Anderson Plug install Question

HoloVolo

Hi, apologies if this has been answered, I did try searching but couldn't find what I was after.

I have a new camper trailer with a DCDC charger installed. I want to add an Anderson plug to the tow vehicle ('21 Ford Ranger) so I can charge while driving.

Is it simply a matter of running red to red and black to black from my car battery at the front to the Anderson Plug at the tow bar?

If it is as simply as that, will I need to disconnect the Anderson plug everytime I stop to ensure it doesn't drain the car battery or will the DCDC charger in the camper trailer prevent that from happening.

Don't think it matters, as it will be a stand alone and separate from the camper battery and charger, but I do have an aux battery and DCDC charger in car.

smitty_r51

In essence yes.

But you will need a circuit breaker near the car battery to isolate the line, you will need a decent size cable for that length of run.
If you want to stop it draining the car battery then you want a vsr fitted to disconnect when the voltage drops

HoloVolo

In essence yes.

But you will need a circuit breaker near the car battery to isolate the line, you will need a decent size cable for that length of run.
If you want to stop it draining the car battery then you want a vsr fitted to disconnect when the voltage drops
Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah I'd obviously fuse as close to battery as possible and run sufficient size cable.

Sorry if I'm a bit dense. So even though the camper has a DCDC charger if I just ran red-red black-black when I stopped the car if it was still plugged in it would drain car battery?

Will there be any issue using the vsr on my car as it has a smart alternator (I think).

Albynsw

Your DCDC will isolate your car battery automatically like it does in a standard dual battery system
With fusing keep in mind that power from your camper trailer battery can travel back through the cable to your car battery as well so have a fuse both ends in case there is a short in the cable run

discomatt

Does that model Ranger run a shunt at the cars main battery? If so run from the shunt not the battery terminal

HoloVolo

Your DCDC will isolate your car battery automatically like it does in a standard dual battery system
With fusing keep in mind that power from your camper trailer battery can travel back through the cable to your car battery as well so have a fuse both ends in case there is a short in the cable run
Ok thanks. So a vsr isn't necessary in the case of a camper trailer with a dcdc charger and I can just run red-red-black-black from car battery to anderson plug on towbar, ensuring adequate cabling and fusing

shanegtr

In essence yes, but as discomatt mentioned you'll need to establish if the vehicle has battery monitoring and the DCDC load will need to be taken from a location that the vehicle will "see" it - if you go straight to the battery connections it will most likely bypass any load sensing and you'll then run the risk of draining the vehicles start battery

Corndoggy

Some info on your dcdc charger in the camper would be nice.
Also how the one in the tow vehicle has been done for interest.

Last edited:

HoloVolo

In essence yes, but as discomatt mentioned you'll need to establish if the vehicle has battery monitoring and the DCDC load will need to be taken from a location that the vehicle will "see" it - if you go straight to the battery connections it will most likely bypass any load sensing and you'll then run the risk of draining the vehicles start battery
This is like my engine bay .pretty sure its exactly the same, not sure whether there is a shunt?

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 22

smitty_r51

Does that model Ranger run a shunt at the cars main battery? If so run from the shunt not the battery terminal
Fairly sure it does, mate had a 2019, should be 4 spare spots under that red cover to bolt to.

If in doubt get a auto sparky to wire it up for you. Shouldn't take them an hour especially if you have already pulled all the cables through into position and they just need to connect it

Corndoggy

Recommended connection of the negative line is at the bolt on the chassis that the cable from the negative battery terminal connect to.
Red cover is the positive battery terminal .

Albynsw

Ok thanks. So a vsr isn't necessary in the case of a camper trailer with a dcdc charger and I can just run red-red-black-black from car battery to anderson plug on towbar, ensuring adequate cabling and fusing

Look up some installation diagrams for a dual battery setup, Redarc has a number of different scenarios on their website but there are plenty of others available online.
The anderson plug in the middle of it doesn’t change the basic wiring requirements

HoloVolo

Some info on your dcdc charger in the camper would be nice.
Also how the one in the tow vehicle has been done for interest.
The dcdc charger in camper is a Victron 12V to 12V Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A Non-isolated DC-DC. No idea how it is actually wired up as it was done before i purchased it.

tow vehicle set up is a kings agm and dcdc on control box that I installed exactly as their video tutorials show. It seemed pretty easy even to a novice like me and It has been working without issue for a couple of years now.

HoloVolo

Look up some installation diagrams for a dual battery setup, Redarc has a number of different scenarios on their website but there are plenty of others available online.
The anderson plug in the middle of it doesn’t change the basic wiring requirements
Thanks, I'd have a look at a few.

Hmm, the Anderson plug is literally the point, I have an aux battery in car with a kings DCDC which I used before I got the camper. For fridge, camp lights, charging phones. I never had a use for an Anderson plug on the towbar so I didn't have one.

I got myself a camper with everything already done,including a Victron DCDC. I want to be able to hook the camper trailer up to the car using an Anderson plug, but I don't want to interfere with the car aux set up.

I dont mean to sound like a flog, I appreciate all the replies. Thank you to everyone who has given advice

Corndoggy

For the Victron charger all you need to run is the supply to the charger, no other wires needed. For that charger Victron have stated the minimum cable size for a run of 5 to 10 metres is 16mm2 flexable cable, I take that as being a single cable run, using a chassis as the return, with a 60 amp fuse as protection, use a midi type fuse and holder or similar. Run the positive from the battery to the Anderson plug. Now a contentious bit. You can run the negative from a recommended earth point on the chassis close to the Anderson plug or run a cable from the chassis earth point of the battery in the engine bay. As it is about a 5 metre run length the total cable run length is about 10 metres, this falls in line with Victrons recommended cable, but from other calculations a 25mm2 cable size is recommended for a 2 wire run. This though might not fit into the charger terminals so, here we go, jump on this other members, to make it fit cut some strands off when stripping to fit into the terminals as this will not effect the cable current rating or you could source some cable reducing pins.
Now your charger is a 30 amp charger. That is the output. Your input current will be dependent on the size of your cable run to the input side. An underrated cable will give you a larger voltage drop which will be compensated with higher current done by the charger, within the chargers specifications. You can't or are not going to change what your camper is wired with, that we don't know, so you want to give the maximum conditions at your Anderson plug for your camper, as the camper wiring is also adding into the calculations. Personally I would run 2 x 25mm2 wires, done once but will cost more.
For information i have come across someone that had wired an Anderson plug for his trailer, it worked but when he bought himself an air compressor it was to big to run from his Anderson plug wiring, it was to small and to much voltage drop to let the compressor run.
That's my say.

CTL

What size alternator does your Ranger have? Does it have enough spare capacity to supply two DCDCs?

Corndoggy

Something not mentioned or commented on is do you have solar? Good idea to use solar, or a 240v battery charger if you have access to that to keep your batteries charged when your camping, without relying on running your car to charge them. I've always managed to keep my batteries in a good charge condition by using my solar panels during the day, both in my Ranger and the camper. I also start any trip with fully charged batteries from the start. I also check my batteries several times a year to see how they are going.