Am I dreaming? Cheap, Auto, Diesel, Dual Cab?

MiszRevhead

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fit a triangle into a circle here. Story goes like this..

Have a 97 Subaru Impreza lx 1.6L 4 cylinder manual sedan. On my L's & was going for my license in a manual (my car). Changed my mind to auto to get my license quicker, advertised my car for sale for $4,000 & got into 4x4. Started looking for a 4b that was cheap, diesel, automatic & had space for a baby seat. I didn't know much about trading/selling cars or their true worth. I wanted to find a 4b so cheap I could do a straight swap or not have to give too much cash extra. No luck. Decided to wait for a 4b till I got my green P's when I can more easily get a manual license & get a manual 4b (apparently they're better for off-roading.

Then my Mum had a small accident in my car (M5 carpark). Now it needs a new bonnet, radiator mount straightened & new windscreen. I didn't think it would cost that much more than $1000 to fix so I put the selling price down to $3000 ONO AS IS. No luck, apparently it doesn't work like that. I was told I'd be lucky to get $1800 for it :(

But I've had mixed opinions. One of my good mates says I should wait for the 4b & go for my license in a manual & just do my car up a bit & keep it.

Some of the guys on here reckon I should get a 4b ASAP.

So confused, what do I do?

I can't swap my car for a 4b. I'd rather not get a loan but I'm thinking about biting the bullet, getting a loan & just getting my ultimate 4b. I always promised myself that I'd never get a credit card or loan (other than a mortgage) but I don't know.

Advice would be much appreciated.

cloughcarib

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fit a triangle into a circle here. Story goes like this..

Have a 97 Subaru Impreza lx 1.6L 4 cylinder manual sedan. On my L's & was going for my license in a manual (my car). Changed my mind to auto to get my license quicker, advertised my car for sale for $4,000 & got into 4x4. Started looking for a 4b that was cheap, diesel, automatic & had space for a baby seat. I didn't know much about trading/selling cars or their true worth. I wanted to find a 4b so cheap I could do a straight swap or not have to give too much cash extra. No luck. Decided to wait for a 4b till I got my green P's when I can more easily get a manual license & get a manual 4b (apparently they're better for off-roading.

Then my Mum had a small accident in my car (M5 carpark). Now it needs a new bonnet, radiator mount straightened & new windscreen. I didn't think it would cost that much more than $1000 to fix so I put the selling price down to $3000 ONO AS IS. No luck, apparently it doesn't work like that. I was told I'd be lucky to get $1800 for it :(

But I've had mixed opinions. One of my good mates says I should wait for the 4b & go for my license in a manual & just do my car up a bit & keep it.

Some of the guys on here reckon I should get a 4b ASAP.

So confused, what do I do?

I can't swap my car for a 4b. I'd rather not get a loan but I'm thinking about biting the bullet, getting a loan & just getting my ultimate 4b. I always promised myself that I'd never get a credit card or loan (other than a mortgage) but I don't know.

Advice would be much appreciated.

The expression goes that opinions are like arsewholes... Everyone else's stinks;).

Here's mine anyway.

Forget the loan.
Fix the car you have and get your license sorted.
Save everything you can with the determination to get that 4WD and when you DO sell your car, you should have enough to play with and do a few minor mods.
Your ultimate 4B will be the one you've built up slowly as you've learnt what it needs for the driving you're comfortable with. Obviously as you become more confident on the trails you'll add to the 4B.

My 2c

MiszRevhead

Thank you!! But my car is a manual & I'd like to sell it to buy an automatic. I'm going for my license in an automatic. Haven't had enough manual experience & need my license sooner rather than later. So if I save up for a 4b, I'll just swap or sell my manual for an automatic something lol.

I appreciate your reply, thank you!

Roost

Mate, you'll be fine in a manual, "Coupla Days"... Hang in there, it'll be worth it. Heaps more options and save a few bucks.

Enjoy it which ever way you go. I've just bought my first auto 4x and its my 7th 4wd. They're all fun, but this is for the wife and family.

No matter what you decide, remember to share your experiences, photos and failures so we can all enjoy/learn.

03hilux

If your selling your car for $3000, and it will cost about $1000 to fix it, why not fix it anyway? Then sell it for $4000. A straight car will sell quicker than a bent one.
Then do as Clough suggested.

MiszRevhead

I've had the advertisement as "$2000 as is ono or swap for automatic of any description except for 2 door utes" for a few weeks now. Had one swap offer that I drove 7 hours to take up & the other car was a piece of crap lol. Don't worry, I've learned my lesson. I've realised that my car probably won't need $1000 spent on it. It's just that no one wants it..

