Algae in water jerry cans

smokeydk

Active Member
#1
I have 2 off white plastic jerry cans for water ...in holders on my rear of caravan....but they got green algae after 3 days....I was told the light blue ones were better.....so I got 2..but this trip away they got algae too....I'm using rainwater...as I'm allergic to tap water

What do you use ...and what can I do about the algae??
 

Albynsw

Well-Known Member
#2
Maybe rainwater gets algae quicker?? The dark colours are supposed to stop the light for the algae
Wash them out with the baby bottle wash stuff, forgot what it's called
 

muc the truck

Well-Known Member
#3
Bugger if I know . I have carried rainwater and creek water around for weeks and never had a contamination . I am thinking the containers were not cleaned out prior too and has nothing to do with the water.
 

Chatty

Well-Known Member
#4
If you are allergic to tap water, then the usual treatment using bleach (chlorine) is most likely of of the question for you.
Good camping stores sell UV sanitisers which may be useful.
I use a B.E.S.T. Water filter to fill my tanks - it uses silver and charcoal filtration and I am very impressed with the water quality. It also kills most bugs.
 
#7
I think algae can't grow without light. I have a brown plastic 20 liter container that lets in no light. I suspect the white and blue ones do let in some light.
 

Chatty

Well-Known Member
#8
Using rain water you will always struggle with algae growth, because the water hasn't been sanitised. You need the darkest possible water cans (metal would be best) but I still think you need to treat the water in some manner, be it UV, silver, chlorine or whatever.
 

hiluxdriver

Well-Known Member
#9
I think algae can't grow without light. I have a brown plastic 20 liter container that lets in no light. I suspect the white and blue ones do let in some light.
That's what I've heard also. Seems to be why 4wds with PVC tube around their racks for water always paint them black.
 

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
#11
All you need is opaque as possible containers, but most (actually anything) plastic will let some light in . . . I think . . . just looking at my grey Dolium tank, that should be totally lightproof, so maybe some specific water tanks like that ok ok ?
Your run of the mill 15lt, 20lt translucent white drims are going to be an issue, always.

Probably the best thing to take water in aftermarket containers is steel jerries, but the weight !
Comes back to 10lt casks from the supermarket, can't go wrong there.
 

smokeydk

Active Member
#12
Thanks for the replys...I'm convincing myself its the light getting in..I make sure the jerries are cleaned before use...and aired out ...I hate the plastic taste..otherwise
 

Hotdog

Active Member
#13
If you can get hold of it the product they used to use for sterilising baby bottles is called Milton, I think the chemist may sell it.
I used to use it to kill algae build up in the wash tank in film processor tanks.
Make sure you wash well after.
 

ULost2

Well-Known Member
#15
change the water as often as possible
clean container with vinegar
That's all I can suggest atm before I check my 15 lt blue container from bunnings

Vinegar; damn handy stuff
bit like wd40; but I don't think algae control is one of them
 

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
#16
That's a good point also.

I wonder how much light, house water tanks let in. That could be a good comparison also.
They'd be fine mate, like my Dolium water tank, totally opaque (grey plastic).
My Dolium fuel tank though (yellow plastic) you can sort of see a level if there's light behind it, kinda very faint, can't see it in the back fitted.
 

mac_man_luke

Well-Known Member
#17
Got to be something do do with the rain water

Iv had my 15L translucent white water drum filled in the back of my ute with tap water for about 12 months and only ever topped it up. No signs of algae.
 

Chatty

Well-Known Member
#18
Got to be something do do with the rain water

Iv had my 15L translucent white water drum filled in the back of my ute with tap water for about 12 months and only ever topped it up. No signs of algae.
Most likely because of the residual chlorine in the tap water.

One of the issues with rain water is that it isn't anywhere near as clean as people think - it contains dust, bird poo, bird feathers, algae/mildew from the roof and all sorts of other not so nice stuff. Hence why it tends to grow algae in tanks and cans. Plus, if you live anywhere near a reasonably populated area it's quite likely to have asbestos (from vehicle brake pads) and potentially lead from car exhausts - though that is becoming much less of a problem.
The B.E.S.T. filter seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning up tank water.
 
Last edited:
#19
My dad use to use green plastic jerry cans for water, pretty sure they were army issue ones.
Same colour as the green steel fuel Jerry's you get.

He had 2 for over 15 yrs and never a problem.
 

Albynsw

Well-Known Member
#20
Bit of algae won't hurt you anyway
The best tasting water from a stream has algae on the rocks in it

Yes those green army style jerrie's are good
 
Top