Andrew St Pierre White shares the love with Faj owners

Wara

In one of his videos his South African mate said “I love the sound of a h1z engine in the morning” think he meant 1hz, even though the engine was a 1hd. The shows are filled with little inaccuracys like this, which says to me that they are mainly pretenders.

how ever to give him some credit, the shows are well shot

Last edited:

Karl Fehlauer

No his good point is the dreamcruiser is going to go up for sale I saw this week. All that work and money sunk into that bus to realise he didn't have a clue what he wanted to build in the first place :p It's taken him this long to realise a 3rd world country's GDP cost of that tommy camper hasn't enough room to sit in....wtf?
Back to the troopy he goes.

He is not dumb, but sometimes I wonder if I am wrong there. He does come across a bit toffee nosed at times.
I watched the entire build series (yes I was bored) and in my opinion I thought that it was going to be too big and heavy especially for remote country touring. There was a lot of stuff he did that I wouldn't have done (not that I can afford anything like that) and to me a lot of the stuff seemed to complex, unnecessary and may have issues when out in remote country.

TBH - watching the whole build, I wasn't sure if he knew what he wanted as a lot of the time he seemed to be complaining or making excuses etc - such as having to fit the extra 50mm railings on the tray so the camper could sit on it so he didn't have to cut down the front roll bar of the tray. If it was me I would have cut the roll bar regardless of whether it was a Norweld one or not.

Anyway, its his car and his choice as what he will do with it and I am sure someone will cough up the big bucks to buy it.

Karl

sharkcaver

Well after posting last night, I watched his hour long vid "tourer V's offroader" hoping to see what mistakes he had made.
It was nothing short of an advertorial for the sale of the dream tourer. There was stuff all about how his mistakes made the vehicle not so off road capable. It was just a walk around of the dream tourer, showing off all its bits for the listing now on car sales.

To his credit, he did bag some of the product (that he wouldn't have paid retail pricing for) and that may not do him well on the next build.
He bragged about his egon hub - in which he is in partnership to manufacture and flog these to others.
He also salivated over some product (he no doubt wants to keep those freebies coming) Like the hella side lights that have been flogged through tight scrub and held up fine (with an accompanying vid of a soft green twig scraping past said light :D :D :D)

But all in all, the vid is just an advertorial.
He says on the vid the build cost him 230K, so he is selling it for 235K. Gotta pay for those new recaro's in the troopy to come somehow.

Make no mistake, the guy is a business man and his channel is there to support that function.

But kudo's to him. He is getting free shit and making money by doing the things he loves. I cant blame him for that.

I get no free shit and it costs me a fortune to make mediocre vids doing the things I love. I've been to places he will never go to.

Take him for what he is and enjoy the scenery of places he goes to.

sharkcaver

I watched the entire build series (yes I was bored) and in my opinion I thought that it was going to be too big and heavy especially for remote country touring. There was a lot of stuff he did that I wouldn't have done (not that I can afford anything like that) and to me a lot of the stuff seemed to complex, unnecessary and may have issues when out in remote country.

TBH - watching the whole build, I wasn't sure if he knew what he wanted as a lot of the time he seemed to be complaining or making excuses etc - such as having to fit the extra 50mm railings on the tray so the camper could sit on it so he didn't have to cut down the front roll bar of the tray. If it was me I would have cut the roll bar regardless of whether it was a Norweld one or not.

Anyway, its his car and his choice as what he will do with it and I am sure someone will cough up the big bucks to buy it.

Karl
Yep, for such a "knowledgeable" off roader (he does have cred in that area to be totally honest) I was stunned at some of his decisions on the build.
The cynic in me says that the whole build was a self promotional ploy to help fund the next build and it keeps his sponsors and channel growing.

He mentions that anything he puts on youtube he expects to get flamed on. I've done some of that in the above posts, but also hope I gave some balance to his story by supporting other stuff he has done.

Again, he is a just a business man. Kudo's to him.

Karl Fehlauer

But kudo's to him. He is getting free shit and making money by doing the things he loves. I cant blame him for that.

I get no free shit and it costs me a fortune to make mediocre vids doing the things I love. I've been to places he will never go to.

Yeah, but at least your vids (and mine hopefully) are real and the passion for the travel and exploring is genuine and not infoverts for the flogging of products and yes you go places he will never go and hopefully this year we get to go to a lot of places :p :p

Good luck to him and as you said he is a businessman and everyone is entitled to make a dollar just like all the other channels that do the same thing.

Being 'gainfully unemployed' doesn't help much when trying to get out there and being on a limited budget doesn't help, but when I do I really appreciate it.

Karl

Wara

Well after posting last night, I watched his hour long vid "tourer V's offroader" hoping to see what mistakes he had made.
It was nothing short of an advertorial for the sale of the dream tourer. There was stuff all about how his mistakes made the vehicle not so off road capable. It was just a walk around of the dream tourer, showing off all its bits for the listing now on car sales.

To his credit, he did bag some of the product (that he wouldn't have paid retail pricing for) and that may not do him well on the next build.
He bragged about his egon hub - in which he is in partnership to manufacture and flog these to others.
He also salivated over some product (he no doubt wants to keep those freebies coming) Like the hella side lights that have been flogged through tight scrub and held up fine (with an accompanying vid of a soft green twig scraping past said light :D :D :D)

But all in all, the vid is just an advertorial.
He says on the vid the build cost him 230K, so he is selling it for 235K. Gotta pay for those new recaro's in the troopy to come somehow.