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I didn't know much about trading/selling cars or their true worth.

Ok, take a big breath and relax a little.
Take your time and don't lose money making quick decisions ;)

Cars are a bigger money pits than houses, and depreciate quickly, so unless you're very car knowedgable and can do some repairs (mech and / or body) people will generally find it a painful excercise financially when changing over.

Just a quick point on manual / auto 4bs, manual are probably much more fun to drive, but autos more practical, both for ease driving around town, and on the tracks in general.
Most people agree autos are mostly better off road.

You're probably on the right track with selling your car and buying a 4B in the medium term . . . but maybe if your car is good mechically, you should get your manual licence and drive it for a bit, maybe getting panel / structural damage fixed over a period of weeks / months as finances permits, THEN look at selling and getting a 4B ?

Selling cars just after Xmas / New Year, and EOFY are probably the hardest times to sell, people are generally waiting out extra costs of chrisy and tax time to change cars etc.

If you can find bits and pieces maybe yoiu have a couple of friends that can help remove and refit bits on the car, and then you will only need to have a bit of spray painting done.

MiszRevhead

Ok, take a big breath and relax a little.
Take your time and don't lose money making quick decisions ;)

Cars are a bigger money pits than houses, and depreciate quickly, so unless you're very car knowedgable and can do some repairs (mech and / or body) people will generally find it a painful excercise financially when changing over.

Just a quick point on manual / auto 4bs, manual are probably much more fun to drive, but autos more practical, both for ease driving around town, and on the tracks in general.
Most people agree autos are mostly better off road.

You're probably on the right track with selling your car and buying a 4B in the medium term . . . but maybe if your car is good mechically, you should get your manual licence and drive it for a bit, maybe getting panel / structural damage fixed over a period of weeks / months as finances permits, THEN look at selling and getting a 4B ?

Selling cars just after Xmas / New Year, and EOFY are probably the hardest times to sell, people are generally waiting out extra costs of chrisy and tax time to change cars etc.

If you can find bits and pieces maybe yoiu have a couple of friends that can help remove and refit bits on the car, and then you will only need to have a bit of spray painting done.

Thanks Les,

I have to wait 12 months to get my license in a manual now.

I have accepted the fact that I just might have to fix whatever needs to be fixed on my car to sell it so I'll just have to prepare myself for the expenses of that & everything else I've got going on. I know that hardly anyone is ever able to make a profit on a car, everyone loses out usually.

Last time I went four wheel driving I watched a guy try & climb step ups in his auto 4b. He had to "rock it" to get it up there & couldn't do it in his auto but in a manual he could.

Anyway, I'm not very 4b focused at the moment as I know I won't get one that's right for me in the near future. Just focused on selling my car & doing whatever it may take to do that.

Cheers for the advice & info :)

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
If he could get up steps in the manual and not the auto, he doesn't know how to use the auto. It should be 'easier' going up things in auto's because there is no chance to stall, you can fine tune accellerator input to exactly what you need.

The 'only' downside of an auto is they are 'fast' going down steep hills. This can be solved if you have a spare $2000 to fit reduction gears though...

You won't get much in the $4000 range for a 4wd, it would either be very old or need work...or both. If you can fix things yourself, different story, but buying a $4k 4wd would actually cost you more than that, except for a few bargains that pop up from time to time.

Would agree with the others, fix your around town car. Save some money then work on a 4by. I started with a $10k budget, after looking for a bit, bumped it to $13k, still wasn't happy, went to $15k. When about to check a vehicle at a car yard, it was 30 mins past their opening time and still no show, so moved on to a previous yard which had a patrol beyond my budget ($22k). It was much better than anything we'd looked at (even ones around that price), made the decision, took out a loan to reach higher than my budget allowed. 4 years later, haven't looked back :) (I had to pick up more shifts at the part time job I had, but was worth it)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, the steps problem could have been a couple of other factors too . . . the manual vehicle may have had larger rolling dia tyres, and the auto may not have had low range engaged ?
What sort of auto, was it a true part time 4wd with low range ?

The auto will be a heap easier to go up steps if on the same parameters as a manual in general.

Autos are also far more forgiving on the drive train over the manual transmission, as it acts as a giant shock absorber for the drive train eliminating constant driveline shock.
Good for cv's especially.

My auto with std rims and 29-1/2" dia tyres will go downhill real slow :)
I'm a bit more worried about going to the 31s I want to.

Besides reduction gears, there're a couple of other means to slow descent in both auto and manual 4bs.
You can get an exhaust brake or torque converter lock up.