Any licenced amateur operators here?

Dernel

Gday,

Derek VK2YN..enjoy portable operation using various antennas, playing around now with Squid pole 7mm long..using VK7JJ design....

Be interested how many licenced vk's or otherwise here and what you operate either mobile or portable..

This end run an IC7000 when portable

regards,

Derek VK2YN

Tony M

Hi Derek. Tony VK3CAT here.
In the 80 series I use a Codan 8528 with options A & M fitted. I use the 9350 auto tune antenna & improve efficiency with a now 6 meter squid pole (started life being longer). Simply connect a wire via an alligator clip to the steel whip or spring & support the end on the squid pole. This is good for 30 & 40 metres plus VKS737 5455 & 8022kHz. For 80 metres I just extend the wire in an inverted L format. Also run a Yaesu FT1500M 2 metre box. Other comms equipment are 2 x Electrophone TX4000 & a TX835.
I run a 706IIG in the work van. Haven't taken it out for portable operations for some time.When I have done so, it was for VHF / UHF DX and field day work - 3 element yagi on 6 metres & 13 elements on 2 & 70. Best mobile contacts from near Mt. Dandenong to near Hawker (Mt. Brown) on 2 metres using a halo antenna & Mexico on 6 metres with a 1/4 wave.
One xmas, when looking for something to do, I experimented with a centre fed and end fed Zepp design using open wire feeders with Eucalypyt & bread tie spreaders. Worked OK. glad no TVs around on the Snowy River.
Cheers, Tony.

mr challenger

licenced amateur operator

Hi Derek Carlo here vk2tci i run an icom 706mk2g & ft7800 2m opek hvt-400 multiband for hf DIAMOND SG-7700 for 2m when i go bush i use a end fed dipole cut for 80m with a z100 tuner

Dernel

Thanks guys,

Good to see a couple of us here...
Operated portable from Wombeyan Caves campground over the weekend..varying results..squid poles worked a treat at holding end fed dipole up..

Some more work to do on the squid pole antenna..fine tuning to come..

cheers,

derek VK2YN

gdog

Thanks guys,

Good to see a couple of us here...
Operated portable from Wombeyan Caves campground over the weekend..varying results..squid poles worked a treat at holding end fed dipole up..

Some more work to do on the squid pole antenna..fine tuning to come..

cheers,

derek VK2YN

What is a squid pole? (did you take a pic at all?)

I was surprised more didn't "click" in on this. - Makes me ask myself the question again. Is it worth getting a Am Rad Lic and purchasing a decent unit? - Or is this a dying field?

Tony M

What is a squid pole?

See here cPanel®
It is known as a giant squid pole - a telescoping carbon fibre or fiberglass tube tha extends to between 6 and 9 metres. It is used for catching squid (not giant ones) and for supporting wire antennas.
As for being a dying hobby, it depends what you want to get out of it. There is the traditional HF use for local communications plus long distance communications on HF, VHF & UHF. I am more active on the six metre band than HF. There is also a myriad of digital communications to play around with. Would I get licensed just for HF communications whilst touring? Probably not, unless I had a further interest in the communications field.
Cheers, Tony VK3CAT

Dernel

google VK7JJ and you will find a squid pole antenna for amateur radio HF bands.

basically a 7m or 10m telescopic pole which can be used to support or act as an antenna with a little thought...

Dying..as Tony said..depends what you want out of it..i have had a radio hobby since early dorkboy teenage years, and use lots of different modes and frequencies for communication.

google wia wireless institute of australia for more info..good hobby..

eLuke455

One-more. VK3EM. Have not played radio for 8 years but kept call and decided it was time to have one in the Prado before I go 4x4 trekking...Probably will go with the IC-208H and ignore the intermod's in town....Kinda wished I didn't sell the FT-8100 all those years ago...

Luke

VK2US

Probably will go with the IC-208H and ignore the intermod's in town....
G'Day Luke....

