Change background image

Anyone done Regularity Raids?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Zamunda, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Well-Known Member

Anyone here done 4x4 Regularity raids?

I used to get involved in organising a lot of these when I with the 4x4 club back in Africa. Maybe something we can look at for the annual SA meet.

2. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

didn't they just do that on the goldcoast

WildtrakRudy likes this.
  3. Zamunda

:D
    My version is more of an off-road competition. No coppers involved :)

4. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Once again, proof emerges that I do not know everything. I know 4x4, I know what regularity means, and I know what a raid is......put them all together and I'm drawing a blank. :)

5. Zamunda

@mikehzz @itlldoo

A “regularity raid” is a fun event combining off-road skills and navigation. The route is pre-planned by organisers and contestants have to find a series of waypoints, answer questions/riddles, other fun challenges like changing a tyre, etc. All this done in off-road conditions.

Reasonable time to get to each point is pre-determined by those organising the route. Penalty points are earned for arriving early or late at each point. Competitors are also penalised for speeding. Exceed the cut-off time by a big margin and you could be disqualified.

To avoid competitors following one another and simply tagging along each vehicle (or group of vehicles) departs the start point at time intervals.

At the end of the event the participant with the least penalty points wins. We can all pool some money and buy a prize for the winner and the losers have to buy beers for everyone else :D

I am happy to get involved in the organising if there is a good enough interest.

cam04, WildtrakRudy and callmejoe like this.
  6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Cool....can we pick other fun activities other than changing a tyre?

7. Outrage

Outrage 4x4 Earth Contributer

'Nav run' (Navigation run/challenge) is common name used for such a thing. Admit I've never heard regularity raid before either. The Vic gathering runs a casual version of this, some years it's been a clue/question sheet, which will send you around the area, team with the best score (correct answers etc) wins. Other years it's been a geocaching challenge, navigate to coordinates and find a hidden object, name what it is on the answer sheet.

Zamunda likes this.
  8. Zamunda

absolutely.

9. Zamunda

I am sure it gets done under different names. Rag Raid is what we used to call it back in Africa. It is heap of fun. Some clubs used to get all very serious and make it into a very formal (and a highly competitive) event. I always liked to keep it challenging yet fun for the whole family. Not hardcore. Usually over two days. So on day 1 evening camp everyone gets chat around the campfire about the day, re-group, strategies and have a go the next day to regain positions. We even managed to get a few sponsors involved.

cam04 likes this.
  10. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

This sounds like an awesome idea, and if it's not a thing here, then it should be!

Zamunda likes this.
  11. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Local football club used to run a nav run once a year to raise some funds, lots of questions to answer on different locations and specific items with some items having to be collected or purchased. Very good fun, usually ending with a bbq and drinks somewhere nice.

12. WildtrakRudy

WildtrakRudy Active Member

LOL

13. Neddysmith

Neddysmith Active Member

14. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

We had one as the start of a work Christmas party one year. Was great fun.

15. Zamunda

Maybe we can do it during the SA meet. Happy to get involved.