Android Head Unit - MQ Triton

Warby

After umm'ing and ahh'ing about it for ages, I have this morning pulled the trigger on one of the Chinese Android headunits and figured I'd pop this thread up to document the purchase, install and user experience for anyone else considering the same...

I have purchased the Eonon GA2187 unit (link) for $399 directly from Eonon (shipping from Hong Kong apparently), which has the below key specs:
  • 2GB Ram
  • 1.2GHZ CPU
  • 16GB ROM
  • Android 10
  • 10.1" HD screen with 1024x600 resolution
I had been leaning towards one of the Joying units, which have much better specs - 4GB ram, 64gb rom, 1.8ghz CPU etc etc.. But ultimately I figured that this *should* be good enough for my purposes, and at ~$200 difference I decided I'd stick with the cheaper option and see how it goes. I don't intend to play videos or games or anything like that on it. All I really want it to do is maps, audio and possibly vehicle monitoring (via OBD) (seems like a waste when I put it like that haha... I could have just bought a Hema HX-1 instead for the mapping and stuck with what I have for audio.... ah well! I like shiny things!).

The unit also comes with a free dashcam, reverse camera and OBDII dongle.. I don't need these, but hey.. they're free so I'll take them.

In order to install the unit in the car I have also ordered the below items from Supercheap for a touch under $300:
  • Aerpro install kit (FP8349K)
  • Aerpro ISO to Mitsubishi Adaptor (APP0113)

So, all up I'm about $700 down. Cheaper than any of the usual recommended double-din kenwood/alpine/etc units, but with the advantage of having a full Android install on the headunit rather than having to use Android Auto (or Apple Carplay). Time will tell if it was money well spent or not ;)

Orders placed 17/09/2020. Will update this thread once the items arrive.

Triton14

Interesting, I'd like to do this to my GLX MN so interested to hear how it turns out.

Who is doing the install for you?
Got any quotes??

Some installers would probably say no thanks as they usually arent keen installing someone elses gear,

I recont it would be a bit of a job!

Warby

Interesting, I'd like to do this to my GLX MN so interested to hear how it turns out.

Who is doing the install for you?
Got any quotes??

Some installers would probably say no thanks as they usually arent keen installing someone elses gear,

I recont it would be a bit of a job!
Doing it myself - headunits are an easy job, especially with all of the plug and play harnesses and whatnot from aerpro.

I don't anticipate it taking more than an hour or two from start to finish.

Triton14

Doing it myself - headunits are an easy job, especially with all of the plug and play harnesses and whatnot from aerpro.

I don't anticipate it taking more than an hour or two from start to finish.
Plug & play harnesses are great, but for me its more about access.

I just find anything I need to install into the dash a PITA.

Warby

Plug & play harnesses are great, but for me its more about access.

I just find anything I need to install into the dash a PITA.
The triton isn't too bad. I've had the stock headunit out a few times.

Some cars can be an absolute nightmare to do like that though, so I get what you mean

Warby

Headunit turned up from Hong Kong yesterday, but still no sign of so much as a shipping notification from Supercheap for the install kit and wiring harness...

Phoned customer service to follow up, since their website says that if I order it today it should be here in about 7 days. After a bit of an argument with the first guy I spoke to about it being "not their standard practice" to follow up on an online order status any earlier than 10 business days, followed by a further argument about it not being their job to follow up on items which are listed as "special order" products, he sent the query to a store who followed up and called me back.

The person at the store (some random store in NSW) informed me that they had called the supplier and been told that the install kit I ordered is on backorder and not expected in stock until at least early October. The ISO Harness is in stock, but they don't ship any of the order until the full order is complete.

Absolutely bloody pathetic on Supercheap's part. I get that there are delays at the moment, but if I hadn't followed up there would have been no communication to let me know any of this. The part listing on their website today still says "Order today to receive by Thursday Oct 1st!"

Have requested they ship the ISO harness and cancel/refund the install kit. I will make do without it.

Last edited:

Triton14

Headunit turned up from Hong Kong yesterday, but still no sign of so much as a shipping notification from Supercheap for the install kit and wiring harness...

Phoned customer service to follow up, since their website says that if I order it today it should be here in about 7 days. After a bit of an argument with the first guy I spoke to about it being "not their standard practice" to follow up on an online order status any earlier than 10 business days, followed by a further argument about it not being their job to follow up on items which are listed as "special order" products, he sent the query to a store who followed up and called me back.

The person at the store (some random store in NSW) informed me that they had called the supplier and been told that the install kit I ordered is on backorder and not expected in stock until at least early October. The ISO Harness is in stock, but they don't ship any of the order until the full order is complete.

