Change background image

Anyone looking for a Mitsibenty

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Albynsw, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

C8DB40EB-511A-44FF-A8AF-11E0107BBCF5.jpeg found this pic on another forum :eek:

wardss, LCV8VICTORIA, Swaggie and 5 others like this.
  2. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

They're not tilta-beds to help oldies get out of bed, like the chairs?

3. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

Another post bagging out airbags , bugger me dead. lol

4. Muddled

Muddled Member

Steelies on the back, shiny up front, reminds me of the vl commodores back home.

80lover96gxl and Spooner like this.
  5. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Who mentioned airbags????

6. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Surely some tek screws, insulation tape and cable ties would have them on the road in no time:)

7. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

8. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I remember seeing one of these up in Shark Bay, at the end of a fairly rough 2 hour 4WD track. I almost couldn't believe my eyes; you are asking for trouble from the get go with the way they are set up. I wonder what all that weighs empty, let alone loaded. I bet it is over the maximum rear axle weight.

Triton's and Navara's seem to be the most commonly bent vehicles, but I have seen everything from 70 series cruisers to rangers and beyond.

Aaron

9. Muddled

Muddled Member

Since moving to the city, bent tradie Utes are a common sight, and no wonder with the loads and tow setups.

All Utes improperly loaded will generally suffer eventually. The old tritons faired worst because the rear axle is in an average at best spot. The new triton(my own model) has a strengthened chassis around that area, it’ll still bend if you push it though.

Pack cleverly and lightly and you’ll likely avoid all these problems.

The wreckers across from my work gets bent Utes daily. Rangers and hiluxes are the most common (they are the most bought Utes as well).

10. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder if that is a deliberate design feature, like a fusible link to stop overloading . . .

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I sort of wonder why they bother fitting snorkels to them , or are they just a non connected bolt on to make it look better :D

Bomber2012 likes this.
  12. muc the truck

come on lol everyone knows air bags bend chassis its all over every 4x4 forum so it must be true . It was a joke . LOL means laugh out loud .

Albynsw and Bomber2012 like this.
  13. muc the truck

14. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Backpacker in a foreign country renting a 4wd.............no f##ks given , drive it like you stole it. :)

Jaye and muc the truck like this.
  15. hiluxdriver

Found this one parked at Hells Gate on the Savanah Way.
    It happened when he hit a washout on the road about 30cm across by 30 cm deep - I know because I smashed it too. Says he hit it at 40kmphr with around 250kg on the ball - all same as me except I didn't break anything. Poor bugger loses all his accessories he can't take off and all the time and money in setting it up how he wants it. 20180421_162807.jpg

16. discomatt

Poor bugger, I think I would be getting some chains, jacks, steel plates, drills, bolts and a welder and botching it up to limp her home

17. hiluxdriver

He was the nicest bloke. He and his wife had just left Brissy for round Australia trip. Didn't even make it out of the state. Swore he would never buy another Mitsubishi again.
    Pay attention @Mitsubishi Australia as this affects you.
    I won't buy another one either but for a different reason.

Airstrike likes this.
  18. discomatt

You can hardly blame Bitsamissing, everyone has a choice on what car they buy and everyone knows that modern utes have chassis that are barely capable of dealing with the loads and conditions that manufacturers advertise they are built for. It is well documented all over the web...
    I steered well clear of the commercial ute category when choosing the next car for this very reason but it is near impossible to find any car that ticks all the boxes.
    I hope he had good insurance cover

Spooner likes this.
  19. hiluxdriver

His van had $5000 recovery that he paid to a local trucky to take it to Roma. He has to sort it out from there. I told him for 5k I'd take it and park it in his driveway but the deal was already done

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  20. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I can't say I completely agree with that. Yep, there are lots of bent 'commercial utes' around, but they are also one of the most popular vehicles out there, and there are probably 100 x that have not bent.

I've never seen a chassis bent where it wasn't either overloaded, incorrectly loaded or involved in an accident with a wash out/dune/lump of some sort.

You'll find bent chassis of every make and model ute online if you look hard enough.

If people understand the weight they are putting on their vehicles, keep it legal and don't have any bad mishaps off road they are unlikely to suffer a bent chassis.

That said, I am distinctly aware of the fact that you do start behind the 8 ball with a dual cab, purely because of the overhang on the rear, and that some brands/models are less strong.

Aaron