Alternator Voltage Booster

4WD-FUN

Hi

Couldn't find anything in the forums here, so thought I'd join up and ask. :)

Apologies if this has been asked/discussed before (if so, please direct me), but I'm thinking about adding an Alternator Voltage Booster to my 2012 Toyota Hilux SR5 Diesel. More specifically, I'm looking at purchasing one of the HKB Electronics models, rather than an ABR Sidewinder model or other cheap Chinese made one. At this stage the MK3 appears to be the best option for my vehicle.

I have a dual battery setup with a secondary AGM battery in the tub and both are only charged by the alternator. However, since it's a smart alternator I don't necessarily get enough volts out of it, so would like to increase the voltage somewhat (at least until the time comes if/when I need to replace my alternator - at which point I'd be looking at a better aftermarket option).

So, just wondering if anyone else has used one of these alternator boosters? If so, how reliable have you found it to be? And do you leave it in all the time or just when going away on trips?

RBJET

I ran an ABR one in my 150 Prado for 2 years without an issue. It does help a little but as the engine bay heats up it will still pull the voltage down.
I had a 130 odd amp alternator but that didn't affect the voltage at all.

Neddysmith

Are you able to turn off the smart alternator feature? I know you are able to on a Ranger so only guessing you can do it on all vehicles

CTL

Hi

Couldn't find anything in the forums here, so thought I'd join up and ask. :)

Apologies if this has been asked/discussed before (if so, please direct me), but I'm thinking about adding an Alternator Voltage Booster to my 2012 Toyota Hilux SR5 Diesel. More specifically, I'm looking at purchasing one of the HKB Electronics models, rather than an ABR Sidewinder model or other cheap Chinese made one. At this stage the MK3 appears to be the best option for my vehicle.

I have a dual battery setup with a secondary AGM battery in the tub and both are only charged by the alternator. However, since it's a smart alternator I don't necessarily get enough volts out of it, so would like to increase the voltage somewhat (at least until the time comes if/when I need to replace my alternator - at which point I'd be looking at a better aftermarket option).

So, just wondering if anyone else has used one of these alternator boosters? If so, how reliable have you found it to be? And do you leave it in all the time or just when going away on trips?
Toyotas have a “temperature regulated” alternator, not really a variable voltage or “smart” alternator.
If in doubt about which model suits your vehicle, give Leigh a shout on his website. He is a top bloke and won’t rip you off.