, although we will probably write our own, just for the fun of it :)

Any help on where to buy connectors and what info we can pull out would be much appreciated. Lastly, how universal is OBD-II, does it work across all makes that support the standard?

Thanks

James

Patriot, tried looking on Ebay!!! ;);)

Just a quick search got this one with some trial software.

OBD II ELM327 USB CAN-BUS Tool Interface Scanner U327

Processor: ELM327 USB
OBD-II Protocols: ISO15765-4 (CAN);
ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)
ISO9141-2
J1850 VPW
J1850 PWM
Output protocol: RS232
Baud rate: 9600 or 38400
Indicator LEDs: OBD Tx/Rx, RS232 Tx/Rx, Power
Operating voltage: 12V, internal protection from short circuits/overvoltages
Nominal idle current: 45 mA
Description:
OBD-II Software for ELM327 USB is a free program that allows you to use your PC and a hardware interface to get the information from your car's computer.
The program is very user-friendly, and easy to learn. It is also very easy to install: simply extract the files into a folder on your computer's hard drive, and you're ready to go. To uninstall the program, simply delete the entire contents of the folder where the program resides.
The software supports two platforms - DOS and Windows.
Features:
The program lets you perform the following operations:
Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
Display current sensor data, including:
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Fuel System Status
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure
Many others...
Upcoming Features:
Data graphing and logging
Freeze Frame data
Continuous and Non-Continuous Oxygen Sensor test results
Free software:
Scantool.net
GM Mode 22 Scan Tool by Terry
OBD Gauge for PalmOS and Pocket PC by Dana Peters
OBD Logger by Jonathan Senkerik
OBD-II ScanMaster by Wladimir Gurskij (ScanMaster 3.52 - local copy)
obd2crazy.com
OBD2 Scantool by Ivan Andrewjeski
OBDII for ELM322 by David Huffman
pyOBD by Donour Sizemore for MacOSX and Linux
RDDTC by Pete Calinski
Real Scan by Brent Harris
ScanTest for Pocket PC by Ivan Ganev aka a-ser
wOBD by WDT

Just a thought..... :rolleyes:

4X4

What is OBD-II?

What is OBD-II?

On-Board Diagnostic systems are in most cars and light trucks on the road today. During the '70s and early 1980's manufacturers started using electronic means to control engine functions and diagnose engine problems. This was primarily to meet EPA emission standards. Through the years on-board diagnostic systems have become more sophisticated. OBD-II, a new standard introduced in the mid-'90s, provides almost complete engine control and also monitors parts of the chassis, body and accessory devices, as well as the diagnostic control network of the car.

Albynsw

Jumping on an old thread
What is the go these days is Scanguage the go to still or are there better options?

sharkcaver

Jumping on an old thread
What is the go these days is Scanguage the go to still or are there better options?
Personally I prefer ultra gauge. Multi parameters on the one screen.

Attachments

• 20200128_193156.jpg
    20200128_193156.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48

Albynsw

Personally I prefer ultra gauge. Multi parameters on the one screen.

I had one of those and agree they are nicer to read but I couldn’t get it to give me fuel figures on my 79 don’t know if it is the unit or user error but I thought I had it all setup correctly

sharkcaver

I had one of those and agree they are nicer to read but I couldn’t get it to give me fuel figures on my 79 don’t know if it is the unit or user error but I thought I had it all setup correctly
I use the fuel function in the D-Max, but not in the Paj. Personally, I find it a bit iffy. If I calibrate it for highway use, its not real accurate off road. Then as time goes on, it looses its accuracy for both and I have to start the calibration process again.

Not sure why it wouldn't work on the 79. It should auto detect all the obdII parameters the gauge can read. I would have thought even on the 79, fuel flow would be a measured parameter??

Note, the pic above was when I first fired it up, hence the imperial measurements. I also don't run those gauges on my pages.

Albynsw

I use the fuel function in the D-Max, but not in the Paj. Personally, I find it a bit iffy. If I calibrate it for highway use, its not real accurate off road. Then as time goes on, it looses its accuracy for both and I have to start the calibration process again.

Not sure why it wouldn't work on the 79. It should auto detect all the obdII parameters the gauge can read. I would have thought even on the 79, fuel flow would be a measured parameter??

Note, the pic above was when I first fired it up, hence the imperial measurements. I also don't run those gauges on my pages.

The 79 isn’t real fancy, you dip a stick in the tank to see how much fuel you have ;). The scanguage seems to calibrate fuel use on the 70 but I have read others having the same issue I was having with the ultra gauge on LCOOL but they are probably doing something wrong like me because I don’t know why the two products would be different otherwise, they are collecting the same data
I will dig my Ultra Gauge up in the shed and have another go

a1bert

Ultra gauge appears nicer to look at but i think my Scan gauge gives more info
A good site re both is Ranger Mods where they have dedicated posts on them