Make no mistake, the guy is a business man and his channel is there to support that function.

crazy money, if you’re going to spend that kind of $ why not do it yourself and make it exactly how you want, not how someone else wanted it. Seems common in 4wd/touring that people expect to get their money back on vehicles and mods.

these heavily rear ladened 79’s with everything but the kitchen sink must handle like an abosultd pig in mud. The standard ones with just a canopy on the back wander around like a horse. Be fun in soft sand as well with all that weight on the rear wheels

sharkcaver

crazy money, if you’re going to spend that kind of $ why not do it yourself and make it exactly how you want, not how someone else wanted it. Seems common in 4wd/touring that people expect to get their money back on vehicles and mods.

these heavily rear ladened 79’s with everything but the kitchen sink must handle like an abosultd pig in mud. The standard ones with just a canopy on the back wander around like a horse. Be fun in soft sand as well with all that weight on the rear wheels
Each to their own I guess. He did do it exactly how he wanted it, then realised he made a mistake.
Some of us (IE the majority of us) don't have all the skills/equipment to do it all ourselves.
Like Karl said, why not just chop the headboard instead of giving the camper a body lift??

I am 200K under his build cost and get almost everywhere I need to go. I am also at least 600Kg lighter.
He has now come to realise a tourer aint necessarily an off roader.

I think a fanboi wil buy it soon enough. Vehicles and RV's have gone nuts since the china virus and everyone is travelling at home.

Last edited:

rob_macca67

I am 200K under his build cost and get almost everywhere I need to go. I am also at least 600Kg lighter.
He has now come to realise a tourer aint necessarily an off roader.

Just curious or maybe I've missed something.... but where has he taken it that he now thinks it's no good as a Off-roader? I haven't seen anything where it show's him going offroad in it... (other than getting stuck in a sandy river bed)

Wara

What confuses me is why people do it. I can understand having a few things to make travel more comfortable, but isn’t half the point of getting out there mindfulness, minimalism, escapism, what ever you want to call it. If someone is getting on a bit and needs the comfort to stay on the road, then get a 4wd camper trailer.. probably does exactly the same for half as much. I watched a bit of his video on the build, can bet half the stuff on their will never even be used. When he said 600kg constant load First time slamming into a washout and surely that’s your chassis bent

Last edited by a moderator:

Wara

Just curious or maybe I've missed something.... but where has he taken it that he now thinks it's no good as a Off-roader? I haven't seen anything where it show's him going offroad in it...
its no good, way to heavy especially with that narrow wheel track on the rear. I don’t know about mud etc, but for the outback (beyond their reliability and strength) 79’s really aren’t all that

phs

“This build as featured on 4xOverland, is for sale from January 2021. It is sold complete with all accessories and extras, as seen on our video series. Price is A$240 000 incl. GST, excl. stamp duty. It has 11 400 kms on the odo. A video providing details of its value is being edited now (early December 2020) It is now a 2-seater, but can be returned to a 4-seater at buyer’s request and at no extra cost.”

If had to spend 240k to build a dream tourer I don’t think I’d end up with this

sharkcaver

Just curious or maybe I've missed something.... but where has he taken it that he now thinks it's no good as a Off-roader? I haven't seen anything where it show's him going offroad in it... (other than getting stuck in a sandy river bed)
I agree, hence the cynical "why it was built" comment I made. It's only got 11,000K's on the dial. Half of that from one Pilbara trip where he bogged it in soft sand. Hardly a real world "put it through its paces" trip.

sharkcaver

its no good, way to heavy especially with that narrow wheel track on the rear. I don’t know about mud etc, but for the outback (beyond their reliability and strength) 79’s really aren’t all that
It has been cut, stretched and had the track corrected BTW.

Wara

It has been cut, stretched and had the track corrected BTW.
Would be interesting to drive one with those mods and see what it’s like.

I have a 79 for work and my own car is a gu patrol. Yes the 79 is superior in many ways, but off road ability is not one of them. Abosute night and day difference when it comes to river beds, dunes etc. not even a contest. The only area the 79 is better is the torque for crawling over/through stuff, but where the 79 crawls with all that torque, the patrol just drives

phs

Would be interesting to drive one with those mods and see what it’s like.

I have a 79 for work and my own car is a gu patrol. Yes the 79 is superior in many ways, but off road ability is not one of them. Abosute night and day difference when it comes to river beds, dunes etc. not even a contest. The only area the 79 is better is the torque for crawling over/through stuff, but where the 79 crawls with all that torque, the patrol just drives
You are funny

Wara

Yeh ok. Must be imagining it all/lying what ever you want to believe. you are probably just regurgitating stuff you read on forums and have never actually used either of these vehicles in the conditions mentioned. I drive in rivers and dunes almost every day, so I can actually say this with confidence.

boobook

I have no idea how old you are Wara - 19? 20? But I'm impressed that you know more than every other member, and have more experience than their accumulative years put together. The western Desert communities must consider themselves to be very lucky to have someone who knows everything about everything telling them how much you know about any imaginable subject. With poor internet coverage and no google, they have a local cache on every subject.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. With your personal skills, a job in the middle of nowhere and no one for 1000 kms in any direction is a perfect career for you. Did you get professional career advice?

I think you know a lot about remote 4wding, but nowhere near as much as you think you do.

Wara

Your right, you have no idea.

it’s telling that most of the abnoxious people here who are crying about me thinking I know everything, are from Victoria. The furthest possible place from where I am talking about.

Even if someone has been visiting the western desert every year for a couple of weeks for 20 year’s, it still doesn’t accumulate to a lot of time actually in the desert compared to those who live and breathe it 365. As for telling people out here how things should be done, other way round mate. I learn from people who have spent their entire lives driving around the bush.

maybe you should ask yourself who the real know it all’s are. Or did the lock down just get to you a bit?