Sure you couldn't be tempted to grab an IC-706 MKIIG for the 4X4? Lets face it out of town there a no intermods and few repeaters. If you're only going to install one radio you could do a lot worse than a remote head 706. and it won't look to out of place in the Prado.

Regards & 73's

eLuke455

G'Day Luke....

Sure you couldn't be tempted to grab an IC-706 MKIIG for the 4X4? Lets face it out of town there a no intermods and few repeaters. If you're only going to install one radio you could do a lot worse than a remote head 706. and it won't look to out of place in the Prado.

Regards & 73's

Funny you mention that! I did own a 706 Mk IIG and sold it - awesome rig. It is tempting, but I made the decision some years ago not to continue with the hobby.

To be honest, I was about to buy a UHF-CB (that's all I really need) but the 208H will do 2m, 70cm and the other one...

Cheers
Luke

VK2US

To be honest, I was about to buy a UHF-CB (that's all I really need) but the 208H will do 2m, 70cm and the other one...
Luke....

Agreed if all you'll be donig is close to home trips and traveling with a group then I'd agree.

For further afield HF is a must. I lost a wheel bearing, well not all of it, out west and had to resort to HF as the Satphone we had was unable to logon to the netwrk. So as a fall back its worth it.

Regards & 73's

VK2US

G'Day John....

So by virtue of the fact that your posting here mean you looking at getting a 4X4 for a little more remote operation?

Sadly with the amount of noise in our area mobile / portable is about the only time I get to play HF. Less since the Patrol started spending all it’s time in workshops.

Regards & 73's

TroopiePete

Just noticed this thread,

Yep Running HF, VHF and UHF in my Troopy including a Codan auto tune antenna for the HF.

For the past 10 years or so I seem to only get active while driving and often this is on longer trips out west and I have been active on the VK Travellers net during them, not as many people on this as the VKS737 net but still good to access.
I also have the VKS737 Frequencies programmed in the memories so I can listen in on things such as the floods during the Birdsville races last year while we were travelling through the Simpson Desert.

The most active I have been for ages has been during two Horse Endurance rides that I worked on, operating checkpoints, i love doing this sort of stuff and it's a good way to show others how we can communicate when other Radios do not get through.

73's
VK4FSD

Mr T

G'day all.

My call is VK4KX, I have my gear with me in my Patrol and use a Codan 9323 with a Codan 9350 autotune antenna but switch between the IC-706 MkII G on the same antenna as well, the second 9350 had water in it and needs a new main board.
I Sometimes use a squid pole but the 9350 is so good I can even work DX with it on 40m, 20m, and sometimes on 75m.
If I want to use the TS-480HX or the Amp to work with more power though I use a vertical with radials or dipole antennas as the Codan antenna is only rated to 100 watts (+ -)

I Just got back from the Simpson desert crossing West to East followed then by the Hay River track South to North.
8th to 28th August.

I forgot to mention that I also have 2m and 70cm as well as the UHF cb's in the Patrol and I beacon on 2m only at the moment but will fix the Tiny-tracker to do HF beacons on the IC-706 sometime soon, it's a Gunna-do job. :D

Cheers
73 de VK4KX, Bernie.
Mr T

Last edited:

VK2US

G’Day Bernie….

Like you I have the 706 MKIIG in the Patrol, if only the Patrol was as good as the radio, running with an AH-4 on the rear.

I do beacon on 2 metres and had considered HF but passed on that when I bought a SPOT and built an app to convert it from SPOT to APRS. End result I keep the HF for talking.

Off to Broome on the 17th for some travels in a rental, SPOT is a lot easier to carry, so I’ll only have handhelds.

Regards & 73’s

TroopiePete

It seems that both this sport/hobbie attracts good people like us Hams!

Good to see so many active people on the net and also on the air!
I have been active for the past few weeks while travelling central QLD.

Have been checking into the VK Travellers net on 20, and occasionally calling in on the Coral Coast net on 40 - seems the only time I ma on is while mobile these days!