Absolutely bloody pathetic on Supercheap's part. I get that there are delays at the moment, but if I hadn't followed up there would have been no communication to let me know any of this. The part listing on their website today still says "Order today to receive by Thursday Oct 1st!"

Have requested they ship the ISO harness and cancel/refund the install kit. I will make do without it.
As usual, they take your money but not saying anything about "in stock" or not.

Thats the online roll the dice situation some times :rolleyes:

Warby

As usual, they take your money but not saying anything about "in stock" or not.

Thats the online roll the dice situation some times :rolleyes:
I don't even mind that, it's the lack of communication and the attitude of the "customer service" clown that really pi$$ed me off.

dan637

That looks like a good deal!! hows the quality of the head unit? does it look like it will last? touch screen seem good?

Warby

Sadly mate, I still wouldn't have a clue... No sign still of my harness from Supercheap in spite of the AusPost website showing it processed in NSW on the 29th of September, but no progress since.

(edited to take the blame somewhat off of Supercheap here.. I had actually completely missed the tracking details email, which I just found and checked..)

peterfermtech

I love those AusPost emails with a due for delivery about a week in the past and the tracking meter saying "On Time"

Warby

So I received the ISO cable harness yesterday, finally!

Decided to have a go at installing it without the install kit to see what I actually need... Turns out, not much. Glad I got that $300 back now haha.

Mounting brackets from the stock headunit fit the Eonon headunit no problem (only 2 of the 4 holes line up on each side, but it will be fine). The screen is big enough that you only see the bezel gap if you go out of your way to look behind it.

ISO harness from Aerpro made it truly plug and play. Took about 15 minutes from when I sat in the car to when I had everything back together and packing up to go back inside.

I still need to pull it back out this weekend to tidy up the mess of cables and to run the GPS antenna, USB and hands-free mic. At the moment they're all just jammed in the dash behind the headunit.

I need to purchase a harness to retain the stock reverse camera (didn't even think of this until last night) and steering wheel control harness. Will find and order those today.

First impression of the unit is that it's good, but not amazing. Everything seems to work well enough. Haven't had any issues with crashing but it isn't as "snappy" as I'd like. I'll have a bit more of a play around with it and see if I can improve that, but all in all im happy with it so far for the price. Next time around I would probably pay the extra for one of the higher spec Joying units though.

The screen seems good - very bright and clear. Touch screen seems to work well.

Avenza Maps, Torque Pro, Spotify and iTune Radio all installed without problem and seem to work well. Google Maps also seems to work well. Haven't really tried any other apps yet (an old version of Netflix came pre-installed, but didn't work - I don't want video on there anyway though so that doesn't bother me). I am hoping that once I spend some more time customising Torque and the launcher im using (Car Launcher Pro - I didn't like the launcher it came with) that I will be much happier with the unit as I'll have everything I want within a tap or two of the main screen, so responsiveness won't be much of an issue

A couple crappy pics below... When I pull it out again this weekend I'll take some more pictures to document the install process for other people's reference.
20201014_084158.jpg
20201014_084140.jpg

Warby

(btw, although it looks in that first pic like I might be driving, I'm not - I'm parked in a bay on the side of the road before work this morning hah)

Warby

Video retention cable ordered from Automotive Superstore (Aerpro part # AVMPT02), $23.95 delivered.

I've read a few things online which suggest that the steering wheel controls only actually need 2 cables connected, so going to investigate that further before dropping ~$130 unnecessarily on the harness for this.

Triton14

I thought is was going to basically replace the dash area with a sort of OEM or integrated fit rather than what seems a clip on screen but hey as long as it works thats all that counts.
No doubt a slightly bigger screen that would fit into the head unit anyway!

Warby

I thought is was going to basically replace the dash area with a sort of OEM or integrated fit rather than what seems a clip on screen but hey as long as it works thats all that counts.
No doubt a slightly bigger screen that would fit into the head unit anyway!
I've replaced the stereo headunit - The rest of the dash remains the same. I could have gone with a unit that had a screen which was the same size as OEM, but I wanted to go for something bigger..

I suspect there might be a terminology issue at play here :p

headunit = the stereo, not the dash / fascia.

Warby

Pulled it out again this morning to tidy up the wiring and move the microphone and GPS antenna to where I wanted them. Tried to get the steering wheel controls working while I was there, but no joy so I have ordered a steering wheel control harness (Aerpro part number CHMB2C) from Frankie's Auto Electrics for $88.50.