Another one that makes me scratch my head

Rusty Panels

I don't recall seeing any factory made boat trailer that doesn't have a substantial safety chain mounted on the winch post and a shackle attaching the chain to the towing eyelet on the bow. This is in addition to the winch rope that also clamps the bow firmly into the guide. As well as that you have the strap across the rear and in some cases chains on the rear to the stern towing points too. I think someone is either lying about the boat slipping on the trailer in an effort to save embarrassment or they have neglected to secure it properly in which case they would have lost the thing way earlier than they did.
I don't know how big the boat was but it has a stern drive and presumably an large inboard engine so may be bigger than it appears. That being the case it would more than likely have electric brakes.
Whatever the cause, I am certain the 2 main ingredients are that he is a total Knobhead and that he probably hails from Canberra.

smitty_r51

Whatever the cause, I am certain the 2 main ingredients are that he is a total Knobhead and that he probably hails from Canberra.
we do seem to have the worst drivers in the world, i see more near misses and idiotic decisions here than i ever have driving London, Paris, Rome or Barcelona

boobook

i see more near misses and idiotic decisions here than i ever have driving London,

I lived in London for a couple of years. IMHO, the drivers are courteous, responsible, and much better than here. People give way to each other, allow you into the main street from side streets. If people in London had the attitude that we have, the traffic would be at a total standstill and accidents everywhere.

The other thing I liked was that you could overtake a police car doing 80mph on an open motorway with a 60 speed limit if the traffic was light and you were doing it safely. But speed in local street and they will give you a massive fine.

I'm going with Australians being near the worst drivers in the world. The traffic in most of Asia is awful, and it is first in, first serve when merging but she's, the drivers know the boundaries of their vehicle within cm's. You rarely see a crash.

Toddyh

I'm going with Australians being near the worst drivers in the world. The traffic in most of Asia is awful, and it is first in, first serve when merging but she's, the drivers know the boundaries of their vehicle within cm's. You rarely see a crash.

Couldn't disagree with this more. Saw dozens of crashes in a 4 week trip and was involved in a minor one myself (taxi - I wasn't driving). I sure at least one of them was a fatality too. I reckon if you looked up the stats it would be fairly obvious there's a lot of crashes over there.

I've driven a car in Peru and Chile too. Peru is the wild west. Wouldn't do it again. Chile was heaps better but still scary at times.

Bigfish1

Couldn't disagree with this more. Saw dozens of crashes in a 4 week trip and was involved in a minor one myself (taxi - I wasn't driving). I sure at least one of them was a fatality too. I reckon if you looked up the stats it would be fairly obvious there's a lot of crashes over there.

I've driven a car in Peru and Chile too. Peru is the wild west. Wouldn't do it again. Chile was heaps better but still scary at times.

Australia is one of the best countries in the world with low death rates for head of population. Africa definitely the worst.

mikehzz

If we're comparing countries with a similar standard of living, road system and rules to Australia, then I'd have to have to agree with @boobook. Every time I've driven overseas in such countries, I come back with an unfavourable impression of drivers in Australia. However, the rest of the world where you can struggle to even find a toilet, it's a crazy madhouse.

Albynsw

I have found that drivers in parts of Europe and Asia are much more fluid than here. They have a fluid organised kaos going on whereas we are much more rigid with our driving style

mikehzz

I have found that drivers in parts of Europe and Asia are much more fluid than here. They have a fluid organised kaos going on whereas we are much more rigid with our driving style
And we have more ego happening like there's a secret race on that has to be won. Organised chaos perfectly describes Italy and Greece. Although first night in Paris, we had to jump off a pedestrian crossing because two midget cars were screaming along side by side down the street with people swinging what looked like baseball bats out the windows at each of the cars. :)

Albynsw

And we have more ego happening like there's a secret race on that has to be won. Organised chaos perfectly describes Italy and Greece. Although first night in Paris, we had to jump off a pedestrian crossing because two midget cars were screaming along side by side down the street with people swinging what looked like baseball bats out the windows at each of the cars. :)

I have experienced Greek and Turkish roads. I remember getting to Crete by boat around midnight and hiring a car to drive to the other end of the island. The bloke at the car hire made me sit and drink four rounds of Raki before he gave me the hire car :oops:
Probably helped me drive like them :)

Bomber2012

Your perception of driving behaviour depends on where you live in Australia in my opinion , if you’re a city dweller (particularly western suburbs) , your putting up with impatient drivers that have learnt aggro driving skills .
Take yourself 2 hrs out of the main centres where there is no traffic and driving behaviour changes , except for old mate with the boat who is impatient and found out quickly he wasn’t in the burbs anymore .

FrankP

once apon a time . . . 90klm/h was the maximum speed you could do towing, now it seems to be as fast as you think it is safe for your car to do,

Scary thing to have caravans, trailers with Dingo's on them, and boats pass you by on the freeway while you are sitting on 115klm/h

From the NSW Road Rules :

(2) However, if the number on the speed limit sign is over 100 and the driver is driving a vehicle with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes or a vehicle and trailer combination with a GCM over 4.5 tonnes, the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road is 100 kilometres per hour.

So if you're in a typical 4WD with a GCM of over 4500kg (most are, eg Ranger/BT50, 6000kg) and you're towing ANYTHING, your limit is the posted limit or 100, whichever is the lesser.

(The driver's handbook handed out at Service NSW and on line does not know about this, though I've told them and been acknowledged as being correct. It says there is no specific limit for vehicles that are towing, just the posted limit.)

Note that GCM is not your combination weight on the day, it is the stated max by the manufacturer.

Here's an odd thing:
A Ranger towing an empty box trailer is captured by the rule.
A Corolla towing a loaded box trailer is not.

Which is the safer combination? It's not the second, that's for sure.

callmejoe

From the NSW Road Rules :
So if you're in a typical 4WD with a GCM of over 4500kg (most are, eg Ranger/BT50, 6000kg) and you're towing ANYTHING, your limit is the posted limit or 100, whichever is the lesser.

I think you may have mis interpreted that.

It states.
(2) However, if the number on the speed limit sign is over 100 and the driver is driving a vehicle with a GVM over 4.5 (which is a light truck lic regardless)tonnes or a vehicle and trailer combination with a GCM over 4.5 tonnes, the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road is 100 kilometres per hour.
I does say "vehicle and trailer combination", meaning that IF you are towing with a trailer and OVER the GCM of 4.5 you have speed limitations. NOT any trailer.

So if driving a Rangeror BT at 3t, plus towing your speed boat @1.4t total weight of 4.4t you can cruise on the posted limit (max of 110km per hr IN NSW)

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
My fellow 4wd'ers,
I do believe South Australians are the absolute worst and rudest pricks on the road,

Indicating infers that you want to pull into a lane that the person in said lane doesn't want to be stuck behind you, so speeds up.

Leaving a 2 second gap is an open invitation to pull in front of you, then brake to create a gap with the car now in front of them.

People pulling out of side streets at full noise expecting you will be able to brake and / or swerve to miss them.

Coppers here do not give you any leeway on speeding with opportunistic speed cameras it is an open cheque book for them and you have no proof either way, at least in other states you can appeal - not here.

I could go on but I think you get the idea, driving in other states is a welcome reprieve from South Australian behavior.

cheers

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Are you sure you can't appeal fines
Yep, has to be absolute extenuating circumstances, unlike Vic. whereby you can write in, admit the offence but they will take into account your driving history, here in SA even if the copper can see that you were going downhill on a bend they would prefer you to watch your speedo than the trees either side of the road, and they wonder why there are so many accidents in the country particularly with trees.