Change background image

Alice Springs to Longreach via the Plenty/Donohue

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Kamron, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Kamron

Kamron New Member

Hello all
    Driving out to Uluru in October on a month long trip from Brisbane. I'll be travelling via Adelaide and then heading up north along the Stuart Hwy. On returning back to Brisbane I was wanting to drive the Plenty through to Boulia and then onto Longreach where I can let my wife fly home from there and I'll putt the last bit home by myself. Knowing that google maps can be a bit drunk sometimes in working out calculations, is it any quicker than going via Mt Isa which GM is saying would be an extra 500kms? Im all aware about road conditions but wanting to see roughly what time frames other people have travelled this road in? I'm guessing 2 days would see it out to Boulia easily . Also any suggestions along the way to overnight?
    Thanks

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Alice to Boulia via the Plenty in two days would be OK. I read a report where a couple of vehicles did Alice to Birdsville via the Plenty in one day. Too much.
    Tink

3. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

MATE its better and faster than the satnav way! came thru there a week ago. good road for dirt, the corrugations not bad at 70-80 horrible at 40 but only for about 10 klm a few side tracks around bad spots and road rebuilding but all is open with some tarmac sections, I did notice that coming from Alice side a sign said the Donohue is closed, but its not only a section and there is a bypass put in that actually make's the trip 20 min shorter, you can get fuel at Tobymory station just before you cross the border to QLD pricey but, got to Boulia on dusk after leaving Alice at about 9 am used about 130 lts .
    Boulia greeted me with this,

Attached Files:

• 390.jpg
      390.jpg
      File size:
      3.5 MB
      Views:
  4. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Can also get fuel at Gemtree and Jervois Station
    Tink

5. Kamron

Kamron New Member

Thanks for that, just confirm you managed to do alice to boulia in a day? Im not wanting to be in a rush but with planning ahead, would be nice to know

6. Kamron

Kamron New Member

Cheers for that, whats a ballpark figure on diesel atm?

7. itlldoo

yep was a good run, roads good enough to do 100 at times
    solid day driving though !

8. itlldoo

$1.28 Alice, $1.95 at Tobymory, $1.47 Boulia as of two weeks ago

9. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I've done Boulia to the east macs in a day and that was enough. The track sounds like it is in much better condition now though. We were 23 lb in the tyres and 80 max to protect them. That was 8 years ago though.