Another one bites the dust.

Albynsw

I personally think it is bad for NSW, the last thing we need is instability in these times
I thought she was a good communicator with the people and can’t imagine her replacement will be any better

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Don't let the door hit you on the way out ;)

They all have to leave to secure their lifetime pensions right.
Get the sack & they'll lose it?
Not exactly correct, unless NSW is different to every other state in the country; which I doubt very much.

I personally think it is bad for NSW, the last thing we need is instability in these times
I thought she was a good communicator with the people and can’t imagine her replacement will be any better
Totally agree. Whilst not a NSW person, she comes across as one of the more 'transparent' politicians in the country, but am sure there will be many from NSW who will disagree. Everyone loves to bag politicians and when he/she, doesnt matter which side, make a mistake or bad judgement call, the media vultures and many others are quickly ready to put the knife in. Yes, there are many pollies who shouldnt be in the job, as for some it was a easy ride through 'jobs for the boys', whether that be via unions, factions or big business. By the same token, there are many who work very hard, put in extremely long hours and genuinely try to do the best for their state/country, but do get caught up with 'party policy', whether they agree or not.

I thought the resignation speech by Gladys was very dignified, but I guess she may have something to answer for as 'when there is smoke, there is fire'. Am not up to date with all that happened with her ex MP boyfriend that has caused her to resign, but hope it doesnt turn out to be another farce, like what happened to Barry O'Farrell over a bottle of bloody wine. When she does eventually have to face the inquiry or whatever they call it, I hope she doesnt follow the same path as some other pollies by saying; "I dont recall" or "Dont remember" etc. If she does go down that road, my current opinion of her will no doubt change.

In the end, this may all be a 'blessing in disguise' for her. As some here will know, I do have some idea with working with politicians and am sure her path will go down a similar road as many of the ex Premiers in Victoria. That will be get a job on various boards or work part time for other organizations and earn shitloads of money without all the stress and drama of trying to run a state. I wish her well.

Last edited:

Hoyks

I thought it was interesting that she got amnesia when she fronted ICAC a while back. Walked out declaring that she had done nothing wrong and the papers were all about how she was so brave. It wasn't her fault she has poor choice in men.

Fast forward a few months and now ICAC announces that they are looking into some of her decisions and allocation of funds as minister. No grand standing and declaring her 100% confidence in her decisions and that ICAC will clear her, nope, quits her job and parliament.
Nothing suss going on there.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
She claims she was above board, has inegrity, honesty which will be proven eventually and then resigns.
So gets the retirement /payout benefits.
Better than if found guilty probably gets?????Ha! Ha!

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
I thought it was interesting that she got amnesia when she fronted ICAC a while back. Walked out declaring that she had done nothing wrong and the papers were all about how she was so brave. It wasn't her fault she has poor choice in men.

Fast forward a few months and now ICAC announces that they are looking into some of her decisions and allocation of funds as minister. No grand standing and declaring her 100% confidence in her decisions and that ICAC will clear her, nope, quits her job and parliament.
Nothing suss going on there.
So she had amnesia when she admitted to the ICAC that she 'didnt need to know about this', to me sounds like she was telling the truth. So in all your years Hoyks, you never made a poor decision about a female you went out with?.

Last edited:

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
She claims she was above board, has inegrity, honesty which will be proven eventually and then resigns.
So gets the retirement /payout benefits.
Better than if found guilty probably gets?????Ha! Ha!

Roger, another one who has no idea how politics operates and how ICAC can destroy any one persons credibility, with ICAC not answerable to anyone. You, along with many others, make a big deal about her retirement/payout benefit she may receive but it wasnt her, or any other current politician, who introduced this scheme. I find it amazing that you have already decided she is guilty......of what may I ask.

Last edited:

Hoyks

Hoyks, you never made a poor decision about a female you went out with?.
That's a bit of an assumption:rolleyes:.

The I don't need to know about that implies to me that she already knew whatever it was was less than above board and wanted to be able to maintain plausible deniability.

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's a bit of an assumption:rolleyes:.

The I don't need to know about that implies to me that she already knew whatever it was was less than above board and wanted to be able to maintain plausible deniability.
@Hoyks, you maybe right in that she had heard rumours etc, but didnt want to know the details. I do agree that allocation of funding to some areas when she was a Minister may look a bit sus, but there are many pollies, state or federal, who have done similar. I still think she has been crucified by ICAC, but had no choice but to resign, but did so with dignity.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Roger, another one who has no idea how politics operates and how ICAC can destroy any one persons credibility, with ICAC not answerable to anyone. You, along with many others, make a big deal about her retirement/payout benefit she may receive but it wasnt her, or any other current politician, who introduced this scheme. I find it amazing that you have already decided she is guilty......of what may I ask.
I said if found guilty.????
Also I have worked managing over forty branches in one of the big four banks as well as State manager in a major Australia wide supermarket where I have seen top management shown the door. I understand the importance of protecting ones retirement benefits by taking a resignation or retirement before a possible dismissal.

Last edited:

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
I said if found guilty.????
Also I have worked managing over forty branches in one of the big four banks as well as State manager in a major Australia wide supermarket where I have seen top management shown the door. I understand the importance of protecting ones retirement benefits by taking a resignation or retirement before a possible dismissal.
A little different for MP's, rightly or wrongly, to the private sector Rogerazz. I am trying to say that most people have a hate of politicians and try to bag them in anyway they can. I work with them and there is no way I would want to do their job. Yes, they have some perks but for many, especially the Prime Minster and ministers in fed/state govts, they can be working 18hrs a day, not 9 to 5 like many of us. They go to functions at night, many see as a perk, when they would rather be at home with their families, but it is what the job is.

What I am trying to say is that Gladys has been crucified now, but in the long term she will have a better life and will finish up being financially rewarded when she enters the private sector.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
A little different for MP's, rightly or wrongly, to the private sector Rogerazz. I am trying to say that most people have a hate of politicians and try to bag them in anyway they can. I work with them and there is no way I would want to do their job. Yes, they have some perks but for many, especially the Prime Minster and ministers in fed/state govts, they can be working 18hrs a day, not 9 to 5 like many of us. They go to functions at night, many see as a perk, when they would rather be at home with their families, but it is what the job is.

What I am trying to say is that Gladys has been crucified now, but in the long term she will have a better life and will finish up being financially rewarded when she enters the private sector.
I don't hate anyone and I do understand having worked in the Banking industry for thirty five years. I have experienced first hand what many people think about bankers. My job was a performance based contract, working late night, weekend call backs, no RDOs, for no renumeration , definitely no kick backs, etc etc.
Most times representing the bank at functions was a chance to get something back as my wife attended with me often.
Getting to bed after midnight was not all the time, however had my fair share.
Same applied for when working in the Supermarket chain after I left banking.

Rusty Panels

While I don't think much of politicians as a general rule I think Gladys is an honest and decent person who had the best of intentions for the state. I had the honour of meeting her the day after the fires devastated the South Coast and chatted to her for a while. There were no news cameras or crowds of people just a few of us from the RFS who were in the thick of it at Mogo. She was very upset at what had occurred and you could tell that she was genuine in her sadness. I think she was a great Premier and has had a very rough time with the fires, floods and then the pandemic. The turd boyfriend was the problem and he obviously played her.

I was once told that "politicians are like a bunch of bananas, they start out green, turn yellow and there's not a straight one amongst them!"
I think Gladys is an exception to that rule.