Change background image

And will we get the Jeep Gladiator

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Tink, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

2. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Excuse me. I have to go to the toilet, must be something I ate.:eek:.

3. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

That extended chassis twin cab may well bring them a few sales.

BTFIVO and Rhett HS like this.
  4. Cokedaddy216

Cokedaddy216 Active Member

:rolleyes: Damn just ordered a new Toyota o_O

5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

6. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

That green extra cab in the first post looks good. I need an extra cab, not a dual cab, for the dog and the extra tray space. Toyota doesn’t offer that cab type. Reckon there will be a bit if interest. Certainly capable enough off road and there will be heaps of accessories, including factory accessories, available. Jeep offer bolt on lifts and suspension upgrades.
    Tink

Spooner and 80lover96gxl like this.
  7. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Even though its not my cup of tea i think the market is ripe for this, probably the main thing that holds back sales would be the chrysler reliability reputation?

Bomber2012 likes this.
  8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Always been a fan of extra cabs over the duel cab, wonder if an alloy canopy can be fitted ?

Spooner and Tink like this.
  9. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Does it have a proper roof, or will it have a roll cage and padding taking up all the interior space?

Will patrol and defender owners buy it?
    I can imagine a drop occurring in the SAS market.

10. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Not sure about Jeep reliability but their warranty handling in Australia has certainly gotten better. With Australia’s new vehicle lemon laws on the horizon, all manufacturers will have to pick up their game
    Tink

Bomber2012 and 80lover96gxl like this.
  11. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Pull the tub off, fit a canopy, or what I am planning, fit a tray and lift off canopy. Surely the Jeep won’t be much different to the current crop of Japanese dual cabs.
    Tink

silkwood and 80lover96gxl like this.
  12. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Wouldn't think so mate, only real difference may be coil rear as apposed to leaf rear in the jap trucks, some polly airs maybe required.

Tink likes this.
  13. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Coil rear, nice. Never thought of that. Looking better already.
    Now, if it comes with a nice V6 petrol, even betterer. I am a bit over the maintenance costs and DPF issues with diesels. Soon they will all have Adblu as well. And plenty of data that the fuel saving versus extra purchase cost of a diesel is something like 8 years of ownership to balance out.
    Tink

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  14. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Modern petrol engines these days are almost on par with diesels economy wise. Diesels these days however are all so suseptible to dirty fuel that repairs cost alone can almost make them an unviable option if they go belly up .

Im still happy with my older diesel at the moment so wont be looking for a replacement in the near future but when the time comes to up grade petrol could well be the winner then I'd say.

rogerazz and Tink like this.
  15. Noel Preston

Noel Preston Active Member

Petrol is okay as long as you have no need to enter mine sites. I wouldn't mind a petrol option otherwise.

16. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

looking good !
    just throw in a couple of firestryker's would be a done deal :cool::D

red hilux, Spooner and 80lover96gxl like this.
  17. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I would question the payload and towing capacity if it's on the Wrangler chassis. They are notoriously low.

18. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

I think it will be quite different to the jap dual cabs. Coming from a different kind of base, a different market, etc. Quite a different kettle of fish. More different than say an amarok, and of course the merc-ara.

19. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

https://mr4x4.com.au/jeep-gladiator-leaked-photos/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Jeep+Gladiator+leaked+photos&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+#236

In a move certain to make hard core 4X4 enthusiasts happy, a document from the same source reveals front and rear axles are Dana 44s with electronic lockers and with electronic sway bar disconnects and 33 inch tyres fitted as standard. Images clearly show the front and rear axles are solid.

The venerable 3.6l Pentastar V6 will be matched to either an 8-speed auto or 6-speed manual for the initial launch. A 3.0l V6 turbo diesel and 8-speed auto transmission will be available later in 2020, according to the document. Both engines feature Engine Start-Stop for fuel economy.

Tink

80lover96gxl likes this.
  20. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

I think 1.5m bed length is actually typical for a dual cab ute sold in Oz.

If all variants do end up having 33" tyres, lockers etc that doesnt harm its ability to be a tradie ute, unless the price is an issue.

80lover96gxl likes this.