Another bent chassis discussion.

2luxes

However, Explorer Motorhomes has developed a legally-modified HiLux chassis that increases the GVM to 3500kg, resulting in a much
more practical load capacity. The suspension modification includes new rear springs, rear shock absorbers, front struts and front shock absorbers. Not only does that improve the load carrying capacity but it also improves the general road handling of the motorhome, which suffers a bit from sideways motion due to its taller height and narrower build.
I wonder what they did with the rear axle housing, axles, wheel studs, wheel bearings. engine cooling system, transmission, brakes etc etc. All of those parts are still standard and are now working right on the ragged edge with nothing left in reserve.

Would petrol be the way to go...???
With all the drama now with diesels and the green gumbys enforced anti soot crap, common rail weekly rebuild etc,makes ya wonder

Vik... ???

I wonder what they did with the rear axle housing, axles, wheel studs, wheel bearings. engine cooling system, transmission, brakes etc etc. All of those parts are still standard and are now working right on the ragged edge with nothing left in reserve.
I reckon for what I want to do, should be ok , none of this stuff

Just 4x4 up me sleeve for a rainy day, and a long range petrol one

Vik...

cam04

D
I reckon for what I want to do, should be ok , none of this stuff

Just 4x4 up me sleeve for a rainy day, and a long range petrol one

Vik...
theres nothing there a petrol engine hasn’t done before, just use a bit more juice under pressure - and usually deliver more performance.

Speaking of overloading - pretty impressed we haven’t damaged any of these utes. The bales average 750kg each (weighed one at over 800) so 1.5-1.6 T all up and these utes (five 70 series all up) carry these every second day over extremely rough, steep terrain and have been for the past 6m. Did break a spring (aftermarket) on the 79 with that trailer though - but it was eroded to half its thickness beforehand

Attachments

Last edited:

itlldoo

Speaking of overloading - pretty impressed we haven’t damaged any of these utes. The bales average 750kg each (weighed one at over 800) and these utes (five 70 series all up) carry these every second day over extremely rough, steep terrain and have been for the past 6m. Did break a spring (aftermarket) on the 79 with that trailer though - but it was eroded to half its thickness beforehand
just another day at work mate !;)

That’s 1.5-1.6tonnes, cos they are
Carrying two bales (5 with the trailer). Also with HD steel trays payload is about 1T. Also you’re meant to half rate any vehicle in harsh terrain

So which one do I get ...??? Vision with five pots or four...??? Has Hilux bin cured yet DPF woes , ford aint much better with the EGR popin head gaskets...???

Petrol startin to look good In a hilux if they doo em ...??? :-o

Vik...