Another Recovery Gone Wrong!!

Gunna

Thanks Watt
It's very tragic when these things occur,an accident like this could have been avoided simply be using common sense instead of the she'll be right attitude that a lot of us seem to have.

centaur

Thanks Watt
It's very tragic when these things occur,an accident like this could have been avoided simply be using common sense instead of the she'll be right attitude that a lot of us seem to have.

This is where 4x4 training comes into its own. But, you would have thought that with a few people around, someone should have known better. But, experience can sometimes be hard to come by, and they have learnt the hard way. It is a shame, but just goes to show how fast things can go wrong, and how dangerous this pass time can be.

Our thoughts go to his family and friends.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Sad when it happens. A tow ball hit him. Recoveries are a dangerous thing and need are much care as possible

Yota

Recoverys

People badly underestimate the loads involved in revcovering a vehicle. On some of the older Tug boats my company uses, we were using 75 mm diam Polyprop multi plait as the main towline until that stuff was banned by the Maritime Safety Authority. Max safe working load with that stuff was about 75 tonne but at anything over 45 tonne you could se the phydical diameter of it getting smaller. That stuff would stretch up to 35% its original length before it broke, then lookout when it did. We had one water tight door ripped off its hinges by a broken polyprop towline. These days with the advent of new tugboats we are using 100mm spectra based products which very rarely break and when they do the line hardly whips back at all. before we used the polyprop we were using wire and that was even worse than the synthetic lines. Proper training in vehicle recovery and getting people to keep well clear of winch and tow lines will help keep people safe.

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
My sincere condolences to the family of the young lad.

Far too young

Poolman84

Sad story, do feel for the family. Like you've all mentioned basic training, maybe it should be briefly covered in L plate theory or something, I have had to pull cars out too!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Apparantly, the the pintle was welded into the receiver!! Not very well obviously. The whole lot came apart and straight through the winscreen. Not good at all.

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Call me a cynic, or old, or both, but 3AM in the morning ??? Anyway, a tragic end to a footy trip away.

Artie

Yes very sad story , my thoughts go out to his family . Its an all to common problem . Lecruiser & myself came across two young guys doing exactly the same out at the Glass House Mts a while ago . We stopped them & showed the the right way to do it . They very much appreciated the advice. I can only hope they pass it on to there mates etc etc . Definately a need for more training for the inexperienced . These sort of accidents have to stop .

kyleb

What a tragic end to a young life. I don't get the time to do a lot of offroading, but most times I have been out, I have seen someone doing something that really makes me wonder.
I've seen people use a tie-down strap to try and recover a vehicle that is bogged to both axels.
Most of us have probably seen some of the poorer examples of vehicle recovery that some how are allowed on to the 4wd Action DVDs (Such as the recovery of Roothy's vehicle on his last Tassie trip)
I was up at Lake Eildon recently and recovered a falcon that some guys had put in to two decent ruts. The only point I could recover from was the towball. I wasn't expecting to have to do anything other than fish that day, so I did not have anything with me to remove their towball. I had no idea how secure the towbar was or how stressed it may have been in the past, so there was no way i was snatching them. Instead I slowly winched them out making sure everyone, including myself, was well clear (a wireless control for the winch really helps to get some distance)
In Qld last year a legislation was passed that made it mandatory that product and safety information must be supplied with all Snatch Straps. I think this is an excellent move and all states should follow suite. If only half the people read it, its better than nothing.
Here is a link to the guidelines for those interested
https://www.juststraps.com.au/pdf/Snatch%20Straps%20Industry%20Guidelines%20Final%20March%2008%20Amended%20pdf.pdf

My thoughts go out to his family and to all those who where there to witness this tragic incident

BILLBY

sad story

but isnt there a tow hitch that fits over the towball advertises as the only [approved] quikhitch that fits towballs ,I cringed looking at the ad and this will happen again

Bytemrk

But, you would have thought that with a few people around, someone should have known better.

Unfortunately some people don't want to be told.... Last time I saw some guys using a tow ball for a recovery - I tried to point out how dangerous it was. All I got was a mouth full of expletives, an uneducated assessment of my recovery skills and told to F off :mad:

Very sad outcome in this case.... it seems to happen far too often.

Mark

phs

its very sad to hear this, and its a shame people out there are still doing recovery so dangerously.

in the last few weeks iv seen a few videos of stupid recovery and most where so lucky that objects didnt smash through the windscreen...

and as said above, people dont want to hear there donig it very stupidly, they get all big in there boots about it.

so sad to hear this happened.

crushaah

Apparantly, the the pintle was welded into the receiver!! Not very well obviously. The whole lot came apart and straight through the winscreen. Not good at all.
Yeah it wasn't the tow ball that broke, it was the tongue and the sleeve as well which broke away from the reciever that all went flying. Other reports say it narrowly missed the driver of the recovery vehicle before hitting the passenger in the back seat. Apparently it all kept going through the back window as well taking the whole snatch strap out with it too.

:eek:

teza h

Yes very sad. If you go into general 4x4 discusstion,this site, and click on (recoveries) in the very first post you will finde a link with every thing you need to know about recoveries. It's a big read with pics, You may be supprised at what you lern.