Another CEO bites the dust.

boobook

The latest LR CEO didn't last long. He promised profitability and reliability and failed and got the bullet on Dec 31. Another "I am focussing on making LR's reliable" fail.

When he took over, sales were 600,000 per annum, and he promised sales of 1,000,000 per annum. They halved to 300,000 and he admitted that no one buys them because they are too unreliable. Not a promising look from the CEO. Sales are headed down to 100,000 to 200,000 according to this article.

Sounds like it may be up to the Chinese to fix LR now if India has given up on the endless losses. "Made in China" may mean reliability in the future.

It seems strange to me that LR is aiming to compete with Rolls Royce etc and focussing on fashion social media.

Last edited:

Albynsw

With so many of their CEO’s falling on their sword the problem must be deeply grained in the business. The new defender has becomea bit of a success story for them but it gets lost in the disastrous sales of the thousands of other models in their lineup that have low sales numbers
It is crazy that in these times where you can sell anything that theycant make a go of it.Even Volvo and Citroen are selling well, others are hiking their prices because the sales demand is so strong.

And then they decide to go after the Bentley market o_O

boobook

The good news to make things better is the CEO said “To be very, very clear, this is something we are really unhappy about".

Yeah, but probably not as unhappy as the owners that can't get their car fixed, and get second hard or non genuine parts during the warranty period.

If they were reliable in the first place, maybe this wouldn't be such a massive issue. They could afford to hold spares.

mikehzz

Is it just me or have people changed? Cars seem less important to young guys now than they were to me as a young guy. Cars are a money pit at the best of times and unless you're somewhat passionate about them, the less you spend the better. Hence my son buying a Tank 300 instead of something twice the price that all the media heroes might by trying to flog. Roothy's driving a Mahindra instead of a Toyota these days.

Albynsw

Is it just me or have people changed? Cars seem less important to young guys now than they were to me as a young guy. Cars are a money pit at the best of times and unless you're somewhat passionate about them, the less you spend the better. Hence my son buying a Tank 300 instead of something twice the price that all the media heroes might by trying to flog. Roothy's driving a Mahindra instead of a Toyota these days.

There has been a breakdown in the tribal like connection between man, a spanner and a car. I think the smartphone broke the cycle

Toyasaurus

Like the joke reads, in the instruction manual it used to tell you how to adjust the valves, now it says not to drink the contents of the battery.

Kids these days don`t know anything about what they are driving, whether they are not taught or not interested is another matter.
I`ve had young people come up to me in a servo and ask where the fuel cap is, even had to point out to one putting petrol in a diesel is bad.