Change background image

Algae in water jerry cans

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by smokeydk, Oct 1, 2015.

1. smokeydk

smokeydk Active Member

I have 2 off white plastic jerry cans for water ...in holders on my rear of caravan....but they got green algae after 3 days....I was told the light blue ones were better.....so I got 2..but this trip away they got algae too....I'm using rainwater...as I'm allergic to tap water

What do you use ...and what can I do about the algae??

2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Maybe rainwater gets algae quicker?? The dark colours are supposed to stop the light for the algae
    Wash them out with the baby bottle wash stuff, forgot what it's called

3. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

Bugger if I know . I have carried rainwater and creek water around for weeks and never had a contamination . I am thinking the containers were not cleaned out prior too and has nothing to do with the water.

bugsy likes this.
  4. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

If you are allergic to tap water, then the usual treatment using bleach (chlorine) is most likely of of the question for you.
    Good camping stores sell UV sanitisers which may be useful.
    I use a B.E.S.T. Water filter to fill my tanks - it uses silver and charcoal filtration and I am very impressed with the water quality. It also kills most bugs.

5. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I reckon it might be the rain water; we had zero issues using both light blue and white/clear jerries up north.

Aaron

CaptainBanana likes this.
  6. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

Napisan - add as per recommnded dosage and leave 12 hrs - if it can kill baby shyte it will kill algae:D

Jason Watt and frosty like this.
  7. fredwho

fredwho New Member

I think algae can't grow without light. I have a brown plastic 20 liter container that lets in no light. I suspect the white and blue ones do let in some light.

8. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Using rain water you will always struggle with algae growth, because the water hasn't been sanitised. You need the darkest possible water cans (metal would be best) but I still think you need to treat the water in some manner, be it UV, silver, chlorine or whatever.

9. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

That's what I've heard also. Seems to be why 4wds with PVC tube around their racks for water always paint them black.

10. Albynsw

I thought that was for hot water ?? :oops:

11. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

All you need is opaque as possible containers, but most (actually anything) plastic will let some light in . . . I think . . . just looking at my grey Dolium tank, that should be totally lightproof, so maybe some specific water tanks like that ok ok ?
    Your run of the mill 15lt, 20lt translucent white drims are going to be an issue, always.

Probably the best thing to take water in aftermarket containers is steel jerries, but the weight !
    Comes back to 10lt casks from the supermarket, can't go wrong there.

silkwood likes this.
  12. smokeydk

smokeydk Active Member

Thanks for the replys...I'm convincing myself its the light getting in..I make sure the jerries are cleaned before use...and aired out ...I hate the plastic taste..otherwise

13. Hotdog

Hotdog Active Member

If you can get hold of it the product they used to use for sterilising baby bottles is called Milton, I think the chemist may sell it.
    I used to use it to kill algae build up in the wash tank in film processor tanks.
    Make sure you wash well after.

14. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

That's a good point also.

I wonder how much light, house water tanks let in. That could be a good comparison also.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  15. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

change the water as often as possible
    clean container with vinegar
    That's all I can suggest atm before I check my 15 lt blue container from bunnings

Vinegar; damn handy stuff
    bit like wd40; but I don't think algae control is one of them

16. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

They'd be fine mate, like my Dolium water tank, totally opaque (grey plastic).
    My Dolium fuel tank though (yellow plastic) you can sort of see a level if there's light behind it, kinda very faint, can't see it in the back fitted.

17. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Got to be something do do with the rain water

Iv had my 15L translucent white water drum filled in the back of my ute with tap water for about 12 months and only ever topped it up. No signs of algae.

18. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Most likely because of the residual chlorine in the tap water.

One of the issues with rain water is that it isn't anywhere near as clean as people think - it contains dust, bird poo, bird feathers, algae/mildew from the roof and all sorts of other not so nice stuff. Hence why it tends to grow algae in tanks and cans. Plus, if you live anywhere near a reasonably populated area it's quite likely to have asbestos (from vehicle brake pads) and potentially lead from car exhausts - though that is becoming much less of a problem.
    The B.E.S.T. filter seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning up tank water.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  19. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

My dad use to use green plastic jerry cans for water, pretty sure they were army issue ones.
    Same colour as the green steel fuel Jerry's you get.

He had 2 for over 15 yrs and never a problem.

20. Albynsw

Bit of algae won't hurt you anyway
    The best tasting water from a stream has algae on the rocks in it

Yes those green army style jerrie's are good