Alternative to drawers

SuperSteve

So I've been thinking about drawers for the 90 series. If I get anything it'll have to be the Kings, and from what I've been reading there's issues with the wings and getting them to fit. It's not a dedicated tourer, so I'm loathe to fully kit it out.

I have no trouble accessing the fridge when it's just sitting in the back so don't really need a fridge slide if I don't get drawers, but my problem is all the tie down points are in awkward spots.

So what I'm considering is these tie down rails. Similar systems on some roofracks I believe, so that might be a potential source too.

Screenshot_20211128-122803_Chrome.jpg

Has anyone done this?
What I'm thinking is removing the loops at the front and back and using those bolt holes. That way i can add as many loops as I like, put them where it's convenient, and I'm thinking heavy duty bags with all the gear, strapped down or perhaps covered with a cargo net.
That way all our gear is stored away out of the vehicle, and we just load up what we want/need when we to away. It's still a daily vehicle, not a dedicated tourer,

The issues I see myself running into are finding the right lengths and the bolt holes not lining up. So I'd probably go a bit longer and go to the local engineering shop and have them cut them to size and drill the holes for me, because i know I'd mess it up. (Plus I don't have the gear to do it anyhow)

And another possible issue is me hating it and taking it out, but they're under $100 vs $500 for the drawers.

The ideal way of doing it would be a false floor with the rails recessed so it's flat without the loops attached, with rails front and back and then left, right and centre. Definitely beyond my abilities, but something i might be able to get made for me down the track if I am happy with this.

Would be happy to hear from anyone who has done it, or foresees any problems with it.

Albynsw

Bunnings sell a similar product that is reasonable in price. Another cheap and easy option would be some Unistrut ( it is the same as the roof rack style system) in either aluminium or steel that would require a couple of holes drilled in it to match your existing bolt holes and then you can add any tie down type points you want along the section to suit your needs

Toyasaurus

The biggest problem you may have is bolting these to the floor, you would have to use existing holes/bolts.

I did something similar in my rangie when it was a work truck to tie gear and parts down, I used the mounting holes for the rear seats,
But I had to make up the brackets and rails, I have the gear to do this sort of thing, punching holes in your truck for bolting things it
can be a challenge, don`t hit anything vital on the underside, if you do remember to use a backing plate.

Alby is right on, I forgot about unistrut, doesn`t look that nice but it will do the job very well, it`s construction grade.

SuperSteve

I figure everywhere there's already a bolt hole is reinforced, which it may not be if i just drill random holes.

The unistrut stuff looks good, but maybe a bit tall. But I'm guessing nothing is going to be particularly flat. It might end up being the easiest option. I think I'll have to check out what Bunnings have and maybe some roofrack places.

Toyasaurus

Bunning`s would probably be the cheapest for unistrut.

If you have to drill holes, use a backing plate, the smallest I used on mine was 50x50x4mm, with a large washer and nylock nuts.

discomatt

Bunnings is the go, roof rack suppliers are horribly expensive and often only have bits for the racks they stock.
Just buy a couple of lengths and drill holes where required in the tracking or the other option is drill holes in the floor and use some washers with bolts and nylock nuts, just put the washers under the floor so the bolts don't pull through when loaded up

MrMiller

I contemplated the kings drawers… couldn’t bare with the weight that those things are! Bloody heavy! I opted to just build my own drawers. All up cost about $350 and a weekend in the yard knocking them up. They are pretty convenient to have things packed away neatly in drawers. I didn’t have to worry about compatibility as I built them to the exact measurements in the back of the Prado 120.

SuperSteve

I contemplated the kings drawers… couldn’t bare with the weight that those things are! Bloody heavy! I opted to just build my own drawers. All up cost about $350 and a weekend in the yard knocking them up. They are pretty convenient to have things packed away neatly in drawers. I didn’t have to worry about compatibility as I built them to the exact measurements in the back of the Prado
The weight is putting me off too.
I've seen some great drawers people have made themselves. One guy based it off Drifta and used teflon runners, and made out of ply it was light and looked sensational.

He is also a cabinet maker.

I have no tools or skills, so it'd cost me a lot to buy the tools and then I'd probably ruin it.

This is why I'm aiming for as simple as possible. I think a good drawer system will be for when we retire and are living out of it for long periods.

Mick_Marsh

I figure everywhere there's already a bolt hole is reinforced, which it may not be if i just drill random holes.

The unistrut stuff looks good, but maybe a bit tall. But I'm guessing nothing is going to be particularly flat. It might end up being the easiest option. I think I'll have to check out what Bunnings have and maybe some roofrack places.
It's only 2cm high.
That's not too bad.
I spec this stuff up all the time:

Albynsw

Here’s another couple of options

The one @Mick_Marsh posted is the type I was referring to earlier, I have it on the roof of my canopy.

You can also check for options at the local plumbing supplies or electrical wholesalers, they carry it in stock but most likely only the galvanised version whereas the low profile alloy one is probably a nicer option

discomatt

quality plastic tubes and tie downs are just as handy as draws except heaps lighter and heaps cheaper and they give the bonus of being easily removed and stored when not needed

SuperSteve

Here’s another couple of options

The one @Mick_Marsh posted is the type I was referring to earlier, I have it on the roof of my canopy.

You can also check for options at the local plumbing supplies or electrical wholesalers, they carry it in stock but most likely only the galvanised version whereas the low profile alloy one is probably a nicer option
I like the look of those because they have angled sides rather than straight up and down. Which is what appeals about some of the roofracks, but they are pricey.

smitty_r51

I made my own set of shelves, total weight about 25kg (can lift it on my own) then use the frontrunner crates to store in, means i can lift in or out what i need and either put it back in the car or carry it into the tent/under the awning if it is a food box etc.

Meant i could tailor the shelves to what i had and what needed a home, on about my 4th iteration but my wood working skills are about the level of sharpening a pencil...give it a go. for $100 worth of ply and a weekend you might come up with a winner.

SuperSteve

I made my own set of shelves, total weight about 25kg (can lift it on my own) then use the frontrunner crates to store in, means i can lift in or out what i need and either put it back in the car or carry it into the tent/under the awning if it is a food box etc.

Meant i could tailor the shelves to what i had and what needed a home, on about my 4th iteration but my wood working skills are about the level of sharpening a pencil...give it a go. for $100 worth of ply and a weekend you might come up with a winner.
Well it's not the $100 of ply that's stopping me, it's the how many hundreds in tools I don't have.

TimNWVic

What I'm thinking is removing the loops at the front and back and using those bolt holes. That way i can add as many loops as I like, put them where it's convenient
No need to remove the plastic ends (although they just push in)- the base of the rings lift up and twist out, you can remove them and place them anywhere you want, whenever you want. I have a similar product on the roof of my canopy.

I think they would be good on the floor in a wagon for strapping down boxes and bags.

The tracks are easily cut to length with a hacksaw.

Buy a cheap cordless drill and drill bit set and a rivnut/nutsert tool. Plenty of youtube vids on how to use them. Then you can put a thread for a bolt wherever you want (check the back of where the hole is to go first though).